Canadian Tire / poor service

1 Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada Review updated:

My husband and I went to Canadian Tire today (Dec 20, 2010) to buy a fuse for the headlight of our car. Neither of us know much about cars so we didn't know what kind of fuse we would need or where on the car we would find a fuse box. The man at the parts desk was very helpful but explained that his system didn't have the info that we needed but we could bring in the fuse and the would match it. My husband explained that we didn't know where the fuse box was and the guy said to talk to service and they could tell us. We went over to service and we were explaining our problem when one of the mechanics interrupted my husband and yelled "headlights don't have fuses, sir." and stormed off. After visiting a GM dealership later that day we did find out that our problem was due to a blown fuse and headlights really do have fuses. I have heard many horror stories about Canadian Tire in the past but I thought that something this simple wouldn't be a problem. I guess they have poor service in every way.

Comments

• Mi
      11th of Dec, 2006

I walk in to the store in Vancouver at 1st & Cornwall - 2 huge lines ups and only 2 cashiers open. Not a soul to be found to help anybody out. I persevere, get a bunch of things and wait at the front of the store in a line up for 10 minutes. Get tired, go to the back of the store. That cashier is doing a return... 15 minutes later, I am still in the line up. She has not looked up once to say "I will only be a few more minutes... or sorry to keep you waiting". I get tired and now go back to the front. 10 minutes later, I hear the cashier say to the guy in front of me that they now have a policy that any sale over $20 on Visa needs a drivers license. I have walked and have 2 Visa cards with me, no drivers license. I preserve... I now have an hour of my time invested in this store. The cashier has attitude and is policy driven. One of her peers tells her to go ahead and process the transaction but she is insistent on calling the manager (even though she has rung thru most of my items). The manager comes along and says "no dice - its our policy!"

So Cap Gemini - you may have implemented a CRM but that doesn't change the spirit in these stores. I actually think you want to go out of business! I can purchase thousands of dollars on the internet but not $120 at your store. No apology... no nothing. Just attitude. So clearly, the clerks passed the policy part of the training but have not yet participated in the Customer service part.

• La
      26th of Aug, 2007

I needed a new tire to be installed at Canadian Tire store #2422025 located at Kippling Avenue and Kipling (Toronto). I asked how I have to wait, the employee who was filling the paper work said, around 25 minutes, he then left and another one came and finished the paper work. I asked him again how long I have to wait, he said, 45 minutes. When I told him that your coworker said 25 minutes he said that he does not know what he is talking about. I told him as long as it doesn't go over one hour it's okay.
    I came back after one hour and fifteen minutes and the tire was not installed yet. I asked the same gentlemen that he said 45 minutes what is happening. He said that I may have to wait another 2 hours. According to him the only employee who is working inside the shop made an arrangement with the supervisor and he is going on lunch before now, and when he comes back there is another car that needs to be taken care of before mine. I told him that telling me that the wait time is 45 minutes and 4 hours is unacceptable. I asked to speak to the store manager. The employee picked up the phone and called the manager. The latest said that he/she is not available at the moment.

I find that waiting for 4 hours for a tire to be installed is not acceptable at all, especially when I made it clear that I cannot wait more than one hour. I finished by waiting for one hour and fifteen minutes empty handed without even an apology.

I would like that Canadian Tire head office to look into this matter and get back to me.

PS: From the paper work that I signed the employee that dealt with me is: Andrew Simpson.

The plate number of my car is AZRY471.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to let me know.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Lahouari Nimour

• Co
      2nd of Sep, 2007

I don't understand why people who go to retail establishments think that they should be treated like they are the most important person in the world. Chances are the person you talked to at the service counter didn't realize the circumstances that were happening in the shop that day. There are very very few service centers where you can get your tire repaired in an hour. If the shop is booked with other vehicles then you have to wait. It is a first come first serve business. It is unfortunate you were misinformed of the time it would take to fix your tire but to think that people at the head office should take there time to "fix" the situation is ridiculous. Give your head a shake and realize you are not that important. Obviously retail establishments value their customers but sounds ###ed and unrealistic. Get over it!

• Co
      2nd of Sep, 2007

It's sad that you fail to realize that they were doing this for your protection. Furthermore employees are expected to be policy driven. The policies are in place for a reason. With the amount of fraud that is happening these days you should be thankful that staff are being vigilant to help curb this.

• Ky
      15th of Oct, 2007

I fully agree with Johnny... More the less... take ur heads out of your a###% and you will realize policies are in place to protect the customer. Sure enough... If we didn't check and something happened to your card.. you would complain then as well! Am I right? Of course I am...

• Je
      28th of Dec, 2007

Johnny & Kyle:

You don't need to be my guardian, ok? I can handle my own "protection" and would feel much more exposed to fraud by giving my driver's license (which has my date of birth and address on it), along with my credit card information, to a minimum-wage worker who could potentially take that information and go hog wild with identity theft.

• Je
      28th of Dec, 2007

Johnny C. says, "Give your head a shake and realize you are not that important."

What's "obvious" to me, Johnny, is that you don't know the meaning of customer service and likely work for Canadian Tire. If so, I hope you enjoy your last few years there because they're going down the toilet fast and with attitudes like yours to help them along, they'll be deep within the crapper in record time.
    Wal-Mart, Rona, Zellers, etc all have learned how to treat customers but Canadian Tire steadfastly refuses to learn while insisting that they are somehow a holy, Canadian icon that cannot be touched. Give me a break!

• Mi
      18th of Feb, 2008

What the hell kind of a rule is that ...?

I've never heard of that one before.

Although in contrast, No Frills does not even require a signature for master card purchases under a certain amount... ###ed i'd have to say...

