Canadian Tire / bad customer service

Hi all. On April 10th 2006 I purchased battery from the Canadian Tire in Port Coquitlam B.C. for my motorcycle. On July 28th 2006 it died, lasting only 15 weeks. I was quite a ways from home (2.5 hours) or a Canadian Tire when this happened, so I had to purchase a new battery. The store offered to hold my battery for a while incase I was able to pick it up. I was not able to get the battery myself but a friend was passing the store on her way to my place and brought it to me, that was October 20th 2006.

On Sunday the 22nd I went to the store with the battery and receipt. I spoke with an associate in the store and was informed the warranty had expired 10 days earlier so she could do nothing for me because if she did it would come back on her as the warranty had expired at midnight 10 days earlier. She suggested I phone the next day and talk to one of the managers, Sean. I spoke with Sean on Monday the 23rd and basically all he said was that since it was past the 'magic date' they could do nothing as the store would not be reimbursed and they would lose money on it. That same day I phoned Canadian Tire's 800 customer service number to see if they could help. All they did was repeat what Sean had said, if it's past the magic day, then they would do nothing for me.

Yes I know that the warranty was technically over but for a few short days they are willing to lose a customer ? The money they may have lost on the battery would have been made up in short order with my future purchases as I in the store weekly. They will be losing a lot more because they chose not to provide good customer service, or any customer service for that point.

There is NOTHING Canadian Tire sells that I can't get else where. In fact the battery I bought from Discount Battery Warehouse replace theirs was $15 cheaper and has double the warranty.

D  15th of May, 2007 by
I bought a Motomaster eliminator battery under 3 years ago. It is still under warranty, however after a break up with my girlfriend she so kindly threw all of my paper work out including my booklet for the battery. The manufacturer date is still on the battery as well as all of the serial numbers. They are all in perfect reading order. Canadian tire will not come good for it.
A  17th of Jun, 2007 by
I always go to the Canadian Tire on Des Laurentides in Vimont Laval and everytime I go to ask for help no one seems to want to help. Or they make me wait. One time I was told that the manager is busy and that I have to wait 10 minutes. I went yesterday and I asked for help and I was to asked to ask another clerk because he was busy. We all know when you go ask someone else they tell you it's not their department. There's a way to talk to the client. I just left and did not purchase anything. I probably will not return to that store. Don't they give customer service courses? I will not give my money were people don't want to serve me.
A  1st of Aug, 2007 by
Do you know Canadian tire forces you to pay for their tire installation?!@!@#$@
The guy was like "what you're not having us install these tires?" "then we won't honor the warranty".

Even if you have a professional mechanic install tires you buy from them "THE WARRANTY IS VOID". All other places that sell tires do not force this on you, they honor the warranty no matter where the tire is installed.

What a scam and on top of that they are known to have the worst mechanics! Most of their people are rude and honestly don't care!
A  10th of Aug, 2007 by
My mother paid ~$1500 for both her cars to be fixed at a Canatian Tire garage. I was driving one of them home so she gave me $20 cash for gas and suggested I use her $4.10 she had just received. In good faith I pumped in $24.09 at the Canadian Tire gas station/convenience store on the same property as the garage. The young cashier told me that they didn't accept CT money. I offered the $4.10CT money and he told me no I had to go get a dollar and he would keep the CT money. He threatened to call the police if I did not leave the CT money as collateral. I gave my word to return but he refused to let me leave. I said ok call the police. While he was on the phone I remembered I had empty beer bottles in the trunk. I brought 18 bottles to the cashier and said does that cover it. The manager/owner nodded to him, while still on the phone. I said "good then keep the 'bleeping' change", and I left.

Do I have grounds for a criminal or civil complaint against this franchisee for harassment, blackmail threats causing my unlawful detention.

The garage told me they are a completely independent franchise from the gas station even though they share a property and the Canadian Tire brand name.

I will write a complaint to Canadian Tire's board of directors and will see about investing in the companies stock so that I may one day have some sway in having this Canadian Tire franchisee on Taschereau boul. Longueuil Quebec revoked.

