Calvary Portfolio Services / Improper fair debt collections practices

United States Review updated:
Calvary Portfolio Services
I worked for Navy Federal Credit Union for several years starting in 1998 where I had several loans which were being paid faithfully. I moved to Texas in 2001. In 2003 I became a single parent with no child support. I also have a Kidney Transplant and in January of 2004 my Insurance co-pays went up by 300%, along with the price of medications. I went from living in a house to an apt. I then provided Navy Federal with proof of all this when I requested a deferment which they graciously granted. I also went on their Consumer Credit Counseling program to continue efforts to paying on my loans; I even consolidated debts with them. I did so trying to work with NFCU because I know the importance of keeping good credit. Unfortunately they only allow members on the program for 2 years, which I understand. The loans were charged off, and even then I kept on sending payments to NFCU for several months until I had exhausted all possible venues. The debts were then sent to Calvary Portfolio Services, LLC. I did everything in my power prior to that to make things work but unfortunately given the circumstances I was unable to pay. Since then I have acquired other loans out of necessity (Connâ??s for a bed, Road loans for a car, etc).

I received a call from a representative from this Collections Company who proceeded to belittle me on the phone. The call came to my cell phone at 12:23 CST from [protected]. They said the call was recorded (and I hope it was). This gentleman by the name of Jeremy Spitzer was beyond belligerent. I advised him of why the debt had gone bad and he told me that he has kids too and still manages to pay his bills which I found to be a VERY offensive remark given my attempts to work with NFCU. Furthermore told me I was irresponsible for not paying my bills, that I had no business getting other loans, why am I paying other people, and so forth. He did not wish to listen to what I had to say, instead said â??you are refusing to pay this debtâ??. I suggest you listen to that conversation. I asked Mr. Spitzer to check with NFCU to see that I indeed kept in contact and did the best I could to pay on this debt. He said he did not want top hear that, only wanted to talk about the here and now. I advised Mr. Spitzer I was going to call him from my work number, which I did at [protected]. I advised him that I would like to record it from my end but he would not listen. I asked him to repeat EVERYTHING he told me over the phone, but he refused to do so, instead talked over me and just kept saying â??you are refusing to pay this debtâ??, then he hung up on me. I called him back 3 times and he would not answer, it went to voicemail, and I left him a message. I cannot believe Calvary Portfolio Services, LLC would employ such awful tactics to collect a debt, furthermore, NO ONE deserves to be belittled in such a demeaning manner and I truly hope that call was recorded. My blood pressure is through the roof, I have never been treated with such disrespect. I understand what happened, and unfortunately I can only do so much as a single parent with a medical condition.

I cannot be placed under such stress since it is not good for my Kidney Transplant. I answered the phone, I was polite, and I did not hang up, unlike the tactics employed by this company. I do not wish to be contacted my mail or phone by these people ever again. The audacity to point the finger and tell me I was irresponsible was unbelievable. I cannot believe NFCU would hire such a place to assist them with collections of this debt. Please investigate this matter, and feel free to contact me by mail regarding this formal complaint. Thank you.

N  22nd of Oct, 2008 by

Calvary Portfolio Services - Unsolicited phone calls
Calvary Portfolio Services

Calvary Portfolio Services called me at my place of work and said I owed money to AT&T long distance. I was "slammed" years back and called and complained directly to AT&T and was told that the invoice would be removed. I was wondering if it was legal for them to be able to call your work? I probably could get fired from them calling, I thought it was illegal for them to call you at work. Any input anyone? I think they should get fired and also the work number they called was on the do not call list.
A  13th of Nov, 2008 by
Calvary Portfolio Services is a scam, do not communicate with them. I work for ATT and just had someone call about this today.
N  31st of Mar, 2009 by

Calvary Portfolio Services - suspicious phone call
calvary portfolio services

I was offered a settlement to pay for a previous debt. I paid it, then recieved a phone call that was suspicious. They told me I owed money, which I don't because I paid it and have proof of that. After trying to get personal information from me, I was hung up on. It just didn't feel right. Thank you. Diane Copeland
N  17th of Nov, 2009 by

Calvary Portfolio Services - Harassment
Calvary Portfolio Services

I just received a phone for my house. Since then, I've had three associates from that same company call me within a week. The first associate was nice and understanding. The second, was trying to tell me what to do and how to do it(referring to my life and choices). I didn't appreciate that. All he had to do was talk to me with sense and not like I was his child. That last one was hard of hearing. I understand I have a debt. They don't understand I have no money or a job now.
N  24th of Oct, 2010 by
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Please see the thread that I started a few minutes ago. I've copied it below.

I am surprised by all of these comments being made about NFCU. I have had my own problems with them but, I’m still surprised to see this many comments. I never guessed that there would be so many disgruntled people out there willing to write about their negative experiences.

