Camel MentholChange

D Review updated:

I have been smoking Camel Menthol forever now and they now have the menthol ball in the filter when they are ALREADY menthol, this has changed the taste completely and I'm highly HIGHLY irritated about it!!! It doesnt taste right, its a complete change, and no one was told, and it just appeared, it should be an option not a MUST.

Aug 23, 2009

I feel the same way no one was ever told its complete crap...it has totally changed the taste ---- guess its time to change brands!

Aug 24, 2009

###in ###, i want my old camel menthol. if this is permenant ill stop buyin camel all together. the stupid crush ball, even without crushin it tastes like crap.the damn cigs kill you anyways, my choice what taste i die to.good luck actually gettin a hold of the company directly, cause you cant. i hope some big dick exec. reads this an changes it back... R.J. YOU ###ED UP ROYALY

Aug 25, 2009

i am so outraged by this ###, i dont know if the wides will also have this in them but right now all shops have replaced camel menthols with the ### MENTHOL CAPSULES. now i gotta smoke menthol wides just to have a close taste to the original camel menthols. they taste like a camel menthol light now and then when you crush it it tastes like a camel crush x2 which is horrible why did they have to ruin my favorite and only preferred cigarette blend!? this almost makes me want to quit smoking altogether. i wonder if that was intended cause it kind of seems that way, how could they think the "menthol capsules" would be a good decision. i've gotten sick from smoking camel crush's for weeks straight. The capsules inside are even worse for your health it seems.

now im going to have to settle for camel frost or something cause im definitely done with camel menthols, i hope the camel menthol wides still remain "capsule-less" so i can at least have something close to the delectable taste of the origional camel menthol's, ill be keeping my fingers crossed.

RIP CAMEL MENTHOL, FOREVER LOVED, ALWAYS CHERISHED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!

Sep 02, 2009

OMG I am SO pissed too! I tried complaining to the company directly but not luck. The don't even taste like menthol if you don't crush it and if you do you feel like you just sucked on 5 cough drops. GIVE ME BACK MY CAMEL MENTHOLS!!! RJ ###S

• W
      Sep 03, 2009

I just discoverd this today when I purchased a carton. and guess what? no returns on a $40.00 carton!
    I complained to the company, they took a note of it.[protected]) But they told me the change is probebly here to stay as it was a "big business deal" the guy said. I just don't like even the idea knowing that there is some gimmiky thing within a filter. it makes me think that the tabacco companies are up to an evil scheme to make ciggs even more addictive than they allready are or something lol. I noticed a slight differance in the taste, but when you crush it WOW!!! WAYYYYY TOOOOO MINTY for my taste.I tried Camel crush when it came out, I didnt like it. but the idea was nice. I'm sure some people might like being able to go to regular/crush the ball and get menthol, but why would you add menthol to menthol!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!? If I wanted Camel crush, I would buy Camel Crush, but those crushable ball thingies should not be in "REGULAR"-MENTHOL"!!! I am not happy with this what so ever. I guess I finally need to get my butt an electronic cigg and finally try to quite smoking =( R.I.P Camel Menthol.

• G
      Nov 11, 2018

@WineNcomplain I'm curious LOL where did you get a carton for 40.00. Here in California they are 9 to 10 dollars a pack.

• H
      Sep 06, 2009

I don't smoke Camel Menthol, but I do smoke Camel Lights, when they changed the packaging from the oh so familiar tannish, brownish, to the blue and white, the taste changed to. Some stores were still selling the old packs to get rid of them and I would buy all I could, mentioning that the new ones taseted different, and of course they would look at me like I was crazy. The old Camel lights never gave me a headache, but with the new ones, I have a headache at least 2x a week. What's up!

Sep 06, 2009

I have to agree with the complaints about the crush. I've enjoyed Full Flavor Menthols for many many years and had no intention of quiting. I've tried quite a few others over the years but nothing else had a taste even close. The Wides are hard to find in my area and at 60.00 a carton smokes are a dying luxury. I think there was a very large gap in the idea of what we smokers want and will pay good money for and what the execs think the public will buy. Too bad for the company!

Sep 07, 2009

I'm so pissed as well. Not only the taste changed, but then you realize when you don't get enough menthol, you forgot to crush the stupid ball, then booooom.. way too much instead. And on top of that, if you're not constantly puffin' on 'em, THEY GO OUT!!! and when u're almost done, the hot amber falls off!!! WT[censored]

Sep 07, 2009

And, obviously, not to mention the fact that you have to crush the damm filter on every cig that you smoke! Hate them!!!

Sep 08, 2009

Camel Menthol Wides will not have the capsule. Just letting you guys know.