Nicholas Roach

P.S. He refused to speak english to me but understood every word I said in that language.
A  2nd of Sep, 2007 by
Canadian Tire stores are independently owned. You cannot purchase "stock" so your dream of owning a piece of that store in ###ed. This is why you don't assume things.
A  21st of Oct, 2007 by
It's my fault. On August 28/2007 I made the mistake of going back to Canadian Tire after refusing to walk into any of their stores for a few years. A friend of mine had told me about the great deals they had on mountain bikes and I listened to my wallet instead ob my better judgment. I foolishly went to the Canadian Tire store at Dundas Street East, just east of Dixie Road in Mississauga, Ontario and bought my 9 year old son a mountain bike that was on sale for $165 (Reg $399 at Can Tire). Less than 4 weeks later the chain and derailleur snapped. I took the bike back to the store with my visa bill (clearly indicating the purchase) as I had lost the original bill. I was told by the sports dept. manager on duty, that all they can do for me is to fix the bike. He also advised me that it would take about a week and then they would call me. 4 weeks later I'm still waiting for the call. I called them last week and was told that the "parts" haven't come in yet. I guess that the chain and derailleur are still in the design stage at NASA.

No one can accuse Can Tire of bad service as the word service is not in their vocabulary. If I didn't know better, I would think there was a conspiracy going on by their employees to put them out of business. I just hope they fix the bike before spring 2008 so I can start the process of forgetting they even exist.
N  29th of Oct, 2007 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
This is for u Clayton. IT IS NOT OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO LOOK AFTER YOUR PAPER WORK KEEP TRACK OF YOUR RECEIPTS. If you feel that they are responsible for your break up (I would laugh long and hard at you) then go ahead and whine.
N  19th of Nov, 2007 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
2 days ago bought elliptical trainer-exercise machine on sale for $299. Took hours to assemble. Does not work right, theres no resistance when you crank the level up. Simply I put it straight in my truck on my own that day, quite heavy. Took it straight back. I did not disassemble it and try squish it back in the box. In fact I thought I might be doing them a favor and they can set it in the sporting goods dept. as a demo since they didn't have one of that model on demo so far!

Well they won't take it back. They tell me to call the 1 888 number in the manual, where it actually tells you to call first. I asked for store manager and she came and backed up the girl in customer service without showing any interest in what I said or how long I owned it and never used it yet!

They tell me the manufacturers warranty will cover it... thats just fine I said, but its brand spanking new and defective, I do not wish to spend weeks waiting for techs to come and order parts and then come to install the wrong part and reorder other parts (you know how it goes). I said I simply want to exchange if I can not even return it for refund. No go. had it been tidily packaged up in the box would they have given me a refund? I could have said I never used it! I was just plainly honest about it.

They sent me to their pay phone to call the 1 888 number. Spent 1/2 hour waiting on hold. I am told by the manufacturer that I can have it repaired, or depending on the store they should refund me. I said and thats for certain, you DO NOT have to fix it. They said no, if the store I use will take it back then thats fine.
I go to the customer service and then am asked what Return Authorization # did they give me?! I said that they should have told me to ask for that, since I had no clue and had not expected any numbers.

It was useless. I had to go home at this point and cool down. I phoned the 1 888 again, this time taking 45 minutes to get through. Got another lady, she said the same thing. Depending on store policy they should take it back, or I can have it repaired. I stressed that it was brand new never used and I do not wish to go through any repair ordeal for something I just put together. Anyway, she said theres no such thing as Return Authorization # that they use, they can't give me or Canadian Tire them self any such number. She did give me a case # and her name. She told me hate Canadian Tire people need to call them perhaps, they'll tell them for me, but theres no extension # and they have to use the 1 888 # too.

I had also emailed their online support line too, and they gave me the exact same answer! So I was satisfies theres no such thing and I should be able to return it.

By this time between me, myself and I we figured that the electronic magnet "resistance motor" was not making any adjustment noises like they do on all the other demos I have used. I explained this to everyone to show "willing" and that I just am not simply trying to return something I now decide I don't want for no reason.

I call Canadian Tire back from home to tell them theres no such thing as Return Authorization #s at this manufacturers. Now the girl tells me I need to talk to Sporting Goods manager, why now?! ...too many people are getting involved, and I have to reiterate everything all over again. So I did. I gave her the case # because she said she has to call the company herself. So an hour later she calls back to say that the girl she got knew nothing about giving out Return Authorization #s, must be new, and transfered the Canadian Tire lady... got voice mail, so she left a message for someone to call her back with a Return Authorization number. So I tell her theres no such thing. No one obviously called back at all and I am still waiting, all part of the inevitable... that I think I will end up fixing it. Maybe it'll be Christmas before that happens.

