Cambece Law Firm / Terrible company

1 8 Bourbon StPeabody, MA, United States Review updated:

In October of 2008, while I was at work, I received a phone call from the 978 area code. Because I have many college friends, and family in that area, I answered the phone, thinking it was one of them. When I answered the phone, I was greeted by Mike Sanger, a 'manager' from the Cambece Law Firm, inquiring about a credit card I had with Washington Mutual. The conversation started off friendly, but quickly changed when I realized that he was demanding payment of a debt that I had with Washington Mutual. I told Mr. Sanger what I could afford to pay at that time, and he told me 'that's not good enough.' He then proceeded to ask me if I would look into my 401k. I told him I would look into it, but could not promise anything, as I am 29 years old...why would I even think about tapping my 401k??? He said, 'well, you need to do something...'. In the mail that day, I got a letter from Cambece explaining what was owed, but I noticed something odd. About a year earlier, in October 2007, I enrolled my WaMu credit card account into a debt management program. The name of the company who turned the account over to Cambece was NOT the company I enrolled the account into. I called my Debt Management company and had them contact Cambece. Later that day, Mr. Sanger called me back (at my house...that's another issue..I told them not to contact me at my house) and said 'we don't deal with that company'...he then proceeded to see if my parents would loan me the money...I told him there is no way I would ask my parents for money unless I was in real trouble...he told me, 'well, you ARE in real trouble...you better get this money to us...' I mentioned again what I could afford to pay at that time, and Mr. Sanger said 'get a money order or check in the mail, and send it overnight delivery.' I said something like 'we'll see..' and hung up the phone. I was simply to stressed to continue the conversation. The next day, again, while I was at home...Mr. Sanger called and said...'I was expecting a phone call and something in the mail..why didn't I get either ?..' He then said, well you better ask your parents for the money. I knew then that I had to tell my parents, because I was afraid that THEY would start getting calls...needless to say, I was never more embarrassed or stressed in my life.

That was the last time I spoke with Mr. Sanger or anyone from Cambece Law Office. But that didn't stop them from calling...it is now late February..4 or so months later, and they STILL call. Thank God for caller ID, because each time I see who is calling, I ignore it. It is always Mr. sanger who calls and leaves a message, which leads me to believe that this is a personal matter with him.

to make a long story short...don't even bother dealing with Cambece Law Office. They are nothing but a bunch of heartless people who don't give a s*t about anything but money.

Lu

More Cambece Law Firm Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Ca
      26th of Apr, 2009

i agree, used to work there all ###. all they do is make fun of all of people who owe money

• Ca
      26th of May, 2009

Want to agree with that. I made a complaint with the FTC. People need to do that. Are they a REAL law firm or just a debt collection agency?

• Vi
      23rd of Nov, 2009

I am also going through problems with Cambece law firm. I had a credit card debt through Washington Mutual and they are now owned by Chase. I finally spoke with them on my cell phone (they also called my parents home phone number) and they were RUDE to me. Mr. Jordan wouldn't tell me his first name. (I found out it was Corey) He said my debt had been sold to them. He told me I needed to borrow the money or ask someone to transfer the balance onto someone elses credit card so I could make payment in full right now. I explicitly told him I am in school, I am living on my own and struggling but I was more than happy to work out a payment plan with them. And he was threatening my future and my education and future work experiences with bad credit. He said no one would hire me with bad credit because a lawyer had to come after me to get the money out of me. He told me I was unwilling to pay and my refusal to pay would be a way they would get the money out of me however they could, even though I had stated at least 10 times I would be MORE than happy to set up a payment plan. The guy was rude, nasty and scummy. Any tips for what I should do?

• St
      26th of Jul, 2010

These people are total criminals and I can't even believe what they have pulled. Not only did they give me a "hardship agreement" for more than double my initial bill they then charged interest and didnt tell me. So I payed 400.00 and received over 300 in interest charges! None of which was disclosed to me. I had to close my account at the bank and they are now sending me stuff for insuficient funds AFTER I already called them and they said that they were not going to take any more money!

• Co
      26th of Oct, 2010

you people are dead beat debtors...if u simply were responsible and payed the debt you charegd and obeyed the contracts u signed then maybe debt collectors would have to point out what a loser you are for no paying your bills. Its pretty simple if u have 401k or family to turn to then you should be getting the funds and paying your delinquent debt. Not making stupid complaints and running and hiding from bills u are obligated to pay. Long story short stop being a dead beat and pay your bills and people wouldnt have to point out the obvious and treat u how u deserved to be treated!!!

1st of Nov, 2010

PEOPLE ARE NOT DEAD BEATS THINGS HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE AND WELL YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO JUDGE ANYONE FOR THEM GETTING THAT THEY CAN NOT PAY FOR SOMETHING... WE ARE HUMAN AND HUMANS SOMETIME RUN INTO PROBLEM... SO COLLECTOR$$$ WHEN IT HAPPENS TO YOU DO NOT MAKE A COMPLAINT CAUSE I WILL SAY THIS ONCE, AND ONCE ONLY GOOD FOR YOU, YOUR THE LOSER TO EVEN MAKE COMMENTS UNLESS YOU LIVE IN A GLASS HOUSE AND YOUR BOYFRIEND OR HUSBAND IS THE ONE SUPPORTING YOU...