Oct 23, 2009

I have smoked Camel Menthols for years. I even converted many Marlboro Menthol smokers. I tried a Crush when they first came out and I felt like I had eaten a tub of Vick's Vapor Rub. Disgusting!!! Then they change my FAVORITE cigarette to a stupid capsule. OUTRAGEOUS!!! The worst part about it is once you've clicked the capsule and smoked the ULTRA HIGH POWERED MENTHOL it makes regular menthols then taste like regular cigarettes. I am so mad! Nothing comes close and they are certainly [censored]es.

• I
      Oct 24, 2009

i had to switch to kool menthals and it's just not the same! i hate camels now...

• Y
      Oct 24, 2009

It seems like many cigarettes have changed flavor. I used to smoke Marlboro Lights, but can not bare them now that they had to change to fire-safe cigarettes. The POS things don't go out in the ashtray, only when you are smoking one if you don't puff every second!

Where I live, in Phoenix, we still have the regular Camel menthols. Its only the Camel Crush brand here that have the bead and I find they are way too strong if you break the bead at the start, not to mention it is kind of hard to crush. I just wish Newports would come down a little in price since they were my favorite before it hit $8 a pack.

• Y
      Oct 24, 2009

I forgot to add to my last post = We will probably be getting these new menthols soon. Seems like we are the last to get everything, since my uncle living on the east coast was getting the fire safe cigarettes years ago. He bought a couple cartons here to take back with them because he hated them too.

Oct 27, 2009

i am so glad other people are pissed too!! my boyfriend and i switched to camel menthols to get away from newports. i loooved my newports but i grew so used to the taste of the camel menthol regulars that i quit cravin a newport and let it go. now they came out with this CRAP! i tried to complain on the website and couldnt find a link.( gotta love that) so now ive seen someone posted to corp # so ill def be calling soon. btw, the damn cherry just fell off on my laptop a few min ago so i got pissed enough to look up complaints on it. it's even more wonderful (other than the horrible listerine taste) that they go out every 20 seconds. i HATE these cigarettes. So pissed.

RJ you're ###ED! thank you for SELLING OUT! btw THIS is a picture of what were 'popping' to create that ice in your lungs, altoid taste!!!

• L
      Oct 31, 2009

I agree...the old ones were better and I heard the capsule can actually cause your lungs to collapse! has anyone else heard about this???????

Nov 03, 2009

I saw on the back of my friends pack of Camel Menthols it said "NEW CAPSULE MENTHOL COMING SOON." I was like what the ###? They already have a crush filter menthol cigarette, we don't need another one!

• F
      Nov 09, 2009

I too am absolutely pissed about this "new" capsule. I used to love my camel menthols, now I hate them. Not only do they taste different but they go out if your not constantly sucking on them. I drive around to many stores just looking for that last lonely pack without the capsules. I think I have bought all of them in Daytona Beach. I will be looking for a new brand. Thank You R J Reynolds for nothing

• D
      Dec 25, 2009

FIRST: EVEN TOBACCO companies don't add new features or blends to their products until survays show that 89%-95% of current patriots approve it!

If you don't like the menthol capsule, you have three(3) options to avoid the extra menthol taste:

Option one(1) (and the most obvious) is to use commen sense: Don't "click" or "crush" the capsule.

Option 2: Smoke Camel WIDE Menthol because there is no added capsule in the filter. Mind you, the wides don't tast quite the same, but you're still getting 5% more tobacco even though the cigarettes are slightly shorter.

Option 3: Change to Salem, which are manufactured by the same company and very similar in taste.

The problem I had with Camels was the new and "IMPROVED" blend, which was, unfortunately NOT an improvement in taste, but a slightly lower grade tobacco designed to lower the rising cost of the Camel brand when all tobacco product prices were on the rise.

I now smoke Pall Mall Menthol, due to the extremely lower price. The taste is far from that of Camel, but (to me) well worth the transition in today's econimy. As with anything, what could be an aquired taste is just that - aquired after some time.

But, when I do get coupons ($2.00 off per pack all Camel styles) -excluding non-filter and Kamel Reds, it makes the price of Camels much cheaper than the cheapest (that are tolerable anyway).

And, IN MY OPINION, the menthol capsule is a vast improvement in taste!

These menthol capsules are NOT harmul (no more harmful that a "cough drop").

They can even clear sinus congestion very effectively!

If you don't like them, don't activate the menthol capsule, or find a new brand!

I hated it when they changed the Camel Menthol blend that i LOVED FOR YEAR, but I love the menthol capsules... A menthol cigarette with a built in cough drop - WOOHOO!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stop whining, stop clicking the capsule that you hate, or find a new brand.
    Obviously, more people like the change than don't, otherwise they would have remanufactured them by now.

And, hey: If they added the capsule to Camel Menthol WIDES, I'd go back to those in a heartbeat.

