[Resolved] Camp Australiadisgusting treatment of children due to error *theirs* in accounting

D Mar 08, 2017 Review updated:

I booked my 9yr old into before school care for the first term of this year and have had nothing but grief culminating in todays incident. They have been unorganised from the beginning starting with their reassurance that the same carers would be at the school everyday. The first 2 weeks there was a different carer every day and when I made comment about it even the carers agreed they were very unorganised and didn't know who was supposed to be permanent carers at the moment. You'd think they would have made arrangements before the beginning of school year.

When I received my first invoice I noticed that they had not included my child care benefit. As instructed by their invoice notes, I "contacted them for help to resolve the issue" and they said that Centrelink had told them my daughter wasn't in care and they couldn't do anything else about it - they were supposed to inform Centrelink!

When I contacted Centrelink they said there was no problem with CCB and ensure the record was correct. I contacted Camp Australia back and ensured them the CCB could be attached to the account. As they couldn't tell me how much the final payment would be they put me on a "payment plan" so than when the due date came around, I wouldn't be charged any late payment or dishonour fees and my daughter would not be excluded from care. This would allow time for them to re-process the invoice and when I received it I could make payment by the due date of the invoice.

The date of issue of this invoice was 25 February and the due date was 9 March 2017 (tomorrow).

I then received an email on the 3rd stating that they had tried to take payment from my account on the 1st and it failed and requested that I pay it immediately. I replied to this email and explained what I was told previously, that I had received the invoice and the due date was 9 March. They replied that evening saying they were very sorry for the error, if any late fee or dishonour fee was charge I would be reimbursed and the full adjusted amount would be debited from my account on the 9th as per their invoice.

Drop off on Monday was fine but when we got there this morning, my daughter and I were abruptly told, in front of a room full of parents and children mind you, that she had been excluded. When I asked why, her answer was to show me the sign on book that doesn't have her name on it. When I asked again she said "I don't know but she's not on our list". Naturally, as she had deeply upset and humiliated my daughter in from of the entire room, I was fuming. I stepped out of the room to call head office - twice. The first time I was put on hold and disconnected. While I was on hold for a second time I called the woman out of the room and said that I was disgusted and how dare she humiliate my child like she did and if that was the way she treated children she shouldn't be able to work with them. When I finally got off hold, they informed me that she hadn't been excluded at all, she would find out why it had been said and would call me back.

At this stage I am very late for work and having to explain to a very unhappy boss that I have to drop my daughter at school myself as I had no other care for her (solo mum) and would be in later.

Several phone calls and an upset child not wanting to go back there later...

While this current issue could have easily been cleared up as a misunderstanding or misinformation from Camp Australia staff, this new woman and the disgusting way she treated, and the position she put my daughter in this morning, I’m sorry but “providing feedback” is nowhere near good enough.  This woman should not be working with children and humiliating them like this.  Don’t they get trained in this sort of communication or does Camp Australia get their invoices paid via a regime of humiliating children and parents in front of audiences.  I certainly hope she is not let loose on other families.

It is trying to be explained off by saying the payment plan was for the first invoice that wasn’t paid but these are the facts:

THE INVOICE I WAS TRYING TO SORT OUT, AND THE PAYMENT PLAN THAT WAS PUT IN PLACE AND REINVOICED WHEN GOVERNMENT BENEFITS WERE ALLOCATED WAS THE FIRST INVOICE.  AT NO TIME DID ANYONE SAY I STILL HAD TO PAY THE FIRST INVOICE.  AS FAR AS I WAS TOLD THE $66 WAS DUE ON 9 MARCH.

After reading several other reviews and finding out that Camp Australia has been banned from tendering to government run schools due to issues like this, I have pulled my daughter out of care, paid the invoice less the amount of hours I was late for work and am reporting them to the school and other relevant authorities.

• Resolution Statement

• Camp Australia Customer Care's Response · Jun 14, 2018

Thank you for reaching out, please get in contact with our Customer Care team on [protected] or email [protected]@campaustralia.com.au. Make sure to include your customer account number so we can verify your identity. The team are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (except National Public Holidays).

• J
      Aug 23, 2017

Hi there,
    I work with Seven's Sunday Night and I am working on a story about complaints against Camp Australia.
    I was hoping I might be able to speak with you and find out more information about your experience? I won't identify you and it will all be off the record until you say otherwise. My email is [protected]@seven.com.au.