Camera Giants / Unauthorized charges

Phone: 888-900-7468

I found what I thought was a great deal on a Nikon D90 DSLR at Cameragiants.com on 3/10/2009. The website had many packages for the camera, and I chose one that had: the camera body, 2 lenses (one with vibration reduction), a tripod, a monopod, camera case, 1gb SD card and case, screen cover, usb card reader, and cleaning kit. This package was $624.99.

With $29.99 2-3 day shipping, and $49.00 tax for a total of $703.00.

Several hours later, I was contacted by 'Randy' by phone. He said I had to call and verify my order. I thought this was a security level, and I immediately called back. Once I had 'Randy' on the phone, he proceeded to try to upgrade me with 'real metal based, glass lenses' for $189.00. I knew there was a catch, so I agreed to the upgrade. He then tried to upgrade the battery, A/C wall charger, and SD card for another $280.00. He said I could get the complete package for $1400.00. I refused. We went around and around for another 5 minutes and finally, he tells me 'you won't steal this camera today, sir. Good day.'

Seconds later, I got an email saying my order was canceled. It was like the website prices didn't even exist, and the amount I agreed to pay was just a suggestion. These guys are complete rip-offs, and if you're not savvy about what you want and the prices, you will be victimized.

The prices 'Randy' quoted were on par with retail prices, but not the website prices, and the whole thing was incredibly deceptive. I highly suggest avoiding Camera Giants.

De

Comments

• Co
      19th of Mar, 2009
    Camera Giants - Bate and switch

What an experience! I have never been so insulted and treated so poorly EVER! I called to check on my order and was told that I was a "liar" and "stupid". DO NOT PLACE ANY ORDERS WITH THIS COMPANY!!! They will send you an email stating you need to contact Clark. Clark will never be available and you will end up speaking with an A***hole! If you've placed any order...CANCEL it NOW!!!

• Sh
      22nd of Mar, 2009

I don't know what kind of people you hire on the weekends but I was asking about my order and some punk (James) was EXTREMELY rude wouldn't let me talk to a Supervisor or let me finish asking a question regarding our order before he told me to call back tomorrow for Customer Service. He told me he didn't know how to put in nicely to get it through my head that Customer Service was closed. When naturally I took afence to his comment he told me to have a nice day and hung up. When my husband called back to ask what time the Customer Service hours are for tomorrow he didn't let my husband finish before he hung up. Please pull the phone calls for James and order number 106781-N. If this is the way you do business the next letter of complaint will be to the BBB. We have refused shipment of our order and it is being sent back unopened with UPS tracking number 1ZRE45314270553445 it left Phoenix at 11:00 PM on 3-20-09. Also my husband sent a email last Monday telling you that we were going to send the order back and NOBODY has replied to his email. All we want is a refund.

• Go
      24th of Mar, 2009
    Camera Giants - Overcharged
    cameragiantsinc.com

I ordered a GPS system form cameragiants on feb 25th. i receiver a confirmation email saying that the order have been received but i need to call in to confirm. When i called in the sales associate feb 27th he tried to sell me overprices accessories (1) an in home AC charger with shielded cable for $99.00, i tuned it down (2) then he tried to sell it to me for $79.00 again i refused (3) He then tried to sell me a SD card for $100.00, I informed i do not want to purchase any accessories i just want the gps unit.

He informed me that the unit will be shipped out and i will receive it in 2 to 4 weeks. I live in New York city and drive 30 minutes to brooklyn everday so i don't understand why it takes that ling for a package to get mailed to me. I received email on march 2nd stating tha the item is not in stock and will not be available for 4 to 6 weeks. their website still have the item listed as available. I even went the extra step and have someone call their company and attempted to purchase the exact same item over the phone with the accessories they offer and they were told that the item is available and will be shipped out that day.

I am going to wait the 6 weeks cause i don't need the item until this summer and see what happens next.

• Ca
      2nd of Apr, 2009

Thanks! I submitted my complaint too.

• Su
      8th of Apr, 2009

I just got ripped off by Camera Giants and am preparing to return the items. Has anyone here ever returned items to them? Considering how horribly I was treated by both representatives I talked to, and after seeing all the totally negative reviews all over the web, I am concerned that if I do return these items to them I'll never see a refund. They are the most horrible people (people is too kind a description) I have ever dealt with.

I got all the usual things everyone else describes: the email requesting a phone call to verify order, high pressure salesman, rude, overpriced items (charging $219.00 for a memory card available elsewhere for $25.00). It was absolutely horrible.

Any information about the success (or lack thereof) regarding returns will be greatly appreciated.

• Bl
      21st of May, 2009
    Camera Giants - Do not deliver what they advertise
    Camera Giatns
    cameragiantsinc.com

Ordered a low price GPS. They called to confirm then put a hard up-sell on me. I interrupted to ask the price, William became very upset telling me that even his mother didn't talk to him like that - not sure what that meant. Then he took the lord's name in vain while talking to me - I told him to please not swear at me.

He threatened to cancel my order and charge me a 30% cancellation fee. Actually threatened - then finally told me that my order would be in in 4-5 weeks.

Terrible service, not delivering what they promised. Stay far away. I have no faith that I will even get my unit. Stay away.

• Cr
      10th of Jun, 2009
    Camera Giants

Beware - they may advertise a low price - but hten they jack it up inshipping charges. They told me they would comp the shipping, but it ended up being a $50.00 charge.

Just plain lies and a rip off.

• Sh
      17th of Jun, 2009

I bought a Nikon D-80 I changed things that were in the package and he James went so fast that I don't know what the prices were they were not broken down all in one lump sum. I imagine that I over paid but I was happy to get the D-80, that is the camera I wanted. I called back last week or the week before time goes so fast and told Peter supposely customer service that I was missing the power cored to the Nikon battery charger he said that he would take care of it.This morning I'm getting the camera ready for a trip and I tried to put the extra filer lenses on that they sold me, they don't fit wrong seize I went looking for camera Gaint and guess what my fears have happened they are gone. I did get the 5 year gauarntee and I registered it last week so I hope and think that I made out better than some others. Next time I won't be in such of a hurry and check up the ratings. Love the camerea and everything was there except the lense are wrong found my power cable. I sure hope who ever got screwed by them get some kind of satisfaction. 6-17-09.

• Wi
      9th of Nov, 2009
    Camera Giants

Searched for a GPS unit. Found the best price at Camera Giants. The site said they had unit in stock. I ordered and selected 3-4 day del. Got a call the next day from high pressure sales guy trying to up sale me with add on items I did not want. I told him at least 5 times I wanted NOTHING BUT WHAT I ORDERED. When he realized he was not going to sell me the high priced options he told me they were out of stock and my unit would arrive in 3-4 weeks. I think this company uses bate and switch to lure you in, do not trust them.