Calypso Cruises / Unwilling to pay for damage

1 San Jose, Costa Rica Review updated:

I was taking a trip on Oct 30th and was picked up from Double Tree by Hilton Cariari to go to the Isla Tortuga. On the cruise ship, we were promised that the banana boat ride would be really calm so that people could take pictures. So I brought my phone and my camera with me. It was a total lie. It was a really aggressive ride. I was able to hold on to my electronic devices until the end where the front boat made such a quick turn that flipped the whole boat over. So my camera and phone are not working anymore. I discussed the concern with the company that the trip cost me almost $2000 because of the tour guide's wrong information but they didn't have a courtesy to reply back. I'm so upset with this company!

Lu
Nov 2, 2016

Comments

• Ca
      4th of Nov, 2016

Dear Luvis:

We understand that you are frustrate for your lost. The tour guide was very clear that everybody on the tour have to be care for the personal objects. Calypso Cruises and staff never have recommended to take snorkel tour and banana boat ride with accessories that can be lost. If the customer decides to use cameras and cell phones in the aquatic activities it is at your own risk. Usually people bring waterproof accesories to protect devices.

• Lu
      4th of Nov, 2016

I totally agree if the tour guide warned that. That's why I didn't take my stuffs with me for the snorkeling. However, I confirm one more time that the tour guide said the banana boat wouldn't be fast, so "people can take pictures". I never rode a banana boat before, how should I know if it's fast or not. So I just went with the words. Furthermore, I was the last one to get on that boat because I was struggling with the jacket since I had the camera with me. He saw that I got my camera with me too. So he still had 1 last chance to warn me but he didn't. This is where I got upset.