Canadian Model & Talent Convention / RIP OFF

1 Canada Review updated:

This convention is a joke and total rip-off!! The agencies that go to this are not among the top UNION agencies-if you look them up on the ACTRA website-they will not be listed as agencies that ACTRA recognizes!!! Reputable agencies DO NOT solicit talent, advertise by media or other means and offer their own photographer and acting classes!!! RIP OFF!! Do not be fooled by this convention-it is a cash grab that you are paying to have these agents fly in and enjoy themselves for 4 days on your $$$$!!! Do yourself a favour, get good head shots done(not by these agencies), take reputable acting lessons. The only way you will get in to the TOP AGENCIES is by referral only!!! DO NOT be fooled by the ones that use cattle calls to get people because you will just be 1 in a million that they have on their roster. BIG AGENCIES are SELECTIVE!!! SO DON"T BE FOOLED WITH THE GLAM OF THIS CONVENTION-RIP OFF!!! THEY SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN!!!

Comments

• Iw
      14th of May, 2013

I just threw $2000 down the toilet attending this 'convention' with my daughter. Talk about being taken! She did not have the opportunity to show her book to anyone. Just had 10 seconds to parade around the room in front of agents with two shots. During the runway competition, most of the agents were texting or chatting to one another. The seminars were not worth the money. One agent got up and didn't have anything prepared so just opened the floor to questions which were the same questions that were answered in other sessions. $75 a ticket for dinner which consisted of a terrible salad, one chicken breast, 3 small baby potatoes and a few carrot pieces. $225 for three people. $50, 000 when we totalled up the number of people at the dinner. Complete scam. They make you stay for the dinner and overnight one more night to check call backs on Sunday morning. This was completely unprofessional and unorganized. My daughter did not receive any callbacks. I can't believe what a fool I was for being sucked into this scam!

• Sc
      8th of Jul, 2013

I'm sure that if I had attended this convention the exact same thing would have happened to me. This is why I'm so glad I didn't attend but by the time I wanted a refund on this whole bogus convention it was too late! I had already signed the registration agreement where CMTC'S Policy says NON-REFUNDABLE/NON-TRANSFERABLE. I had to consult a lawyer before signing a three year contract as well or else I would have been stuck going to this convention for the next three years with no promise/guarantee or work whatsoever! If you're rich, and have plenty of money to spend then make this a 4 day weekend purely for fun, the experience, and maybe a trophy or two at the end of the convention. Otherwise I would strongly recommend staying far away!

• Ar
      14th of Jan, 2015

CMTC was a great experience for my child and our family. It not only taught us more about the industry but also taught us what is expected of our daughter if she is to succeed with her dreams. If you go to CMTC planning to become famous quickly, then you are surely to be disappointed. Similarly to expecting any child to become a professional dancer, hockey player, or gymnast etc...I signed the contract as well, and nothing in it states or promises anything other than experience, education, and putting you or your childs name out there. My daughter did not receive many callbacks, but she has gained the knowledge she needs in order to improve if she wishes to continue in this industry. By the sounds of a lot of these complaints, they are coming from bitter people who shouldn't have went in the first place. Nothing in this world comes for free, and just as I pay over to $2000 a year for my sons hockey (whom inevitably probably will never become an NHL player) I will also pay $2000 or more for my daughter to chase her dreams. (And no, I am not rich and I don't just have the money to throw away). I do not usually comment on these types of websites, but I'm astonished by some of these comments. I will not bash a well established industry or convention just because my daughter and I did not get everything 100% our way.

• Pr
      18th of Oct, 2018

@AReid67 Good on you for posting this! I agree with you 100%! My daughter has not yet attended the convention; however she has been one of those selected to go this upcoming year. You just helped in making my decision to register her even clearer. Thank you.