We have been so mad about it all, anywhere else would simply even exchange it... not Canadian Tire.
A  3rd of Dec, 2007 by
They are the worst crooks i came across, For an online item , which was not delivered, they kept on charging me 3 times. It took 8 months to resolve the issue for the product which I never bought. They misused my credit card on three occasions , kept billing me for same thing repeatedly. Even if it is for once that was that would have been logical , since they are suppose to charge and then refund, for undelivered product. Inspite of that three time they billed, Whatever complaints i sent i got tonnes of automated reply, nothing from human being who understood my concern. I sent them registered letter , even than there was no reply.

Finally I had to take up this matter with TD BANK , who initially said i would have bought three times. Finally it got resolved when talked to senior officers in bank, else i would have almost lost 560 dollars for the product I never bought, it was three times the actual product cost even if they had delivered . Funniest part is that these crooks don't answer in their stores, with online complaint they just send you automated messages, there is no phone or fax number or direct email on which we can contact them.

Absolute thief and ripoff. Some banks support their scams because they benefit mutually from the customer rip off.

Had i not wasted 8 months to teach these crooks lesson, they would have almost ate my money.If any one willing to sue them, i can support fully with all evidences. These beggars didn't even apologize for the mistake. So rude and hegemonist.
D  10th of Dec, 2007 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Stop complaining like little 4 year old babies . You buy an item from canadian tire, they only honor what the manufacturer says about the warranties, it's not them who decides about the warranties ok, that's not so hard to understand
N  3rd of Feb, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I worked in the Service Dept. at Sears, as a student, for some years. When a customer broguht a defective item back that was just out of warranty it was honored, to keep customers happy and coming back and buying more. A company that can't see the wisdom and fairness in this policy has real problems, one of which is probably greed.

By the way, I unfortunatly had CT do a "repair" and tune-up and they didn't check any fluids and "forgot" to reconnet the ground wire on my battery. Real "experts" or crooks, not sure which. Also, when I asked for a winter tune-up the mechanic gave me a look like I was from Mars. I had to explain, check the plugs, timing, etc... only the plugs were checked and changed and a half-assed job at a crazy price.
N  18th of Feb, 2008 by
This comment is for Sandra Kapsopoulos

u mentioned.. as i quote

"I just left and did not purchase anything. I probably will not return to that store. Don't they give customer service courses? I will not give my money were people don't want to serve me."

--if you feel that canadian tire did not give u the royalty service which u had expected, they why don'y YOU work for canadian tire and help urself?
Go to Wal-Mart and try to find an associate there? all i can say is GOOD LUCK. however Canadian tire does not so personal shopping for people and YOU my friend are not considered FIRST PRIORITY to Canadian Tire. So dont expect for managers to kiss ur feet when u walk in to the store.

-- NO customer service courses are not given. however you should get yourself checked as i feel that your expectations are too high. and having said that people probably would not want to serve you because ur attitude seems like that of a nagging 80 year-old women. However if you feel that customer service courses should be given to associates, then maybe you should apply to teach them, since you seem to be so clever.
A  27th of Apr, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Avoid Canadian Tire car batteries.

