Camerabox UK / Warning, avoid Camerabox.co.uk : Failed to refund

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

Ordered a camera from camerabox.co.uk which they charged my card for straight away but later emailed to say that it was not in stock. I asked for a refund of the money paid but after a month there was no refund. I sent several more requests for a refund but have still not been refunded. Camerabox have stolen my money from me and do not reply to emails. Avoid this company and buy a camera from amazon.co.uk or another reputable company. Search Google for camerabox reviews and you will see that a lot of people have complaints about camerabox.

To

Comments

• Ra
      1st of Mar, 2009
    Best Best Advice +4 Votes

THEY STOLE MY MONEY TOO
    Exactly the same here! Dont buy ! with Camerabox.com uk
    Only had my money 10 days now, but my bank can help me get it back when 30 days have passed. ... Great!

7th of Mar, 2009

If you search Google for camerabox reviews you will see that a LOT of people have had similar problems with this company.

• Bu
      10th of Mar, 2009

Report them to Watchdog (BBC) and trading standards or Which? (consumers association)

24th of Mar, 2009

Sounds like they are a scam:

16th of Jun, 2009

Well I got my camera but a delay gave me cause to google them and if I could do it all again I would go elsewhere. Have you checked out their returns policy ? You have to jump through hoops. If it all works out for you then fine but for a few pounds more you can usually find a company that offers a no quibble guarantee. Think you will find their extended warranties are not worth the paper they are (not) written on.

• On
      26th of Jun, 2009

I've bought from this company before and never had a problem. It seems only the unsatisfied ever write anything about companies. If as their website says, they sold 100, 000 cameras last year, even if you could find 100 people online who have had problems that's only 0.1% of their total sales that have not been successful. Image twice that actually had problems (but only half reported or wrote about it) and you're still only at 0.2%. I'd imagine well known retailers such as Amazon would struggle to match that sort of performance. If watchdog or trading standards haven't done anything about the problem, doesn't it suggest that there isn't a problem relative to other retailers around.

• Am
      27th of Jul, 2009

This is not unique to CameraBox. I placed an order with a company called Lilimay earlier this year, total con. They advertise stock at best available price, but it is invariably out of stock. So they have to refund your credit card but, as if by magic they forget to do so. Nice way to pocket their customers money. Theiving gypsy bas**ds!!

4th of Aug, 2009

Made a purchase on the 27.07.2009, they promptly charged my credit card, then... there's a problem with my order.
    They ask me to call the sales reprentative (this is a first for a company that sells online!), but number is always unavailable!
    I emailed them over and over again saying I cannot reach that number... and they tell to call them!

COMPLETE SCAM THIS COMPANY they have my money and I have no camera!
    Andre, Portugal

• Jr
      7th of Aug, 2009

I have had and continue to have problems with Camerabox. I amended my order, followed by several emails and phone calls to confirm amendment. Although I was assured my amended order would be sent this was not the case. I returned goods not ordered and still awaiting payment. When I phoned re this matter the response was dismissive and agressive and told me that I was not listening to them!!!
    I also ordered a Panasonic battery to go with my camera and was sent an inferior battery but charged for the Panasonic.
    I am so disappointed and upsetwith the service and dont know what to do next.
    Can anyone help me sort out this mess of their making?? PLEASE
    J Roberts London

• Nb
      19th of Aug, 2009

I recently ordered a camera from these people - It actually arrived the next day and everything seemed ok - until I got a call from my credit card company saying that someone has been using my details for o2 mobile phone top ups. I hardly ever use the credit card so its pretty easy to figure out who has stolen my details - the only new company to have them! A quick internet search revealed that a few other people had the same problem but the forum thread on moneysavingexpert.co.uk has now been taken off.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

• Nb
      19th of Aug, 2009

I suppose its likely that someone may be hacking their site but its also possible that they may have a rogue employee - i'll look forward to any news from thre credit card company...

• La
      21st of Oct, 2009

I'm feeling pretty gutted now that i have read all these complaints. I am going through the same thing, only they were really rude to me as well. I had a bad feeling from the start when i tride to msn them and they took half an hour to reply to my live message! I spoke to them over the phone because they said there was a problem with my order.
    When i phoned them, this cockney geezer is telling me that my address is wrong because i said that the county i live in is south east but i live in north london? haha! Not much you can say to that is there. We are dealing with uneducated rude tossers who bassically don't give a toss.
    Still don't have my camera, but after reading most of your post i am asking for a refund today.

There is one women there who is always polite and very professional, i have spoken to her twice now and am very happy with her, lets just hope the money is on my card in a few days time like she said it would be. Further more to the guy who said that they are better than Amazon, are you delusional?
    I have never had a problem with Amazon in the 5 years that i have been using them, they are brilliant! I use camerbox for the first time and have problems from the very start. You cannot compare camerabox to Amazon they are in a league of their own.