These complaints are a lot like complaints years ago about anti-lock breaks.
    IF YOU DON'T LIKE A FEATURE, TURN IT OFF!

--HOW IS AN ADDED "cough suppressant" going to hurt a smoker anyway?!?! LOL

I can't believe what I just read! You can taste the added menthol without crushing the capsule?!?! =absurd and IMPOSSIBLE!!!
    BEFORE making the change, 5, 000 people were interviewed about the new taste...
    95% agreed that the change was great. I doubt they're going to remove an added feature that has actually raised sales by 46% so far. BUT, it IS possible that in the near future, our precious Camel Menthol could offer both versions!

Look forward to new blends, both in cigarettes and Camel Snuss from R.J.R.

Thank you, and god bless!
    AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

RJ PR- D.S. Burns

• G
      Jan 07, 2010

...Im just curious/lost as to why you guys just don't crush the filter, it tastes like the old one. Its not complicated, just don't crush it?? Although personally the extra menthol tastes amazing.

And if you guys live near smaller towns, the older gas stations will have the old camel menthols. That is just what I have noticed.

Feb 12, 2010

The reasoning behind the Cool Burst technology implemented in the new Camel Menthol and Camel Menthol Silver (replacing the old descriptor of Menthol Lights) is to allow for increased interaction with the cigarette (and tbus improved brand relationship), as well as control and customization by the adult tobacco consumer.

The idea behind the new Camel Menthol is "On Demand. Fresher. Cooler." The key concept being on demand. You don't have to crush the menthol pellet (100% natural extract of Menta Arvensis harvested in China) if you do not desire the freshness (menthol) boost. If you choose to crush it, you can do so beginning, middle or end. You effectively have four choices of menthol intensity in each Camel Menthol (no boost, boost at the beginning, boost midway, boost on finish). Furthermore, for those desiring the classical Camel Menthol experience, Camel Wides Menthol and Wides Menthol Green (formerly Wides Menthol Lights) still provide a plain Camel turkish and domestic blend of tobaccos enhanced with a casing of 100% natural menthol extract.

Camel is, and will always be, all about empowering individual freedom, letting you choose to enjoy tobacco when you want to and how you want to. Moreover, the ultimate goal for RJR is to get more adult smokers to switch from the acquired taste of synthetic menthol flavors of Lorillard's Newport and Philip Morris' Marlboro. This is increasingly important given the US market has fewer adults smoking every year, and from those who smoke, the ratio of those choosing Menthol over Non-Menthol cigarettes is increasing.

Other RJR Menthol options for Camel Menthol franchise (pre-capsule) adult smokers include: Pall Mall Menthol (a premium cigarette at a generic price, which also sports to a lesser degree the turkish tobacco goodness of Camel and is packed tighter for a mellower, longer-lasting smoke), Kool (which is actually the base blend used for Camel Menthol), Salem (the first menthol cigarette brand, available in various flavor intensities used to be known as full flavor to ultra lights), as well as the Capri Indigo (was menthol lights) and Misty (Menthol Green, formerly menthol lights and Menthol Silver, formerly menthol ultra lights).

In regards to FSC (Fire Standards Compliant) cigarettes. This is simply the way cigarettes for sale in the US have to be given that the majority of the states have made this a requirement and maintaining manufacturing lines with two different papers (non-FSC and FSC) is impractical in the long run. There where many attempts to prevent the government imposed additives on the cigarette papers, but nevertheless nanny-state "safety" advocates got their way, the same way they did with seat-belt laws, removing alcohol content from beer labels, and banning lawn darts. But, I digress.

I hope my post has helped shed some light on this matter.

Source: myself, RJRT trade marketing employee

Mar 10, 2010

I have been smoking camels for 2 years now and switched from Marlboro because i loved the full flavor of the camels.When they first got the capsules in the regular menthol i was pissed but they were still at least bearable. Now they went and changed the pack to some deep green and apparently changed the formula as well. They taste like utter and total CRAP!!! They taste like lights and mint. ITS NOT EVEN MENTHOL ANYMORE!! Im switching back to Marlboro. R.J you're ###s...

Mar 24, 2010

I love the new camel menthols..I have been a Newport smoker for 20 years and I switched to camel menthols cause of the capsule... quit your wining..if you don't like it, switch to another brand!!!