Their warranty is practically worthless.
A  13th of May, 2008 by
When I was travelling to work in New Minas, Nova Scotia on April16, 2008, my brake light came on and because I carry fluids and tools in my vehicle, I put brake fluid (emptied the last 1/2 of the container) and figured that may help until I could get home to my own mechanic. When I turned off on Exit 11 and stopped at the stop sign, the brakes sounded as though they were grinding, then at the next stop signs, on my way to work, they were actually crunching.
I phoned my mechanic back home and he was leaving for a 2 week vacation, so advised me to have it seen to in New Minas, as it would not be safe to travel home that day.
One of my co-workers, advised me to phone Canadian Tire to have the work done and when I explained that the light had come on and that I had put quite a bit of brake fluid in it, and then that the brakes were making a crunching sound, and that my mechanic back home, advised me to get the brakes fixed, he said he could take my vehicle at 1:00 PM, so my co-worker followed me up to the store and drove me back to work.
The worker at Canadian Tire asked my name and said he knew about the problem from the phone call and took down my address and license plate and said he would call me regarding the cost. When he phoned he said that my vehicle needed new rotars and pads and a new tie rod end (total of $286.91)...so I picked up my vehicle around 5:30 and drove away, noticing that the brake pedal seemed sitting low to the floor to brake, and after travelling the long distance home, on the divided highway, where braking was not necessary, until I reached Dartmouth, it became more obvious.
The next day I phoned and spoke with the person who was responsible for the order and he said " Oh, there is probably just air in your brakes" and he said it was not unsafe and then set up an appointment for the next Wednesday to take it back in to New Minas for them to fix this problem.
On my way home that night, the brakes totally let go going down a steep hill and I had to jam on my emergency brake to avoid crashing into the back of a car. This was very frightening, thinking that it would cause me to push that car into the car ahead of it which was stopped at a stop sign.
On Saturday, I phoned Cole Harbour Canadian Tire, who inspite of a busy schedule, fitted me in for repairs, as soon as they knew it was my brakes. They had to replace 3 brake lines, a wheel cylinder and replace the brake fluid. They were very efficient.
A person could be travelling on their vacation and have a mechanical problem, and drive away with it unrepaired. Wow, doesn't that SHATTER YOUR CONFIDENCE!!!
A  19th of May, 2008 by
Last year I decided to by myself a bike so i wouldnt have to use the car for short erands. I looked around then saw canadian tire had their hooligan model on sale at half price and too me it looked pretty solid and it would last me a while. My friends who actually do the whole "hardcore" biking told me to find something else becaus i would regret it too which i didnt listen and regretted it. So I went to the store found one of the only sales people in that department asked them if the bike was good for me and all that they said it would do.

I rode the bike and it felt pretty good felt solid I never did any off road type of stuff just a-b errand stuff. Then about a wek after I got it i was going up a steep hill with my ### planted to the seat in the lowest gear not goin fast at all, when the front rim gave into and "s" shape and i went over the handle bars, not hurt just pissed i had to walk it home.

A friend to the bike back for me because i was occupied. They told the canadian tire people what happened they said they wouldnt take it back because their bike "mechanic" said it was because o misuse. So being royaly pissedand bascially out 200 bucks i went back with my friend hell bent on gettin my money back. I waited in the return line for a good 20 minutes old the 16year old know it all representive what happened and then she told me that they dont cover their bikes as returns too which i said get me your manager who pointed me to the sportig goods manager who said that it's clearly stated on a big sign that they dont take them back ( the sign was the size of a poster with ity bitty writting saying they dont take their bikes back and tey dont cover their rims)but they my beable to fix it but it would depend if there expert mechanic decided it so. After waiting ten minutes for this short ### stoned sob to show he recognized my friend and started to talk to him instead of me which i could understand but said listen i told you your friend misused it at which point i cut him off and said listen i wasnt misusing it im not an idiot who does stupid tricks i used it normally then it quit. He then said sure he could fix it but it would take a week too which i said why didnt you tell that to my friend before too which he studdered and walked away with my bike and phone number. 2 weeks roll by he calls says its ready i get it and the thing has ne hell of a wobble but works.

Long story short dont buy sporting goods from canadian tire because it aint that cheap and it aint good and they dont cover their ###.
N  5th of Jul, 2008 by
I purchased a Mastercraft drill from canadian tire june 14th 2008. I was not happy with it. So I brought it back two weeks later with the receipt and all the parts with it. After I told the customer service lady there is nothing wrong with it and that I just didn't like the drill - so I would like to exchange it. She proceeds to look at me then the drill go through it will a fine tooth comb and say "are you sure it's not broken?", looking at me like I am lying.

She then calls someone on the phone. Then proceeds to tell me I am missing a small cardboard advertisement that is located on the case of the drill, and because of this will have to charge me 10% to return the drill because some of the packaging is missing!!! I couldn't believe that!! She wanted to charge me $15 for a piece of garbage cardboard!!! I said no way. I said that if she looked in the display case now, most of the drills did not have that cardboard piece, and I am sure mine didn't either.

She still would not do anything. This is the best part. I asked to speak to a manager, she calls someone, puts down the phone, and says, "The Manager doesn't want to talk to you." I was set back a bit... Then I said what if the drill was broken? she said she would return it no problem. So If I lied and said that the drill was bad, I would have had no problem!!! Wow!!! this is just one way Canadian Tire is losing out to bigger American stores that know a lot more about customer service.

