Buy.com / Online scam

First off, I noticed how many people were complaining about the Shopper Discounts and Rewards company and the Reservation reward company. Both companies are probably owned by the same people. They both charge people 10 or 12 dollars a month for subscriptions the consumer is not even aware off. Well, I think I know one of their ways of receiving credit card numbers. And buy.com is one of them. Both of these companies use a phishing approach and when you make a purchase off of buy.com, they approach you by telling you that you just have received a 10 dollar credit towards your next purchase right after you just purchased an item off of buy.com. The trick here is that they try to make it seem as they are completely affiliated with buy.com. But they are not. I believe buy.com should take responsibility and look at what advertisements they put up on their webpages. These scam companies make their advertisements look like if they were part of the buy.com webpage and will land some people about a 120 bucks short every year. I hope someone sues this company and some people go to jail for this.

Va

Comments

• Pi
      24th of Apr, 2007
    buy.com - Misleading sales and delivery information

I had an extremely bad experience with Buy.com after ordering a TV bracket being promoted with “Free shipping”. Shortly after I placed the order online I received an email confirmation showing a shipping charge. I immediately replied requesting that they either credit the shipping or cancel the order. This was within an hour of the online order. I used email because that is the only avenue they make available to the customer – there is no phone number on the site. A few hours later I received an email that amounted to a tutorial on how to order on Buy.com. I again instructed them to cancel my order and complained about the lack of a phone number. I received an email the next day telling me they would like to cancel the order but had no way of knowing if it was shipped. The email also contained a phone number. Within minutes after receiving the email I received a confirmation of shipment. When I called to complain I got an extremely polite customer service representative who actually told me she felt the same way I did BUT was not empowered to make any changes or issue any credits. She said she would relay my concerns to her supervisor and get back to me. She never did. Polite, empathetic and totally useless. I believe the “customer service department” of Buy.com is outsourced and is designed to be of absolutely no help at all. It’s just a stall tactic. The money involved is inconsequential but I will never do business with Buy.com again and would recommend others to do the same.

• To
      17th of Dec, 2007
    California

I bought new mouse and they shipped me used item. Returned for a replacement and got same used item in a different box. Beware of the selling practices. There are so many complaints against this company on the web. DO NOT do business with them.

Tom

• Da
      20th of Dec, 2007
    Buy.com - Extremely dissatisfied customer!
    Phone: 1-800-800-0800
    www.buy.com

I purchased an MP3 player on 12/9/07. I paid for the 3-5 day shipping. On 12/19/07, I still had not received my order-- over the 3-5 day shipping. I had to look online to find a phone number since none is listed on their website. I called and was placed on hold for 45 minutes. I finally did get a human being and she was less than helpful-- saying that I was wrong, even though I was reading directly off of their website. Think it's over? Not by a long shot!

Today (12/20/07) I received my order. They sent me the wrong item! Not only is it wrong, they don't even make the item that they sent anymore! If this had been the same model, just a smaller storage size (I ordered a 6GB, if they had sent a 2GB or a 4GB I would have settled for a partial refund.) I called this afternoon, as soon as I received the package, and told them that they made a serious error and need to correct it as soon as possible. They told me that I would have to send it UPS (their cost-- Ground, slowest possible) and they they would process it 5-7 days after receiving it... then they would ship it 3-5 day shipping again... so a month after I originally placed the order, I should have the right one. I explained to the rep that I was extremely upset by this, and that this was not acceptable. He thanked me for calling and then hung up on me. I called back and asked to speak with a supervisor. Apparently no supervisor was available (yeah right!). I again told the rep how dissatisfied I was and that this was unacceptable. They should be processing this immediately and overnighting to me for this inconvenience. Instead, they are treating it like a common return, when it is their continuing incompetence and lousy customer service that caused the problem in the first place. I will never order from Buy.com again and I will make sure that everyone I know hears about how horrible the experience was. Buyer beware!

