Cabelas Visa World's Foremost Bank / 0% interest is misleading

UT, United States Review updated:
4.45
0% interest promotion seems to be a scam.

Don't get burned by Cabelas 0% interest "deal". Warning!! Don't get burned by this HOT Slick DEAL. Be aware that the Bank that Cabelas uses is World's Foremost Bank. It is basically owned by Cabelas. The Bank policy is such that it is "almost impossible" to get the 0% interest. This is their scam. Say your monthly statement is $1000. And say you have a 0% interest purchase of $500. Say you pay $1200 expecting the extra 200 to go to reducing the 0% balance (like most if not all of us would expect).

SURPRISE, the Bank will show 1000 going to pay the monthly bill, THEN it will apply the 200 to NEXT Month's bill (assuming you use the card and have been charging purchases to it). SO, your 0% balance IS NOT being paid as you expected and then WAMO, you get a bill with INTEREST charges on the SO CALLED 0% PURCHASE THAT YOU HAVE TRIED TO PAY OFF. Slick Deal indeed.

The only way not to get charged interest, is to NOT USE that card for the last couple of months of the promotion, then the Bank must apply payments to the 0% balance.

I personally think this is deceitful and false advertising. I have called Cabelas corporate office [protected] to complain and I urge you to do the same. Otherwise, get ready to be screwed and mis-lead.
Bi

Comments

Pc
  13th of Mar, 2009
I'm a Cabela's employee, and would like to clarify a couple things. First, World's Foremost Bank is not "basically owned" by Cabela's. It is simply a part of Cabela's. Second, if you read the promotion terms and conditions you would see that the promotion applies only to that specific purchase. Any other charges you have on the card would be charged the same interest rate. We deal with this every day. People fail to read the fine print, and then yell at us for being "deceptive." It is the responsibility of every consumer to read what they are getting into. If not, any dissatisfaction is your own fault.
Bi
  14th of Mar, 2009
Well PckerFan414, you are no brighter than the Customer Service folks at Cabelas. You DID NOT READ, or CAN NOT UNDERSTAND EXACTLY what I EXPLAINED above.

I do not care about what interest rate "additional" purchases are under. I PAY ALL OF MY BALANCE each month. I EVEN PAY MORE, TO PAY DOWN THE 0% BALANCE (or I TRIED TO). Cabelas WILL NOT ALLOW ANY, AGAIN ANY, EXTRA PAYMENTS to be applied to the 0%.

The ONLY way to NOT be CHARGED ANY INTEREST, is to STOP using the credit card UNTIL there is NOTHING ON IT, NOTHING, NOT EVEN A REMAINING BALANCE OF THE 0% ITEM.

THEREIN LIES THE PROBLEM. AND AS FAR AS READING CABELA'S POLICY, THEY DO NOT FOLLOW IT THEM SELVES. I POINTED THAT OUT TO THE "HEAD" CUSTOMER SERVICE REP. AND SHE AGREED WITH ME!!!
Pe
  14th of May, 2009

Cabelas Visa World's Foremost Bank - Still not quite right
Cabelas Visa World's Foremost Bank
Shippensburg
Pennsylvania

Cabela's Visa called and asked us to correct our original complaint on this website. While I could not find a way to correct the original complaint (something this site should FIX) I will add this complaint to it and hope that helps the poor women who work in the help department at this company.

While it turned out we did owe the money that we disputed because of an error on a magazine order and it was not Cabela's fault that they kept billing us, my complaint as far as how they handled it still stands.

Case in point, I called to say we did need to pay the disputed amount and sent the amount we owed to them. I apologized for the mix up in communication. Three days later we got another bill for a late fee and a finance charge in addition to the money we ended up owing. I understand they may not have gotten our payment and they did credit last months late fee and finance charge but it would seem that this bank doesn't know what it is doing and it leaves the poor "Quality control" people making up for what is lacking in the regular business side of the company.