• Ia
      5th of Mar, 2008

I took my vehicle to Canadian Tire ONCE for service, only to have the estimated price mysteriously increase by almost %80. I asked to have all the old parts returned, and this request was noted on the work order before the service began. The parts managed to disappear before I arrived to pick up the vehicle, so my willingness to cooperate also disappeared.
    The situation got noisy and ugly, but I won.

Canadian Tire has reached new highs in LOW customer service. And it's not just in the Auto Service Department.

Every area of every CanTire I've visited has poorly stocked shelves, messy aisles, improperly (or unlabeled) merchandise, and items in the wrong bins.
    Perhaps if they stopped hiring teenagers at minimum wage, and actually TRAINED their staff, most of these problems could be rectified.

And I'm getting really tired of dealing with (otherwise unemployable) females that are too busy yapping with each other to help the customers.

CanTire head office isn't the least bit interested in dealing with the situation. As long as they keep making money nothing will ever change.

I strongly advice everyone to avoid the auto service department, and be sure to complain long and loud about every shortcoming.

Ian Millard
    ianm@imillard.com

• Da
      9th of Mar, 2008

Sorry, but I agree with Johnny C on this one:
    "Chances are the person you talked to at the service counter didn't realize the circumstances that were happening in the shop that day."
    It was a mistake, plain and simple.

• As
      28th of Apr, 2008

To Jeff K.,

You are an idiot. Who the hell do you think you are? If you don't like the policy, get out of the store. They are just trying to help you. But I guess you're a big man who can take care of yourself, right? You don't need anybody. I guess you've never been subject to identity or credit card theft and aren't bright enough to figure out there is a reason behind the poilcy. You're not the center of the universe and that policy is not just in place to disrupt your life. Most people probably think it's great - especially if you've been subject to credit card theft. DUH!

• Pe
      7th of Jun, 2008

On May 21, 2008 at 9:am I phoned Canadian Tire at Park & Tillford in North Vancouver BC to find out how long it would take for them to switch my winter tires to summer tires. I had bought my Micheline Ice X tires the previous winter at the same location. I was advised it would be no more than one hour. I had my summer tires on rims as well as my winter tires. I was not advised at the time of purchase that a lengthy wait may be experienced. I experienced this same scenario last year.

Upon arrival at approximately 9:45 am I went to the Automobile Service Center to check in my vehicle. When the agent looked up my vehicle on the computer he advised it would be 4 hrs before the job could be done. I asked to speak to the Manager and he advised it was not fair to customers ahead of me. I advised him I had phoned approximately 15 minutes earlier and was advised it would be done in less than one hour. I requested to see their work orders to confirm the time of admission on jobs ahead of me. They refused.

After a heated discussion with me they finally agreed to change my tires within an hour as I was leaving for my home in Whistler, BC a two hour highway drive. Upon my arrival to Whistler I drove immediately to the nearest gas station as I felt something was not right with my tires. I checked all tires and two of them seemed low in air. I went to put air in the tire and discovered that the valve stem on one tire was jammed in behind the hub cap. I drove to the nearest auto repair place as the vehicle had to be jacked up to remove the hub cap to release the valve. I was advised that two tires were under the required air pressure. They did not charge me for this service.

Please clarify your policy on a no charge when a customer has purchased goods at your store.

P. MacGregor.

• Wo
      7th of Jun, 2008

Well yah sucks to have complete discrepancy once you get in store for wait times, but of course they did not show you the work orders they have personal information such a phone number, address, and so on.

• Un
      30th of Jul, 2008

What's wrong with people theses days, arguing and fighting over the stupid internet...everyone has their own oppinoin and are allowed to share their opinions even if you don't agree doesn't mean you go and tell them off, that's just being childish and stupid...i think that the whole policy is dumb but whatever, i don't think that's EVERYTHING that the person was even talking about, i hate it when employees are rude, it just makes you feel like ### for buying stuff from their store...now that's just my opinoin, if you disagree, so be it, don't complain about it to me.

• We
      2nd of Sep, 2008

My husband bought a plan from canadian tire for service on our car, the oil change is $19.99 we explained that we used synthetic oil and we were told we would have to pay a minimum extra charge, $5 or $10 dollars, i just went to make an appointment and was told by Shawville Canadian Tire that it would be $30.00 more. I really think this is totally unfair

3rd of Sep, 2008

your absolutely right the service is terrible at Park and Tillford Canadian tire

• Wo
      20th of Oct, 2008

Jeff K,
    "Doing it for our protection?! Who the hell do you think you are? If Visa, MC, or Amex don't require their cardholders to show photo ID to use their cards, who are you to insist otherwise?"

Well to use their cards you have to go to a retailer, or somewhere that is selling something. And you are stupid.

• Ju
      11th of Nov, 2008

I am trying to find out how much canadian tire money do you get in Newfoundland at the gas bars. When I was in Edmonton Alberta I would get 7 cents on the dollar.
    Here in Clarenville Newfoundland gas bar how much canadian tire money do you get on the dollar.

Thanks
    Judy

• Ca
      5th of Jan, 2009

You stupid idiot! ever heard of FIRST COME FIRST SERVE! Just because you called from your house, everyone who comes before you get there must WAIT for you to arrive and have your car done BEFORE theirs even tho they were first? GEE TALK ABOUT SELFISH!

I would have LOVED to have been the one you complained to!

• Gp
      19th of Aug, 2009

on august 11 i dropped off a pickup tire at the canadian tire store in stephenville and was advised the tire would be replaced on warranty.i was also advised that a tire would be coming in from the canadian tire store in port aux basques a distance of 160 Kms. after two trips to the store in stephenville and 8 days later i am still waiting for my tire. excellent service.