Budget Truck Rentalscammers and thieves

I called on 5/29 in regards to renting a 24' truck. An employee (Pablo) at the 2017 South Western location in Chicago said that he had one and I could come get it. I was relieved because I had tried 3 location before that one. I showed up with my father and we walked into the office and Pablo had me complete all the paperwork in his office trailer except the damage inspection report. He informed me that all vehicles are on a full tank of gas and that they must be returned on a full tank or I will be charged for filling it up. After completing the paperwork, he then took me outside to the lot behind the trailer and unlocked the gate where the truck was kept. This was the only truck in the lot. We walked around the vehicle and he pointed on the dents and notated it on the paper. He had me sign the damage form and handed me the keys and asked if I needed to be guided out. I said yes, because this is the first time I've driven a truck this big. I got in and was really nervous but he guided me out and after pulling off the lot, I seen that the gas tank was just a little over a 1/4 of a tank. I called Pablo from my cell phone immediately and informed him that he had me sign for a full tank but there was only a 1/4 tank in there. He said "Really?... I'm sorry I don't know how that happened. Don't worry about it, just let them know when you turn it in." I was leery of the situation and I asked was he sure. He said "you'll be fine... have them call me if you have any problems, I'm always here." I hung-up then called back again because I remembered that he forgot the hand truck. He was really apologetic and instructed me to come on back.See Top 10 Worst Companies in Chicago Heights, ILMy father and I came back and Pablo met us on the side with the hand truck. I asked if he could give me any paperwork to make sure I would be cool with the gas and he said, "don't worry, you'll be okay. If they give you a hard time, just call me." We packed the truck and hit the road at about 4:30am the next morning. The ride was long but we made it to Atlanta at about 7:30pm on 5/30/08. We unloaded the truck the next day but we didn't finish until after close of business at the Destination Dealer. I wanted to just drop the truck off at the location but my intuition made me want to make sure we wouldn't have any issues with the gas. Therefore, I waited until Monday at 2:45 (Est) to drop it off. I informed the dealer of the gas situation and they shook their head and said that they'll call the Dispatching Dealer but once you sign for it you're stuck. This let me know this is not an abnormal thing that happens. He said he would call back to Chicago. When he did, they said they didn't remember anything but they would check the paperwork. The guy on the phone also said that maybe it was his brother who rented it out. However, it sounded like Pablo because I was on the line. He came back and said he remembers the hand truck but nothing about the gas. I became furious and still am. I called Customer Service and they weren't very helpful. They said if the Dispatching Dealer denies it, there's nothing they can do. (I was speaking with Destiny). I was really upset and I asked to speak to a manager. She said she was transferring me, however, I was on hold so long that I ran out of minutes on my phone. Too make a long story short, they still charged me more than $100 in gas plus a $25 fee and they were not motivated at all about talking to their dishonest employee about it.

Comments

• Mj
      Aug 04, 2008
    Budget Truck Rental - horrible service
    2000 South Western
    Chicago
    Illinois
    Phone: [protected]

I'm not much of an internet reviewer, but this place treated me so poorly that I've decided to create an account here just to let others know. The person with whom I spoke by phone (Sal) was quite friendly and willing to alter my arrangements from a car dolly to a car carrier at the last minute. Though he wouldn't quote me a firm price by phone, it ended up being pretty reasonable. The morning of my rental, though, he called at 11:00 am and demanded to know whether or not I was coming for the truck, since he had other people interested. I said yes, thinking that this is why we called it a "reservation." When I did pick up the truck and started to drive it off the lot I saw that the gas gauge was on empty. I immediately returned and complained; he told me just to have the place where I dropped it off call him. This is exactly what he told another internet reviewer who ended up having to pay to have it filled, so I made him write "empty" on the paperwork and sign it. (Thankfully, this ended up being sufficient for the people where I dropped the truck off.) Despite his friendly demeanor, Sal failed to give me any instructions (including the brochure that I later learned I was supposed to get) for loading the car onto the car carrier, which meant that we spent a ridiculous amount of time getting it secured. (We ultimately had to drive to another Budget garage that was open at 3:00 am to get it secured. Thank god for those guys.) Finally, when I got to my destination, I realized that all the rubbish on the car carrier that I had ignored that morning was actually roofing tiles, including a number of nails (at least one of which was sticking straight up). Somehow I avoided a flat tire, but God only knows how. Concluding thoughts? This place should be your last resort for truck rentals. If you have to go with them, be prepared.

• St
      Aug 29, 2008

The sad fact is that Budget dealers are independent. There is little oversight by the Budget corporation who becomes a dealer, or how well they actually do.