May 23, 2010

My friend told me I would have a harsh cough after smoking the "new" camel menthol with the ball and I loved em for a few weeks then I got a harsh cough that bugs me daily. i'm smoking camel no 9's now because its very light until this cough goes away :(

• T
      Jul 23, 2010

I love the new Camel Menthols & Camel Menthol Silvers. For one.. at least in my opinion they both taste the same whether you are smoking the regulars or lights. I liked Crush when it came out.. but to me it wasn't enough menthol and I didn't like the harsh taste.. so when these came out I was extremely happy to have a menthol that wasn't extremely harsh on my throat like Newports or Marlboro Menthols are.. especially lights! And the silvers don't have the harsh chemically taste that some light cigarettes can have. All you have to do is not crush the bead.. and it tastes the same as the old one. I think it's a great idea.. its like condensing 2 cigarettes into one.

And as far as the complaint I saw about how you have to keep smoking them quick so it doesn't go out.. you should look into whether or not your state requires that they be self-extinguishing. Because in New York that happens to every cigarette because it is required by law.. and often times the additives they use on the papers to make them self extinguish can drastically change the taste of the cigarette. I know that when I've gotten cigarettes in VA, GA, and NC in the past they tasted a lot better because they didn't have the additives. But then again maybe they started all their cigarettes with self-extinguishing papers? I wouldn't know.

And as far as I head they AREN'T getting rid of the original Camel Menthols and Camel Menthol Lights. So as far as the availability.. that's up to what the stores and distributors decide to order for their store I would think. But everything comes to an end unfortunately... my favorite cigarettes of all.. the Camel Turkish Jade's were discontinued.. and theres nothing like those either. I would suggest ordering the originals online if you can't find them in your area.. because I don't think they were disco'd.

Sep 26, 2010

don't crush it, it's nasty and tastes like mouth wash. hahaha.

Sep 26, 2010

i'm serious. 0_0

• D
      Oct 09, 2010

I smoke these, i like the taste. and ya were kinda told ya just need to learn to read. and to the person who started all this there is an option [censored]. crush the filter or dont crush. if you like these without the crush ok but if you dont with the crush then dont crush it. quite simple and if you dont like em all together try something else.

• Z
      Oct 17, 2010

If you don't want it to be more menthol then don't burst it genius.

• T
      Nov 04, 2010

The new camel menthols, in my opinion, suck. Whether you crush them or not. And it is true that if you do not keep puffing on them they will go out. My favorite menthol cig was Camel's Turkish Jades. But they did away with them and now I am pretty much with them.

Nov 17, 2010

Eh, I like the new camel menthols. On occasion, sometimes I even pop the pellet long in advance of lighting the cigarette to let the menthol absorb deeper into the filter. Try this at home!

Granted, if you DON'T pop the capsule, the menthol is much weaker than the old ones, and if you DO pop it, the menthol is instead STRONGER than the old ones. That said, I prefer more menthol. Mostly because the most highly circulated propeganda AGAINST menthol are entirely fictitious (fiberglass, crystalized lungs, racist motives, et al.) And frankly, menthol is considered a natural local anesthetic (check the label on your chloroseptic spray some time). So, more menthol = less irritation. Win/win if you're a menthol fan to begin with.

On the other hand, they SHOULD bring back Turkish Jades. Used to be my favorite, and it'd be a fine alternative for folks who DON'T like the new crush pellets.

Oh, right, and don't smoke. Ever. It's... really kind of a dumb habit. Just ask a smoker.

Dec 19, 2010

I've been told that the "Capsules" aren't actually all Menthol if any at all...The bottom line is we aren't stupid and I have my assumptions about these stupid "Capsules" {some other cheaper drug or pesticide they put in there to drive costs down and rise profits up}...I've also heard of a handful of deaths from the Camel Crush cigarettes as well...Now in reality i'm not complaining at all and just stating what I believe is going on...I smoked Camel Menthol Lights in the Pre-Capsule era and I'm smoking Camel Menthol Silver's now {suppossedly now the Camel Menthol Lights, although I suspect other BS behind it} and I've really not noticed any difference...Make no mistake though and that is that this is no conspiracy...If RJ did this it was simply to bring in more $$$...

• Q
      Jan 01, 2011

i love them i am gay i like light blue

• Q
      Jan 01, 2011

eijg;ptbmq';rm fl i like them because they taste like penin

Mar 30, 2011

I hate this gimick, too! I'm sure the intent is for the younger generation to buy & get hooked, but I miss my old flavor & HATE crushing a stupid ball every time I light up! Arthritis runs in my family, so what happens then? I want my ORIGINAL Camel Menthols back. I guess I'll have to smoke Newports now. =(

Mar 30, 2011

I'm sure it is to appeal to the younger generation to buy & get hooked, but I'm a veteran Camel Menthol smoker! I don't enjoy crushing a stupid ball every time I light up, and I'm not 18 buying my first pack looking for some gimmick! Give me my ORIGINAL Camel Menthols back, or I'll certainly have to switch to Newports! Arthritis runs in my family. What happens when that develops, and I can't crush your rediculous ball? Just bring 'em back already!

• R