26th of Dec, 2007
    Buy.com - Do not honor anything!
    85 Enterprise
    Aliso Viejo
    Phone: 800-800-0800
    www.buy.com

I bought the Microsoft Zune 30GB refurbished during Thanksgiving sales for $94.95 on 11/24/07 and until todays 12/25/07 I still didn't receive my order yet. Buy.com never shipped out my order, but continued to send out several emails to me offering the same item for $109.00 and up instead. They regularly posted it for sale for $109.00 and up on their website too. Zune 30GB is very demanding during this holidays.

Each time I checked the status of my order they claimed it was the setback from the supplier and never was able to give me the precise delivery date. I don't believe a bit that there is a setback from the supplier. buy.com just sold my Zune to the people who paid it for $109.00 and more. They never confirmed a delivery date because buy.com wanted me and others to give up the order and canceled it. Like that they can make a shame profit of $20.00 or more for each order canceled.

I did check out with Google and the transaction has been posted into my statement. That means buy.com did get my money and I never get my order delivered.

The fact is there that buy.com just blew themselves up very well. On one hand, they claimed a setback from the supplier and don't shipped out the item to their customers who paid Microsoft Zune 30GB refurbished @ $94.95 (maybe just a few lucky enough customers to get delivered), on the other hand at the same time they proposed exactly the same item Microsoft Zune 30GB refurbished for sale for $109.00 and up throughout emails and website.

I did inform buy.com that I bought the Zune 30GB for my son Christmas gift. They didn't bother to let me know that they couldn't meet to deliver it before Christmas. I don't believe that adults from buy.com for an additional of $20.00 profit for each Zune 30GB go to low to ruin kids holidays gifts.

PS: On 12/25/2007 Christmas Day, buy.com informed me that the item is no longer available and they automatically canceled my order.

12th of Jan, 2008

Totally agree with this complaint. this company is only out to take money from the general population. I had thought about ordering a PS3 from them...I will be taking my business elsewhere. Screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me. I will not be a victim again. It is not the amount of the money that makes me mad...it is the deception when checking out, especially if you use Google checkout.

29th of Jan, 2008
    Buy.com - Buy.com would not take returns on Christmas presents!
    www.buy.com

Buy.com would not take returns on Christmas presents because they only have a ten day return period. That's all good and well and my fault for not reading the medium print?? I guess I'm suppose to open my kids electronic items back in the beginning of December when they were having all the big sales, assemble, charge the batteries, etc..., and then test the product fully and then take apart and repackage the product so Santa could deliver it for Christmas. Of course like I said it's my fault for not doing that. So when my kid opens up a remote control helicopter all full of joy and then finds out it's broken and does not work and then even worse that Santa doesn't take returns....Buy.com was just a huge disappointment and I for one am BOYCOTTING the company for life and am reaching out that everyone on the planet please do the same. I want to put the money grubbing, excess profiteering, sob's out of business and I mean business. There are plenty of online stores that have just as good or better prices and a lot of them are tied to brick and mortar retailers where you can just make returns to them. Buy.com was not concerned with any Christmas spirit, just capitalistic Christmas profiting. Shut Buy.com down permanently, we need to show these capitalistic excessive profiting companies that the consumers are the ones in charge, not the CEO's. The consumers are the bread and butter and the sooner these companies find that out then the sooner these companies will start respecting and treating the consumer like they should. So please everyone NO MORE BUY.COM, STOP SHOPPING AT BUY.COM, SHUT BUY.COM DOWN. THANK YOU!!!

31st of Mar, 2008
    Buy.Com
    Florida

I have sent several emails to Buy.com to find out how to return a defective item and they do not reply to my emails. Do Not Buy From BUY.Com

• Mi
      3rd of Jul, 2008

Purchased an ASUS computer from Buy.com. Once I opened the box I realized that the product had been opened before. The ASUS didn't meet our needs and the wireless didn't work. Buy.com would NOT process a return authorization for any reason. They said it was their policy not to refund some of their products . This is not stated in the purchase documents.

