Build America Foundation / Scam charges

1 6546 Townpoint Rd, Suite 107-13Suffolk, VA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 757-638-1524

I noticed on my bank account today a charge to what I was unfamiliar. I am on SS disability and called the number only to find out I am donating monthly to help the homeless. I barely get enough to live on myself & they stole not only this month but also last month and we going to attempt it for a year, telling me that I agreed to it?

Am I nuts? Heck no--I can''t pay my bills now. They need to donate to ME!! This place needs to be fined by FCC and I'll be reporting there next. Be careful...if they get you there's a good chance they've already had you or will again in future months.

Ju

Comments

• Cr
      18th of Feb, 2009

I have also been scamed. for the past few months I have noticed a small charge on my credit card, finally after three months I started to look into it. i have gotten nowhere with anyone. I called the creditcard company, nothing I called the BBB, nothing I called the "chairity" itself all I got was a busy signal. How can peolpe just do that and if we found out who it was we wouldn't get our money back anyway so they didn't only take my money I will most likely never donate to anything again.

• Be
      14th of May, 2009
    Build America Foundation - Unauthorized credit card withdrawals
    Virginia
    buildamericafoundation.org

Upon calling Build America…

The fast talking customer service representative told me I originally authorized a 12 month donation period back in October. October? I guess he’s assuming that I wouldn’t remember the details since it was so long ago. (But then my husband’s carpentry business was very slow and finances very tight for a family of 8, so I definitely would NOT have made a year-long donation commitment.) My donation period began months later? That’s awful weird. (And YES, I explicitly told him to cancel this year-long donation that I didn’t authorize!)

It’s a charity, for the homeless needing assistance… OK, but does that give you the right to withdraw money from my credit card without my approval, even for a ‘good cause?’

The rep said “maybe” during a phone presentation by an affiliated company it was another offer at the end that you authorized? No, I pay attention to any unsolicited phone calls that I might answer, especially when they deal with giving my money--and ignoring the Do Not Call Registry, of which I am part of.
    He had my name and credit card number on file, but how BAF got them is what is bugging me.

On the website http://www.buildamericafoundation.org/solution.htm the Build America Foundation Solution for the homeless hopes to “result in stemming the associated criminal acts for financial gain.” I hate to say it, but unauthorized withdrawals fall into this category…

My bank will also contact the company to begin a dispute process regarding all the transactions to ensure they are refunded. Hopefully there will be no further withdrawals…
    I’ve seen some other reports online regarding unauthorized credit card transactions regarding this company, so I am filing this complaint to warn consumers to watch their credit card statements…