Call in Europe / Misleading Sales Practices/Charges for Customer Service

United States, Connecticut, Greenwich Review updated:
Call in Europe
222 Railroad Ave.
Phone: 877 730 5305
I purchased a sim card from Call in Europe prior to a trip to Italy. I inserted the sim card and was given instructions to call a number to set-up the voice mail prompt. After being disconnected several times, and having to call back, I was finally able to get the voice mail activated. In total, I incurred "16 minutes" of airtime, according to the invoice I received from them, which the minutes are grossly inflated.

The complaint is that I am being charged over $70 for these initial minutes to set-up the voice mail!! I followed the instructions that were sent to me, but the computer prompts put me in a loop, and caused me to disconnect several times. In addition, I was being charged for text messages that the recipients never received, and calls to people that were never made!!! Can you say, SCAM!!!

This was the biggest waste of money ever, and I WARN ALL POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS - DO NOT USE "CALL IN EUROPE"!!! The customer service rep could care less after I spoke with him - 'there is nothing I can do'. Well, yes, there is something you can do - remove the $70 in unnecessary charges!!! tack on the other questionable text messages and minutes, and the invoice was over $100!!! This is a huge scam, and I unfortunately am one of the people who got raked over the coals here.

Lesson learned - spend the extra few dollars and purchase or rent a world phone that your service local provider will support here in the states. After all is said and done, I am out over $150 for something that would have cost me maybe $35-$40 from my local provider!!! So much for trying to save money!!

N  23rd of Dec, 2010 by
Calls to voicemail using CIE Italian SIM card are billed $0.39 per min. Quick math 0.39 *16 = 6.24 ...$70 so not true.
$70 refers to the initial purchase: phone + SIM card+ shipping ... You agreed on paying that when you bought the phone and took it with you to Italy if it was expensive why buying it at 1st place???????? prices and rates are publicly posted on call in Europe website. I wish when people complain about something they say the truth. The frustration is understandable but lying is not acceptable.
N  16th of Nov, 2012 by
In 2010 I purchased a Call in Europe phone and sim card. I had problems with the service while in Europe but was able to get the poblem corrected. So, in 2011, I purchased and paid for a new sim card to use in the phone and re-start the service. When I arrived in Europe I was able to use the phone for 3 days before it would not let me make a call. During those three days I only used the phone for less than 15 minutes. For the next 4 weeks, while in Europe, I was without the Call in Europe cell phone service. When I attempted to contact Call in Europe I just got an answering machine. I repeatedly left messages, however never got a call back.. Then, afrer arriving home I found a charged of over $70.00 on my credit card statement. There is no way that I used more than $10.00 on that phone. I have repeatedly tried to contact Call in Europe, without any reply. I even sent them the sim card and have never gotten a reply. This company is not reputable. I would recommend that nobody use this company. My name is Robert and I live in Las Vegas, NV.