Call after call to the Buy.com Customer service in the Philippines was fruitless and frustrating. They have trained their reps to keep your money. Had no choice but to lodge a complaint through my credit card company. They seem confident that they can mediate a refund. But life is too short to deal with this kind of business. Stay away.

31st of Jul, 2008
    Buy.com - Scam and fraud
    buy.com

I have made couple of purchases with Buy.com in the past, but I never had to contact them at all so never knew that they don't have any customer service. last month I saw their newsletter that they are giving a External Hard Disk with big mail-in-rebate. The price attracted me so I ended up buying one. Mail original packing slip with UPC code was requirement for rebate.

When I got the VOX hard disk the packing slip was for some other person and for some other product. Mistake happens, so I mailed the customer support (as they didn't have any tele contact) to send me a copy of the right one. No response in next two days, so I send a reminder, guess what no response.

I mailed third time to get automated response. Only to hear that mail is not clear. With no way to contact back to clarify, it was like I dont get it, GOODBYE.

I again mailed fourth time on site, making it as clear as possible. NO RESPONSE.

Mailed fifth time, by then part of me knew that I am not going to get any thing from this company. So I wrote full of anger that I am not going to buy any more from them. Its there mistake and they should help me out.

This time I got a response HURRAY, they are looking into the matter. 10 days past but no more reply, I guess they have to dig seven-feet to get a copy of packing slip from its grave. Which being in business I know that takes one click to Mail / Fax / Email a copy of packing slip.

The company has framed them self as a big corporation, but originally they are a pathetic organization which dont even have a customer support. I still feel lucky that at least I got the Hard Disk, otherwise who I would have been crying to.

So everyone buy from BUY.com. BEST OF LUCK.

• Ra
      9th of Aug, 2008

I completely agree. I trusted Buy.com as one of the trustworthy sellers until I got ripped.
    Buy.com sells used-equipment without explicitly listing as "used". I ordered a IBM Thinkpad sku#206209095 laptop listed in the site as "Reconditioned"
    I received the item clearly marked as "used-equipment". The laptop showed a LOT of wear. The website allows to return "Reconditioned/Refurbished" item only to exchange for another piece of same item. So I had to send it back as "opened-non-defective". Which as per Buy.com policy is subject to 15% re-stocking fee. I was charged 15% restocking fee. And I shipped on my expense. After many email exchanges, Buy.com customer service refused to answer why they sold "used-equipment" without explicitly mentioning as "used-equipment".

buy.com - Misleading sales and delivery information
    Buy.com

I had ordered the product from Buy.com, when I trace the order on the buy.com website, it shows it has been shipped via Fedex.
    When I see the tracking number on Fedex, it shows package has been accepted on my behalf, I am sure nobody has accepted the package atleast at my apartment. The Fedex tracking order also shows a Proof of signature, but that is not mine signature. I fear the package has been accepted/delivered to wrong recipient.

I reported this to Fedex & they maintain that there is a proof of delivery & hence the delivery is done. What I am trying to say to both Buy.com & Fedex is somebody unauthorized to collect the package has collected the package & so file the claim, but they are not agreeing to it.

When I try to lodge the claim with Fedex, they say only Buy.com(shipper) can file the claim, and when I try to lodge the claim with Buy.com they say I have to followup with Fedex.

Buy.com - Buy.com borderline Consumer Fraud
    San Francisco
    California

I bought a Vivitar camcorder from buy.com. The camcorder had two reviews, one was good and the other says the machine broke down in week 1. I thought what are the chances of mine breaking down in week 1, right? My Vivitar camcorder broke down on Day 6 of arrival, the 2nd time of use.

When I called Buy.com, the rep said they can't take the camera back even though they have a 14 day return guarantee. The reason: The 14-day period starts counting when package leaves buy.com; the ground shipping I choose took over a week and puts me over the 14 days.

This policy means buy.com gives customers different return protection according to the shipping method. Ground shipping customers get less than the 14 day return guarantee. I think this is borderline consumer fraud.

I will never buy from buy.com again.

12th of Aug, 2008

Oh man I feel sorry for you...