NFCU has essentially terrorized me over the last two years (including while in bankruptcy). Frankly, nobody deserves to be treated like some of us have been treated. While I take full responsibility for not completely fulfilling my obligations, I've paid off multiple loans and paid thousands of dollars in interest to NFCU. Nothing justifies treating anyone the way that I have been treated. When my financial "crash" came I made it a point to call NFCU twice a week for more than a year prior to filing bankruptcy. I mostly called them so that they wouldn't keep calling my family members and harassing my neighbors.

One evening last year, at 9:30PM, NFCU sent a “door knocker” to my home. I’ve since learned that a “door knocker” is a collection industry term used for a contractor who places door tags onto the handle of your front door. These tags typically say that they want to speak to someone in the household. The “door knocker” pounded and kicked on my door so hard that, for a minute, I thought that it was a home invasion (I still have the dents on my door). I think that he kicked my door because the dents in my door are on the lower portion of my door. I was able to talk to the “door knocker” through the front door. He stated that he was working for NFCU and that I needed to call them. I told him that I had just talked to NFCU the previous day and that I was going to complain about his pounding on my door. He basically told me that nothing would happen to him and that he would not get in trouble because he was just “following orders” given to him by NFCU. I told him not to return to my home again and that I was going to call the police. He then ran to his car and drove away. While I was not able to get his license plates, I did call the Fairfax County police and gave a description of the "door knocker" and what had happened. They indicated that they would make a report and for me to call earlier next time so that they would have a chance to question that person at my home.

It was this incident that, not only scared the heck out of me but, caused me to realize what was actually going on. I had noticed that although I had been calling NFCU twice a week for 6 months or so prior to this incident, NFCU was still calling my neighbors and my family to harass me. They repeatedly called my in-laws, siblings and mother. I’m sure that they called others because most people would not probably want to add to my own embarrassment by telling me about their NFCU calls. At the time, I felt humiliated and too embarrassed to do anything about this harassment. I was (and still am) trying to focus my energy on getting a job. I did write the Chairman of NFCU to complain and explain my situation. My letter to the Chairman basically apologized for hurting the members of NFCU for not meeting my obligations and (most importantly) to ask NFCU to stop using illegal collection techniques to bully and harass me. I even wrote that I thought NFCU would collect more if they followed the law.

At this point, I have had it! I have gotten to the point where I actually feel ashamed for not standing up to them earlier. I've caused my family a tremendous amount of pain due to my economic situation as it was and is. It wasn’t right for my family to have to experience the unbelievable behavior associated with NFCU’s collection activities. All of my creditors had essentially cooperated with my financial situation except NFCU. NFCU is the reason that I filed bankruptcy in the first place! I didn’t have any money to pay anyone anyway! During bankruptcy, I had to submit to a deposition requested by NFCU (more NFCU harassment!). During the deposition the lawyer from NFCU kept asking me about my disabled daughter. That was unbelievable! I had essentially given up my ability to get a security clearance by filing bankruptcy and I was still being subjected to the wrath of NFCU.

At this point, My home is being foreclosed on (finally), I am broke, I have no job, I've got a disabled daughter who has substantial medical needs (she’s still wonderful and I wouldn’t trade her for all of the money in the world!), a wife and a son to take care of (they are also awesome!).These realities are NOT NFCU's fault but, I now have nothing to lose and perhaps I have learned a valuable lesson about how to appreciate what I do have (an awesome family and the sun coming up in the morningļŠ). I’ve also learned that one should never run away from “BULLIES AND THUGS! The pain and shame only get worse!

I've decided to remove myself from bankruptcy (I should never have filed in the first place!) and take NFCU to court to try to keep them from harassing others like they have harassed me. It's the least I can do for my own health and to give back to those who may suffer in the future. I'll spend half my day looking for a job and the other half dealing with NFCU in the courts. I will probably lose, but I will do a more honorable job of getting my point across and at the end of the day it’s the right thing to do.

My story is true and I'll put my hand on the bible to swear that it is (just like I will in a courtroom soon enough). I’ve got a bunch of faxes, letters (some certified) and all sorts of notes related to phone calls that will help substantiate the immoral behavior and treatment I received from NFCU. I ask that anyone who has a truthful story that they are willing to share about their experiences with NFCU to please contact me at nyquil762@gmail.com. You don’t have to talk to me if you don’t want to. You can just share your story in writing anonymously. I realize how embarrassing these issues are to communicate and I don’t think there is anything wrong with keeping them private. Some of you may feel better by just communicating your thoughts to me (kind of like writing a letter when you’re angry and then ripping it up when you are finished). I promise that I will not share your emails or our conversations unless you want me to.

And to anyone out there who works for this group of "GANSTERS” and or agrees with the behavior that NFCU has used to bully me and others", I'LL SEE YOU IN COURT! Thank you for your time and gob bless. Nyquil762 otherwise known as at Mark in Virginia. I’ll publish my full name after the lawsuit is filed.