Canadian Tire Store 339 / treated like a criminal
As I was trying to use my business swipe Visa card for a purchase, I was asked to show government-issued photo ID. I said no, that the ID (which contains sensitive personal information) was not required for the transaction. The manager was called over, and explained that it was store policy to ask for and require ID. I explained that it was my policy to not show ID unless required by law, and that his agreement with Visa was to accept the card without ID. He refused me service and proceeded to call the police. I told both the manager and police officer what a dumb policy it is, but I agreed to leave peacefully.
But I am still quite angry at being treated like some sort of a criminal. I've shopped at other Canadian Tire stores using the same card without a problem. I do not welcome misguided and unnecessary "fraud prevention" measures which disrespect my right to privacy and make normal benefit-of-the-doubt or innocent-until-proven-guilty type of interactions impossible. If the card is lost I have the number to call to cancel it, and insurance to cover any fraudulent purchases.
More Canadian Tire Store 339 Complaints & Reviews
- Canadian Tire / Yardworks Cordless Reel Lawnmower - it simply does not cut the grass properly! 
- Canadian Tire Mastercraft Tool - would not let me return 
- Canadian Tire - bad customer service 
- Canadian Tire / Yardworks - defective item 
- Canadian Tire / Yardworks - parts service 
- Canadian Tire Emissions Inspection - e test 
- Canadian Tire - return
- Canadian Tire - parts and service
- Canadian Tire - damange to engine auto repair 
- Canadian Tire Store - filthy public washroom