Burlington, Illinois Oasis / Racist, Rude cashier

1 125 Plank RoadBurlington, IL, United States Review updated:

I was on my way home, when noticed I needed a gas, I also had a lottery ticket wich I purchased at the BP, in Burlington, Illinois
at the Burlington Oasis on 125 Plank Road. I had been there a few times and I thought the guy who sold me the ticket was very nice I played the Powerball the first time it was sold in Illinois, and he adviced me to pay the extra dollar so if I won, It would be double, and so I did. When I walked into the gas station on Monday Feb.15 at (17:57:19) it was 6:00pm I waited my turn in line, there was a woman cashier behind the register and I was a little nervous because she had been rude to me last time I was there. It took her a while to get to me she was taking her time with a red head talking and getting her lottery tickets and scratchoffs, and before asking me what I neede she said to the red head "is there anything else I can get for you honey?" I handed her my ticket and explained to her what the guy at the register had mentioned about the double pay, she immediately said thats not ours we don't sell those here, her friend(the red head who she was gossiping with) turned to me and said that's Indiana lotto, so I said, I have not been to Indiana, but I will come back when the nice gentleman who sold me the ticket is here. I said, I also need twenty dollars of gas but wasn't sure what number pump, and with a nasty attitude( she didn't bother to look behind her after I described my car to her) she says to me "well there are a lot of cars out there I sure as hell don't know which one is yours". So I said o.k and went towards the door and looked at the number and said to her "it's number three" she then proceded to ring me up chuckling and looking at other customers as if she was having fun with me, I did not think it was funny, I paid with my debit card and waited for my receipt, she didn't bother to give it to me and went to the next customer, without asking if I needed anything else, so by then I was upset and told her she was rude, and could I just get my receipt so I could get the heck out of there, and I would just come back when the nice guy was there, as I was leaving she threatened me said she was calling the cops and she would not sell me anything more, and told me to leave as she proceded to take down my license, she yelled "You don't have to stand there and be a ###!" I did not deserve that and she was totally out of line. Being a paying customer I feel that every paying customer should be treated with respect, this woman humiliated me, embarrased me in front of others, and accused me of I don't know what, disrupting? possibly because I did not run when she threatened me with calling the cops I did nothing wrong other than Not be White, I am certain she is racist she only treated me that way because she did not like the color of my skin. I sat and waited for the Police to come, I then decided to call them myself wich is what I should have done when she called me a ### and yelled at me, and was taking my plate number. If this is a "White Premises Only" there should be a sign posted, to avoid such humiliating situations. I hope this does not happen to anyone else but I certainly will let other people know, about that particular woman who should not be working with the public. If some one could please get back to me so I know that something will be done about this, you can reach me at sylviac3@yahoo.com Please if there are videos of this gas station please review it and if I were to be at fault I would apologize, but if other wise I know I deserve an apology.
S.C. PS report #10-3198 her name will be on this report.

Comments

• Fo
      29th of May, 2010

i agree that that shouldn't have happened to you but on what basis was she racist? i'm sorry that you feel that way but claiming someone is a racist just because they are a rude [censor] is just as bad as being racist. you IN FACT are being racist by doing that. I think the clerk was just an idiot, one that obviously has no business in customer service and should be terminated for treating ANYONE in that manner.

• Pu
      29th of Mar, 2011

I, too, received the same rude and imbecilic attitude just last night at this very same gas station, by an older, female cashier. I have been looking on the internet for ethanol-free stations, and found 28 listed in Illinois. The website is pure-gas.org. It lists ethanol-free gas stations in every state, by the way. At any rate, the B.P. in Burlington as 10% ethanol stickers above the regular and mid-grade gasoline, but no ethanol sticker on the premium pump. I have been buying ethanol-free gas lately in Wisconsin, where there are over 150 stations, 9 in Madison and 3 in Janesville, for example. The mileage on my 1 ton work trucks that have 6.0 liter engines have improved in mileage from 11-12 mpg to 14-15 mpg while using ethanol-free gas. My reasons for looking for stations in Illinois are obvious--better mileage, less fuel consumption. Also, my truck runs quieter, and with more power. But I digress; I went into the B.P. Burlington store while my truck was fueling with the premium, and I waited as the clerk, who was bent over emptying a carton behind the counter, finished with what she was doing. There was no one else in the store at that moment. I stood just inside the door by the newspapers, and I said "I have a quick question"--I began to preface my question with "Your regular and mid-grade pumps say '10% ethanol' and the premium pump does not indicate ethanol and"...then the clerk interupted me and said "all gasoline has ethanol, IT'S A STATE LAW!". I then informed the clerk "it is not a state law, and there are at least 28 stations in Illinois that sell ethanol free gas" and the clerk then said "you didn't ask me if our gas had ethanol, you told me about our pumps" and I said "it's not a State law, ma'm" and she said " I answered your question, have a good day" (in other words, get the heck out of my store). I then said "why are you telling me its a State law, when it isn't, and"...and again she interrupted me saying "all gas has ethanol, have a good day", and then I said "why aren't you interested in"...again I was interrupted, this time by another customer, who had just come into the store when I had asked her why she was telling me it was a State law, male, early to mid-20s. He was at the cash register and he then chimed in, asking me "why does it matter?" I again tried to get a complete sentence out of my mouth and the clerk again said in a louder voice yet "have a nice day!" (to be interpreted "get out of my store"). I left wondering several things: 1) why didn't the clerk let me finish my first question instead of anticipating what I was going to ask her; 2) why wasn't she interested in her customer, who was obviously asking a perfectly legitimate question--2 of the 3 pumps are labeled, the premium is not, and pumps are supposed to list this information, and I'm quite certain that is an E.P.A. regulation, however, not my intention to try and unilaterally regulate the fuel business in Burlington, IL, or anywhere else, and 3) why wouldn't this clerk be interested in a customer who has spent over $400 on work vehicles in that store in the last week???? Instead, she repeatedly interrupted me, wasn't interested in my question at any point, insisted on repeating this myth and falsehood that "all gas has ethanol and it's a State law", and was obviously only interested in my leaving the store. The tone of her voice and her impatient, rude attitude are difficult to recreate in words, however, my purpose here is to encourage folks who are traveling from DeKalb County east along Plank Road through Burlington to buy gas in Dekalb County. I visited with the folks at the Kirkland Kwik Stop in Kirkland, IL, and at first got the same answer "all gas has ethanol", but when I informed the manager, Kevin, that I had been to a website that lists ethanol-free gas, he was very interested, and when I informed him I had been buying this gas in Wisconsin and that there are over 150 stations listed in Wisconsin on this website, he was very, very interested. I explained the vehicle mileage improvement as well as the vehicle performance, and I can say this: I will not be spending ANY money at the Burlington, IL B.P. (it used to be a Phillips 66 station by the way). I have encountered rude treatment there before, but, not like today--they must have more business than they can handle courteously, and obviously they have more business than they deserve. My wife works in Elgin, and she passes that station TWICE every single day. I drive 35, 000 miles a year. You can do the arithmetic--this clerk wasn't interested in keeping my business, and only seeing to it that I never come back. Mission accomplished, ma'm.