Cal Home Plumbing / American Home Shield / Fraudulent business practices

1 8238 Lankershim Blvd, North Hollywood, CA 91605-1613North Hollywood, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 818-506-4441

We had a busted water heater and American Home Shield said that this contracter would be out that day. It took them three days to respond and when they came, the plumber did not even look at the problem and sent in a diagnosis that they would replace the boiler but wanted to charge $850 of assorted "non covered items". I had a respected plumber come to look at it and he said that every one of the things they were claiming were bogus claims. He added that the scam is that these contracters basically receive a capped amount per visit from the home isurance company $125, plus the check you give them for turning up. They are guaranteed 2000 calls a year, so they make it up on volume. Most calls are nothing but a small job, so they make good money. Somethimes, like in my case, they have to replace something. This comes out of their pockets so they concot bogus exclusions in order to recoup their expense. It is fraudulent, criminal activity that is being encouraged by the home warranty companies.

Comments

15th of Jun, 2009

absolutely agree, I need a garbage disposal fixed and cal home is pulling this same scam on me.

11th of Jul, 2009

Don't pay the extra's. Get your own second opinion...most companies will give you an estimate for free. Contact BBB.com and file our complaint. I did and received full payment on the repair that was denied due to bogus installation and code violations. I paid nothing but the deductible to AHS. They ended up sending me a check and I used one of the companies who came out and gave me the free truthful estimate.

• Pi
      9th of Feb, 2011

I had two service requests declined by Amercian Home Shield (AHS). The first one was for my microwave. AHS claimed that the microwave failed because I did not mantain it. The microwave was 6 years old! They claim that the grease build-up inside the micrwave caused it to fail and I am suposed to clean the microwave. They expect me to open up a microwave and service it?? how many people do that? Then next service request was for my refrigerator. The side panel for the water dispener and ic dipsener just stopped working. The technician said that the mother board needed to be replaced. AHS claims that, though the refrigerator is covered the motherboard is not!!! How ridiculous is this? This company is a big scam. I reported this to BBB and the company responded saying they would not cover it as per the contract and i could cancel my membership for $35 !! Someone needs to stop this company. A Class action lawsuit would be awesome.