bulldogDeaf

Ji Lumberton, NC Review updated:

Be careful! My daughter paid $1800 to Robert McBride for a dog who turned out to be stone deaf. He takes a very legalistic approach (for example, hsi guarantee requires getting particular vitamins he pushes). I sent him the vet's assessment and he kept asking for more documentation and kept changing his promises - he was not willing to make even a 50% refund. I would highly recommend looking somewhere else.

More bulldog Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Ji
      Sep 03, 2010

JimBoBob et al - my daughter bought the dog. She has had the dream for a number of years and was saving money for the past several years - now out of school so she is trying to live her dream.

I filed because she is very distraught and I was trying to help her as a father.

She bought the dog in person. We both went down to see the operation. We spent about 2 hours there. Mr McBride appeared to be okay - apparently talks a more sincere game than plays.

She has had the dog for about 1 month. Deafness in puppies is not that easy to detect if you assume the breeder would not sell a deaf puppy - they are very visually oriented and don't mind well even if they hear well. I was dog sitting for a few days while she was out of town and noticed something was wrong. I took him to the vet who said the ears looked fine - no wax or infection - appeared to be congenital defect.

Promises that kept changing between series of phone calls: (1) "I will make thing right", (2) I will refund 50% if you give me a letter from vet (done), (3) I won't do that, but will pay for extra training costs for deaf dog if you give me an estimate (done), (4) you don't really need a vibrating collar (how do you get a deaf dog's attention for hand signals if he isn't looking at you??). (5) I will give you some undefined amount but you need to send me all vet docs. At that point I was frustrated and the conversation ended. After hanging up I sent him all the vet docs showing all shots, including optional ones, and puppy care had been provided. I have not heard from him since and that is why I filed complaint.

I assumed he did not know the dog was deaf (not so sure now) and would have considered a 50% refund a very reasonable settlement for him - he would have gotten $900 for a deaf dog which I don't think he would have otherwise received.

I have decided he was never serious about 'making things right' and filed to hopefully help someone else from having this experience.

Stealth Pilot,

Not sure what you meant.

That is part of the problem.

Mr McBride was willing ( at least stated) to provide new puppie (I think he has problem selling them right now).

The problem is my daughter is attached and could not bear the thought of him being euthanized (Mr McBride told me he would not guarantee what would happen to Simon) or going to a family who would mistreat him - so she is willing to deal with a deaf dog.

If Mr McBride didn't intentionally sell a deaf dog and was seriously saddened that it happened, I think he would have gladly accepted a 50% settlement as very reasonable - would you pay $900 for a deaf dog?

Stealth Pilot,

I am glad your $300 runt worked out.

That is not the issue. My daughter has accepted she will need to deal with a deaf dog and loves him...my issue is that the breeder (Mr McBride) would not accept any responsibility - if you paid $300 and I was willing to settle for $900 do you thing Mr McBride taking $1800 and not accepting any responsibility is right?

Sep 03, 2010

Unless the deafness was congenital/genetic as it appears.

So, I guess if you bought a car and it only worked on 4 out of 8 cylinders after one month, you wouldn't have any problem.

The guarantee was that the dog did not have any major health problems - I would say total deafness is a major health problem.