I think the "help people" who work for this company deserve a medal and I would still say, "Don't get this card!"
Pb
  18th of Jul, 2009
I carried NO balance month to month. I used my card onvacation and had a balance for the first time since I got the card years ago, BAM...they raise the interest rate from 12.99% to 20.99% which they ARE allowed to do according to terms.Well, Obama startd this whole thing with the credit card reform statements and actions. So...NOW, the scramble to jack up rates and fees before the new reforms take effect. I have over a 700 FICO. Other cards did not raise rates but maybe a few ponts, BUT only a few banks did. So, this is just the beginning of the HOPE & CHANGE screwing comng. BUYER BEWARE!!! PS...I'm through with Cabela's except for Cabela ONLY purchases and NO BALANCE!!!
Si
  17th of Jan, 2010
BINGO ! A NOTHER CREDIT CARD COMPANY WORKING AT THIER BEST...TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THEIR CUSTOMERS. I traveled for my first time in November 2009 to the Cabelas store in West Virginia. It was a 2 hour trip from Pennsylvaia, but it was my son's 16 th birthday and I wanted to treat him to the store. We walked into the store with the intentions of me spending less than $75 for a gift. yeah Right, $60 bucks to infiinety. I picked him out an under armour camo shirt for $55 and had plans on just looking around for awhile. One must admit, the walk around the place is eye opening with their huge fish tanks and mounted deer that most of us could only dream about seeing in the woods. Then we headed upstairs to look around when we were quickly followed around by a sales person. I had my eye on a meat grinder and picked up a $200 and realized it was out of my league to buy it at that time. before I set it down, the sales lady approached us and said " thats made of all steel gears, you will never need another one. Why I then said what I did is something I seem to tell people that 99.9 % of them could really care less. I said" I just put two boys in college this year, I am without work at the time, and I could never be able to afford it. Oh wait she said, we have just the deal for you..I can get a form for you and you can put everything on our special deal credit card we are runing on a promotion right now, It will run out next week". I said no, but she insisted it would only take a minute, and no payment till May or June of next year. Oh, I thought, I could do so and pay it off with my income tax check in Feb 2010. Then she left and was back minutes later with the form and insisted it would take less than 3 mintes to fill out. So, I gave in and did it, ONLY DO TO THE 0% FINANCING for the first 6 months. She also promised me I would get $15 of this order and 200 points i could use on this order too. What a deal she said, you have about $400 all together if you buy this meat grinder and the trip down to West Va. would be worth it. My wife had paid the this bill over the last 3 months and I assumed there was no charge on it. NOPE, tonight I called about a different matter and asked them what the $60 extra finance charge on my bill. Customer Service said that was normal. What I said, I was told I had 0% finance charges for 6 months. Now I am waiting 48-72 hours for them to get back with a explanation. So... my fault for not stopping and getting one of my kids to read it before leaving the store because I didn't have my reading glasses ? It's my fault because I took a saleswomens word and two other people in a booth that told me 0% fifnancing also for this special promotion they were running? Does that mean I could walk into any store give them cash for an item and tell them they needed to read the fine print before they spent it ? Sorry Cabelas's, corporate banks, and you might as well add all the Big Pharmacy companys with you. You all are walking on THIN ICE and when it breaks, one day their will be no one to keep you from drowning, and you and your partners in crime will lay in the bottom of the lake with all the other bottom feeders that live there.
Ca
  4th of May, 2010
Cabelas does not answer email complaints, they appear to have no interest in customer satisfaction. This company has too many crooks and lawyers operating it from the top down.
Buyer beware and find what you need somewhere other than Cabela's. BEEN THERE AND BEEN RIPPED OFF!
Fi
  6th of Aug, 2010
8/6/2010

I had just figured this out and low and behold I see this post and I totally agree this is a scam.

Indeed, I just finished talked with Worlds Foremost and they admitted they are applying monthly over-payments not on the principal of the delayed billing transaction but instead toward current activity transactions that are not yet due.

Again, they admitted this but said that the new CC Laws past this year will make them change this practice now. I believe that this has always been a hustle and now because of the new legislation there are some steep penalties if they get caught.

I will be calling Cabela's Corporate Offices Monday and as suggested above I suggest everyone who has been so hustled should also.
Da
  9th of Mar, 2013
Sitinathome-
I'm shocked that you are without work!!! Did you write this posting without your reading glasses, as well??? You write like a boob, and are trying to blame someone else for your admittedly negligent actions i.e. not reading a credit card application, before signing up for it! Don't get me wrong, I'm not any more in favor of banks/CC companies being allowed to run their charades, than anyone else, but c'mon, that was just downright stupid of you! Out of work, two kids in college, and the best use of your tax return is a financed meat grinder??? Need I say more? BTW, you spelled your own name wrong!

Cabela's Logo Cabela's