YOU NO NOTHING OF THESE FOLKS AND SHOULD KEEP YOUR COMMENTS TO YOURSELF..

THINGS HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE, LIKE SOMEONE WHO MADE 80 THOUSAND A YEAR HAVING A GREAT LIFE A POOF WAKES UP GOES TO WORK AND GETS THE PINK SLIP, LOSES HIS HOUSE, FAMILY AND JOB AND ENDS UP WORKING AT DUNKIN DONUTS... DOES THAT MEAN HE IS A DEAD BEAT NO JUST MEANS LIFE GOT HIM IN THE [censor], WITH NO LUBE...

13th of Apr, 2011

I get phone calls from people all the time demanding money . I do not owe anyone any money. Today I got a call from Cambece . Asking for someone who dies over ten years ago. I was polite, but next time. Once I tell someone not to call anymore, the next time they call. I act like it is a phone sex company.I ask about their private parts, shaved or not, hard or soft, big or small. The calls stop immediately.

• Bi
      3rd of May, 2011

"collector$$$" - really is that what you think? Personally you are a ### dead beat. Get spell check ("what a loser you are for no paying your bills." - It should have been NOT, not NO...) If you weren't so damn stupid you would probably have a better job and not be a bill collector. Any idiot (without a diploma) can be a bill collector, not to mention if they could be on welfare longer than three years they wouldn't be bill collectors. Haha losers.

• Br
      10th of Jul, 2011

as Cambece is a member of the massachusetts bar, anyone who his firm abuses should file a complaint against him with the Board of Bar Overseers in Massachusetts. They oversee all attorneys and their license to practice law. The more complaints against him, the more likely something will be done. The url for the board is: http://www.mass.gov/obcbbo/board.htm

Their physical address for mail and phone is:

Board of Bar Overseers
    99 High Street
    Boston, Massachusetts 02110
    (617) 728-8700

• La
      15th of Sep, 2011

I am currently receiving calls from Cambece Law Firm demanding payment for an account I had with Washington Mutual. They called over 2 months ago at my mother's residence and when I returned the call and left a message inquiring what it was about no one ever contacted me back. Now, as of yesterday, they called my mother's number 4 times and she is physically handicapped and I repeated told them to call my cell # and to stop calling my mother. They are demanding payment of an old credit card I thought I paid off. They won't work out a payment plan with Chase and are threatening me to pay this by the end of Sept. I can do payments but he says the company that hired them won't agree. What do 'I' do here? Ignore the calls and then they will harass my mother.

• De
      8th of Dec, 2012

They called our house and left a very unprofessional message - very low quality, hard to understand, not even saying who they were looking for. We do not owe any money to anybody and I just closed out my father's estate so I have no idea why they called. Somebody has been calling here looking to collect debts for someone who never lived here, so I suspect that somebody who had the phone number at some time before we did - fifteen years ago - owes somebody something. If they call again I will continue to ignore them.

• Jb
      25th of Jun, 2014

I have had slightly different situations with this company over the past few years. Overall, I mostly agree with the consensus that Cambece Law Office is difficult to deal with. When I first received my letter saying that they were collecting debt, I wrote to them accepting that I did owe the debt of appx 900.00 and I would like to repay. I offered to pay a minimum of 40 per month. I also wrote in my letter to not contact me unless through writing or email. No phone calls. They did comply and I sent monthly payments as I said in letter.
    The past few months I have actually called the firm to get an updated accounting in writing, but the request has fell on deaf ears. I requested in writing last month along with my payment and still received no written update. Today I sent my last payment per my accounting and again reminded the firm I had requested an updated balance on several occasions. The reps are rude and short on the telephone which is unnecessary as most people do, indeed, want to settle their debts.
    I have worked with various collection agencies the past several years, and this firm, by far was the worst to get answers from. My advice is if you receive letter from any agency, respond in writing and copy all the letters, for your own records. I learned if you do not answer the calls, they go to another list at the agency, and they eventually stop. You answer once, and you keep getting the calls. Contact in writing and keep your own accounting accurate.. Agree to a smaller amount and then pay more when you're able and the process goes much smoother. If you agree to make payments, then honor that and they won't bother you at all. I am currently working with creditor that agreed to no interest as long as I continued with my payment each month. It was auto debited and was almost 3500 and now is appx 900. Some collectors will charge interest, as they can, but alot do not. Remember have everything in writing in case the account ends up in court.. If it's not written down, it didn't happen .. Documentation will be key but hopefully no one will need this and you can put into a bonfire once account is paid in full.
    ** If you are offered a deal to pay less than the full amount, beware that you may have to claim unpaid amount as income on your taxes. They don't tell you that most times.