• Do
      26th of Oct, 2009

I have had a bad time in dealing with camera box.
    I bought a lens, lens cover and a case. The lens came wutin a week, but no lens cover or case!!
    I can never get hold of them when I phone up just answer machine, and emails don't seem much better either.
    This has been going on fir about four months but am determined to get what u gave paid for.
    I just wish I read this site first and paid that little extra at amazon.
    Please, please people don't buy from this company.

9th of Dec, 2009

I`ve just come through the same mess up with this company and I have complained to AMAZON because their link was on the AMAZON website. I have asked AMAZON to remove their link because of the hundreds of complaints but AMAZON haven`t even bothered to reply. I have now reported both camerabox and AMAZON to the trading standards office and to WHICH.

• Ba
      14th of Dec, 2009

I too, bought a camera from Camera Box, was at a good price, and their web site promised a 2 year warranty, other pages on their site, tell you 'honesty is the best poilcy!' after scanning the site and comapring prices, I decided to buy from them. My camera did arrive next working day, but, it looked like a 'B' grade box, it had certainly been opened (several times?) it just didn't feel brand new, however, the camera appreared good. After a few tests, I discovered dead pixels in the actual sensor, I was cross, I emailed and sure enough got a returns number. I sent it back special delivery, I was promised a replacement for weekend, a Saturday delivery, it didn't arrive, but the address label had Saturday on, but, also a 'before 12' refering to 'standard' delivery. It might be a mix up, I don't know, surly with all the supposed 100's of camera a day sent out, a mistake like this? I don't know. Anyway, the replacement arrived on Monday after, another series of tests revealed several more dead pixels in different parts of the sensor this time, again in the sensor not on the LCD screen, yet again, the box looked 'B' grade and had certainly been opened a few times! Then, after this, I seached the web and found a whole series of complaints about Camera Box, and many people not getting their money back, so, I contacted Canon HQ and sent the camera there for repair. A brand new camera should not need repair, but, I wasn't going risk loosing camera, and/or money, hence my desicion to send to Canon. I'm still wating for the camera, it's over 2 weeks since I orderd and paid for it. Not a good experience this time. Probably next time, I'll pay more and use Amazon, they have been excelllent with me (so far)

• Jd
      29th of Dec, 2009

Hi. I am kicking myself that I didn't read this before purchasing my underwater housing. They took my money and I waited for a month. Nothing happened. When I rang up to enquire about when my product would arrive, they said that it was unlikely for them to get it back in stock. I wasnt offered a refund. So I went to check my bank statement which confirmed the money had been taken. So I rang back the next day, insisted on a refund which they promised they would process on the same day. Nearly 4 weeks later- still no money refunded.
    They are crooks! stay way from these cowboys!!!

• Ro
      30th of Dec, 2009

Hi there!
    Do I need to say, the same thing has happened to me. Wish I had seen this forum before i placed the order. I must admit, they do have a very professional website.
    I ordered a camcorder, the credid card was instantly drawn, and a few days later they asked me to contact them since it was suddenly out of stock. 1 month later they cancelled my order. Luckily my credit card was refunded. I however lost over £30 on foreign exchange fees.

Their customer services is non existing.
    I tried calling them at least 50 times as soon as they asked me to get in touch with them. Not once did I manage to get through.
    I have sent them at least 4 emails asking what they needed from me to proceed with the order. Not once did they get back to me.
    I am going to ask my credit card company to charge them for the excess fees. Also since I have MasterCard SecureCode activated on my card, it should have appeared when I placed the order, but didn't.

21st of Jan, 2010

Many people with camerabox problems and complaints, see also:

27th of Jan, 2010

It would seem that that I am another sucker to add to the growing list of complaining Camerabox customers. They have my money but I do not have my camera. Why did I not read this forum before ordering from them? Are the suppliers to this company aware of their poor reputation. I will be contacting Fuji UK and with my credit card company in an attempt to get my money back. We live and learn or do I? Stuart

2nd of Feb, 2010

I wrote a review some weeks ago a very bad one. Before Christmas. As with all these other people the goods arrived late and after i cancelled the order. You can not get hold of these people. Do not use them they are the worst company i have delt with bar none. Have only just got them to collect the camara which they now say they have so waiting for refund now. Who knows may get one. Wish i had read the reviews. I also think they operate under the name digitalfirst.co.uk so be aware. I would give less than 1 star if i could. The website is ok draws you in with there next day (not) delivery. DO NOT GO THERE!!! And onlinefaithful (see below) If you are that stupid to believe they sold 100000 cameras last year because they say it on there website the you obviously work for the company or are just dumb . I write reviews if company's perform badly or well like many others .