Canadian Tire Store 339 / treated like a criminal

Fort McMurray, AB, Canada Review updated:

As I was trying to use my business swipe Visa card for a purchase, I was asked to show government-issued photo ID. I said no, that the ID (which contains sensitive personal information) was not required for the transaction. The manager was called over, and explained that it was store policy to ask for and require ID. I explained that it was my policy to not show ID unless required by law, and that his agreement with Visa was to accept the card without ID. He refused me service and proceeded to call the police. I told both the manager and police officer what a dumb policy it is, but I agreed to leave peacefully.

But I am still quite angry at being treated like some sort of a criminal. I've shopped at other Canadian Tire stores using the same card without a problem. I do not welcome misguided and unnecessary "fraud prevention" measures which disrespect my right to privacy and make normal benefit-of-the-doubt or innocent-until-proven-guilty type of interactions impossible. If the card is lost I have the number to call to cancel it, and insurance to cover any fraudulent purchases.

Ph
Jan 24, 2015

Comments

• Mk
      28th of Jan, 2015

"If the card is lost I have the number to call to cancel it, and insurance to cover any fraudulent purchases."
    This might be OK for you but the business would be out the money. If the card is good and it is yours then WHY would you give someone such a hard time over a simple request.
    People are outrageous about these types of things.