Bundled Software / Criminal activity

I am so tired of spending my hard earned money on computer hardware and devices, which require bundled software to operate. The problem is that once you've budgeted for the hardware and shopped around for the best price available, the software necessary to make the device work, which comes bundled with the hardware will only function for a 30-day trial period, at which time you either have to shell out another pile of cash to purchase the software or you've just lost out on your initial investment. I wont name names right now, but let me just say that this is a widespread practice and I have been stiffed many times and sometimes by well respected manufacturers. I think that the government should step in and put a stop to this or at least have them label the packaging accordingly. If anyone else has been taken advantage of by this type of predatory marketing, I would like to hear from you. Also, if anyone is aware of any existing legislation engaged in fighting this, please let me know... I will stand outside every Best Buy, Office Depot, Staples, Office Max, ad infinitum, in the state I live in with petitions and even go door to door if necessary to stop this practice. After all, this is America and as citizens and consumers we should be protected from this type of "criminal" activity. Who's with me?

Va

Comments

• Ba
      8th of Jul, 2009

What crime are you talking about? Computer manufacturers aren't buying full versions of MS Office or AV products and you aren't paying one red cent more for those products when you buy your new computer.

They've worked out a deal with MS, Symantec, MacAfee and other software vendors so that those software companies can show the new computer owners of the benefits of those products and if the new computer owner wants to continue to use those products, they can be purchased. It's that simple.

Get it? Got it? Good!