Butler Creek Animal Hospital / Failure to Refund Monies

United States, Georgia, Acworth Review updated:
Newly adopted dog was taken to Butler Creen Animal Hospital for an exam and to complete the Humane Society paperwork. Dog was given a rabies shot that was not required. Information verifying that she was spayed was not sent to the Humane Society as required. Dog was there for a week of kennel services. Dog was not given blankets provided or treats. When I called to complain about the kenneling, I was told the Humane Society paperwork was still in the file since August and not sent. I was alos told that the dog was given a rbies shot she did not need. I was offer a free day of kennel services and a refund of $15 for the rabies. I requested that the $15 be sent to me and the $21 for the day of free kenneling. That was Feb 1 and I have yet to receive a response.
The dog now has a new vet, but I have yet to receive my money.

More Butler Creek Animal Hospital Complaints & Reviews

A  9th of Oct, 2009 by
Our 9 year old cat was brought in with vomiting and weakness early this week. After extensive testing (and over $500) we were told she had urinary tract infection. She was sent home with antibiotics and painkillers (Buprenex - which is like morphine). We gave her first dose at bedtime that night and the next morning another dose. When I called to inquire why the instructions said to give every 12 hours yet there was only enough for 2 doses, I was told to bring her in IMMEDIATELY! I raced her over where the doctor said she should be fine but they wanted to keep her a few hours for observation. The doctor had prescribed .15 ml to be given every 12 hours, but the tech had typed .5ml on the instructions and had even marked the vile at the .5 ml mark. This is a significantly HIGHER dosage. The doctor and the office manager both admitted to the tech's mistake and apologized. The manager called back this evening and only offered refund to the Buprenex quoting that was due to it not lasting long enough (what?). My concern is that this was gross negligence that never should have happened and could have caused respiratory depression possibly resulting in death. I feel we are due a partial to complete refund as we trusted them with the health, safety, and well being of our beloved pet and they made what could have been a fatal error. They are downplaying this 'mistake' as though, oh well, she's fine, so, no more we can or will do for you. I am afraid there may be another incidence such as this down the road and the next furry family member will not be so lucky. I am also writing to the BBB, the AVMB, the GA Board of Veterinary Medicine and passing the word through the community. There is never room for such careless mistakes in the medical field.
N  10th of Oct, 2009 by
UPDATE - RE: Butler Creek - FAIL

Since I posted the above comments last night, I have spoken to the owner of Butler Creek Animal Hospital, Tommy Thompson, this morning. He was very honest, compassionate and understanding of the situation and offered his utmost apologies. While he did convey to me that this particular drug at that dosage was not life threatening, he understands that had this been another drug, the outcome may have had disastrous results. He has promised to refund us IN FULL, retrain his staff, and put extra procedures into place to insure this will not happen again. I have also received an apology from the manager this morning which I very much appreciate. I have never had a problem with Butler Creek Animal Hospital, its doctors, or its staff in the past with the care of our pets. I also very much appreciate Dr. Padgett's honesty of the mistake of the staff member who filled the prescription medication and her excellent care for our cat.
In closing, I feel this was an isolated incident that has been satisfactorily resolved and am pleased to put this matter to rest.

Butler Creek Animal Hospital Logo Butler Creek Animal Hospital