Do not let one bad dealer representent everyone. I am a dealer myself, and I have "gone to bat" with the corporation over a lot of bad situations.

If it makes you feel better...Uhaul is by far the worst! This is the reason many people even go to Budget.

Budget's customer service department isn't worth a hoot either...very uncooperative and no customer service skills.

I do find it totally amazing that the originating dealer allowed your truck to leave with an empty tank. No excuse for that at all.

• De
      Jan 15, 2009
    Budget Truck Rental - overcharged
    2807 Fowler Street
    Fort Myers
    Florida

The representatives lie about mileage rates on the truck and when I inquired about the extra charge she said call customer service. That was a joke, the customer service person was a jerk and sorry about your luck we don't give any free miles, BUT the representative at budget told me .99 a mile after 25 miles. The cost is not that much but I feel if a company is dishonest in it's dealing with it's customers, it deserves to lose all of them

May 25, 2009

roseville mi budget truck.bad service and ripped me off for fuel and 1 day, i should have went back to gastmeiers service like my family has done for years, live and learn.john middorw.

May 25, 2009

go to gastmeiers service and save yourself alot of trouble.

• Cc
      Mar 03, 2010
    Budget Truck Rental - budget treats customers poorly
    Budget
    budget.com

Don't ever rent a truck from Budget - I rented a truck at budget.com and they said I could pick it up at 6am. I arrived at the location at 8am, stood outside in the cold, in the snow, in Harlem, for an HOUR until the location actually opened. When I complained, Budget didn't care. They don't care if they tell women to stand outside in the cold, in a sketchy part of NYC, next to an ABANDONED BUILDING complete with boarded windows, broken glass, and 5 stray cats... I could have been assaulted! Fortunately, I was only cold and angry. Budget Truck Rental does not care about it's customers! Please tell everyone!!!

• Vs
      Jul 24, 2010
    Budget Truck Rental - reservations without product
    Los Angeles
    California

reserved a rental truck. the next day the owner of the place of pick-up decided to call us and say he doesnt have a truck for us to rent, unless we were to return it to his location. We went in person and had no problem reserving it for us (wich we didnt) even though we told him we were going to drop off at a different location. I called budget and they told me that they have seen these things happen. Were the owners can just deny us of renting a truck with no real purpose! what kind of service is this from any of them. Budget should deny this person to have any business with them because they are going to loose many customers this way. Then Budget still said even though we have made a reservation for that day they cannot confirm the truck will be there! what!?!?!?! thats like buying blind! and to top it off I believe someone stole my credit card info from their site! because after that reservation was made the bank called me saying that my credit card was being placed on hold because they suspected someone was trying to make purchases online with that CC! can it get any worse! im going back to Uhaul even though its more $.

• Do
      Apr 23, 2011
    Budget Truck Rental - no truck for us
    New York

BEWARE... We rented a truck from Budget for a move. When we arrived to pick up the truck at 7AM, they stories began. First they stated that they needed to go get the truck from a location down the street. Then they stated that they didn't have that size truck. Then they stated that they had a smaller truck. Then they stated that the smaller truck was brand new and needed to be cleaned. Then they stated that the brand new truck wasn't in the computer system, therefore, they couldn't rent us this truck. And on and on it went. They ended up stringing us along for almost an hour and a half, barely communicating to us even with us trying to pry out information from them. No one would acknowledge that they were the manager when we asked to speak to one. In the end, they finally told us that there was no truck for us to rent even though we had a reservation which was done weeks in advance. They never looked for another truck at another location. In the end, they admitted that this happens all the time and said there is nothing we can do for you. In the contract, if we were to cancel prior to 48 hours we would be charged a 50 dollar cancellation fee. They wouldn't even do the same for us as they obviously cancelled on us. If you are planning on moving anytime soon or know anyone moving anytime soon DO NOT RENT FROM BUDGET!!! Not only was this a HUGE inconvience for us but also for the people we had helping us move. We could only find a truck at another company for 6 hours that day as it was such short notice and it being a Saturday.

Jun 25, 2011
    Budget Truck Rental - cancelled reservation without notice
    Budget truck rental
    Florida

I reserved a truck and tow dolly a month in advance. The day before I was to pick up the truck I received a message that they did not have the tow dolly available. I called back to ensure they still had the truck ready and was informed that they cancelled the whole order! I luckily found another company that had a truck available but I had to pay twice the cost. I find it terrible that if the customer cancels their order less than 48 hours in advance they get charged a significant amount of money, but Budget thinks nothing of cancelling on the custoler less than 24 hours in advance.