I learned that if you want something done at Canadian Tire you just have to lie straight to there face, or just avoid going in at all!
D  12th of Jul, 2008 by
Well it does say complete packaging...And as far as lying that would just make you ### if you lied to get what you wanted. And just to let you know as it seems your small mind doesn't see that we have the oppurtunity to lie all day long not just at Canadian Tire.
N  25th of Jul, 2008 by

Canadian Tire - Very bad customer service
Canadian Tire

I had a very bad experience with Canadian Tire although I have been a loyal customer for more than 5 years.

Everything started in April 2008 when I discovered gas was leaking when I was filling up the gas tank. I brought the car to Canadian Tire in Ville St-Laurent. I thought the problem was the pipe leading to the tank but they said that there was a hole in the tank. Fine. I approved the work and I paid.

The next time I put Gas in the car the gas was still leaking heavily under the car. This was two months after the work was done on the car. This might sound like a lot of time to fill up the gas tank again but this our second car and we live near a subway station. So, I essentially I drive the car once a week to go to the gym during the week end while my wife go to see her parents in the suburb. Anyway, nobody needed to trust me on this one, the odometer showed clearly that the car had only a limited number of additionnal kilometers since the last time I came to Canadian Tire. That's was not even the equivalent of two Gaz tank as my car consumes 12 liters per 100 kilometers.

Here it starts

I called the mecanics in the afternoon the following day.
- Hi, my name is Oliver you left me a message regarding my car, I am calling you back.
- The mecanics being very arrogant: ''Yeah I left you a message, that was like 6 hours ago!''

Sorry my friend, I brought the car the day before, I gave the number to reach me at the office and you called me at home. I tend to be somewhat busy during the day as I am a director in a big canadian company like Canadian Tire for example. So I do not spend my time checking my voice mail at home.

Once I made the mecanics realized (he kept arguing it was my fault) he had been very arrogant for nothing he explained me that the problem was the pipe leading to the Gaz Tank.
There was still a warranty on the last job but it was related to the Gas Tank not the pipe so I would have to pay for the part and the time.
I thought it made sense to pay for the part but not the time as the problem should have been diagnosed when the Tank was changed. Remember, the problem repeated itself the first time I filled up the gas tank.

I spoke to the car centre manager. It took me 30 minutes to reach him as I was transferred and put on hold between 3 different persons.
He said that my problem was related by normal use and that it could not have been diagnosed before. I tried all the argument. I was not even offered a discount and I did not even get an excuse for the inapropriate behaviour of its employee.
Remember, I have been a customer for more than 5 years without any complaints.
I said that I refused to do the job and I will come to get my car in the evening. the only I asked was to make to sure to have my latest bill including the warranty at the entrance as it was kept by them the day before.
When I arrived there, the document was nowhere to be found. I had to wait 20 minutes to be told that I would have to come back tomorrow. I did not come back. This Canadian Tire is at 20 minutes from my house.

Today! I decided to call the store manager. I had received an automatic dialer call this week to invite me to call him directly if I had any complain about the service I received. I spent 20 minutes on the phone. I was transferred between 3 different employees. Each one said they would transfer me to the store manager. After that, somebody hanged up on me. So decided to write this complain on my vacation day.

N  27th of Jul, 2008 by
I was given a Christmas Gift of two sets of dishes from Canadian Tire by my daughter. I did not like the mugs that came with the dishes so took them back to the Orangeville store where I was told that if I didn't have a receipt then I couldn't return them. A few months later I was in a Brampton Canadian Tire and saw a large notice saying that there were no returns unless accompandied by a recipt BUT you could return items for a store credit with some exceptions. Once again I returned the dishes to the Orangeville store but was told that there was absolutely no credit for returns without a receit.

Guess who won't be shopping at Canadian Tire again.
N  7th of Sep, 2008 by
I baught a quad from Canadian Tire in Kamloops it lasted not even one year.Then it would not start and come to find out the cdi box went on it.So try to get parts for it and they say go to Shultz Motor Sports then they say you have to call some where else.So needless to say it is still not running.I think it is just stupid that they can sell a product then tell you to run around and find your own parts for something that was almost $5000.I think if you sell a product you should get the parts or have the parts for the customer.If you can't you should not sell it. I have heard that there is alot of problems with the cdi boxs on these quads.If i would have known this or even that Canadian Tire could not get the parts I would have spent my money some where else.I have baught alot of big items from Canadian tire like thequad, shed, rototiller, electric dirt bike, alot of tools like table saw, rotor, about $4000 in hand tools.But if you can not help with getting my part for the quad I will no longer spend money at canadian tire i will go some where else.

Canadian Tire Logo Canadian Tire