Buytelco / High Speed Internet Service Through Satellite / Charged twice for installation before providing service, and has several disconnected contact numbers

We wanted to buy high speed internet service and decided to go through our current satellite dish provider, DirectTV. Apparently, DirectTV provides high-speed internet through another company called WildBlue, which then contracts out to BuyTelco. We were charged twice on our Visa for the installation (before anything was actually installed). When I called WildBlue to get the duplicate charge taken off, they said they couldn't do that, and that I need to talk to BuyTelco to get it taken care of.

They gave me a number for BuyTelco [protected]), which I called but found that it was no longer in service. So I called WildBlue back, and they gave me two more numbers to try [protected] – no answer; and [protected] – msg: “this subscriber’s mailbox is full and is unable to accept any more messages at this time.”).

By this time, I decided to go through my credit card company. The first representative wasn't very helpful. He gave me yet another number [protected]) which was also not in service.

I called Bank of America back, and the second rep was quite helpful, passing me along to their billing disputes dept. The woman who was in that dept took the duplicate charge off, and then she did a 3 way call to BuyTelco and walked through the steps with me.

We never did get to speak to a real person, but the automated system said that BuyTelco supposedly has our order and supposedly will be providing our service. However, I am highly doubtful since a company with 4 non-working numbers is definitely suspect.

Comments

• Sc
      4th of Sep, 2007

I work for BuyTelco (Acceller, Inc.) and handle the calls at the 786-837-6808 #. It is unfortunate that this customer has had a bad experience trying to contact our organization and i apologize for that. Last week we were in the process of transitioning the charge function to Directv to take advantage of their vast support resources. We temporarily provided this service for them until they were ready to take over charging for the equipment and providing customer support for the Wild Blue internet products. Our primary function is as a software company and facilitator of broadband services to the public. Directv partners with us to provide it's customers broadband services at a discount to the prevailing prices in the market. That transition has now been completed and customers will no longer be charged by BuyTelco when ordering services directly from Directv. Customers can expect a much easier time with technical support and pricing issues with the numerous experienced support teams that Directv maintains at it's call centers. Last week was a busy week and my Voice Mail filled up a few times. For those customers that were inconvenienced because of this I am truly sorry. I would encourage those interested in Directv and Wild Blue to give the process another shot at 888-777-2454. Although equipment lead times are a little long right now, the customer care issues should be resolved... Feel free to contact me with questions...

• Te
      17th of Sep, 2007

This is actually an update to my complaint above. As of today, September 17th, we still have not been contacted by WildBlue about our installation. I just want to say I wish I had found The Complaints Board and read all the horror stories on WildBlue/BuyTelco before we requested high speed internet through DirectTV/WildBlue. Guess I'll be contacting WildBlue to cancel our order even though they will charge $50 for cancellation fee even though none of this was our fault. The next step in this saga will be the BBB.

• Sc
      21st of Sep, 2007

If you have circumstances that cause you to cancel beyond your control we are happy to consider those and reimburse the $50. Please call me at 786-837-6808 to discuss. Thanks

• Te
      28th of Oct, 2007

While I thank Mr. Shaw for his replies, the fact remains that it took about a month and a half from the day I placed the order to the final installation of the satellite dish. My husband thinks that is an unacceptable time frame for receiving a product, especially since our credit card was charged the day after I placed the order.

The product works fine when it is working. However, there are periods of mysterious loss of connection (clear skies, no obstructions that we can discern) that are rather annoying.

I would recommend to those who are considering the high-speed-internet-through-satellite route to wait for DSL to reach their neck of the woods. If it doesn't look like that is a possibility for the near future, then this, really, is the next best thing. But the caveat is, as always: buyers beware.