• Sk
      22nd of Aug, 2008
    Buy.com - spam
    buy.com

I am delighted with a great deal, a book my teenager needed for high school summer reading. But I had changed my email address in the spring and not had a single piece of spam since- that is, until I provided feedback on the purchase from buy.com in early August. Now I'm getting 2-3 a day and I think they sold my address... I have been very careful about all my activities and certainly regret having provided my feedback now!

25th of Aug, 2008

After purchasing a Mega Giga ball for my daughter for Christmas, I found out that the product was defective when I tried to inflate the ball on Christmas day. Because I shop early for Christmas presents (in this case a reasonable 30 days before) I am denied a replacement product from buy.com because of thier new 14-day policy on any returns or replacements. Although the buy.com website does define their 14-day policy on returns and replacements, this policy is nothing mre then a "buy at your own risk" policy for Consumers like us, so BEWARE.

5th of Sep, 2008
    85 Enterprise, Suite 100
    Aliso Viejo
    buy.com

I purchased software, acrobat 9 pro, for a mac on aug 2. I was immediately charged via paypal and received an order confirmation stating the software was in - stock and would ship in 1 - 2 days. Order problems were supposed to be communicated immediately. A week later, aug. 9, i received an e - mail stating the product was not available and would not be restocked. Foolishly, i got back on the site and ordered the same software with a different user's license and expedited delivery. Exactly the same story except i had to call - not easy - the company to get a status. Not available, won't be restocked. All my questions were answered with "i don't know. " and "i'm sorry. ". The software is the mfg's newest version and is readily available. I do not believe buy.com ever stocked the software in any platform or license.

15th of Sep, 2008
    Buy.com - Price match is deceptive
    buy.com

I purchased a video card on 9/8/2008 for $34.99 after a $20.00 manufactures rebate and free shipping. Two days later they reduced the price to $29.99 after a $20.00 manufacturers rebate and free shipping (exactly the same thing only $5.00 cheaper). I submitted my request on 9/11/2008 and received a response saying that my request has to be made within 3 days and can't be shipped with free shipping or have any rebates or coupons associated with it. As well the price match is only against a small handful of other e-tailers (about 7) they don't even match price against themselves. So how can they advertise a price match guarantee that is so different from industry standards for a price match guarantee? I don't know but I'm not shopping there any more as long as they advertise the price match guarantee without spelling out the conditions. I find it very deceptive. I called to complain and they didn't care even when I told them I wouldn't shop there anymore. What does that say?

• Ne
      28th of Oct, 2008
    Buy.com - Product shipped w/o game chip
    434 Dogwood Lane
    Lowell
    Indiana
    Phone: 219-696-4713
    buy.com

Do not expect buy.com to correct problems. They only want to prevent returns. I recommend that you spend your money with someone else. Ordered a game for a Gameboy. Exterior of box arrived undamaged. Inside, there was a box for the game (that was not shrinkwrapped) and the game chip was missing. First they told me the that since the products weight was okay, no mistake was made. They they told me that, per company policy, one the shipper received the product, the customer was responsible. Thus there was nothing they could do. My fight has just begun, but if you do not shop at buy.com, you can avoid these problems.

• Ga
      23rd of Nov, 2008
    Buy.com - FRAUD

BUY.COM-while placing an order on the website they offered a $20 savings for purchases over $100 using Bill Me Later as a form of payment. As soon as I submitted the order for 2 video games, there was an immediate $1561.41 unauthorized purchase to my account for a gas grill I did not order. I contacted BUY.COM immediately who was no help in fixing the problem. They insisted there was no order with my shipping address or email address. I explained that I was charged for a $1561. item by BILLMELATER.COM. They insited there was no order to cancel and yet BILL ME LATER states I an responsible for this charge. BEWARE OF BUY.COM and BILL ME LATER.

• Bp
      27th of Nov, 2008

I also had an issue last Christmas whereby I was sent a tracking number for a delivery, but the package never showed up, and then they told me that it never shipped. But that wasn't until after Christmas. Hopefully things have gotten better at Buy.com.