Comments

• Er
      17th of Nov, 2008

How did you solve it?

• Ca
      5th of Feb, 2009

I had the same problem with this company. I ordered a year subscription to one magazine for $49.95. When they started sending me magazines that I did not order, I called them to report the problem. They told me that I had ordered several different magazines. I told them that I was not going to pay for them and I reported my credit card stolen. Now, I have a law firm from Colorado harassing me for over $1200. This seemed very strange because according to the information I got from the company, they have only two employees and they are based in Pennsylvania. So, I called the law firm. They told me that even though my balance was over $1200, they would resolve the issue for $650. This issue is not resolved. My credit has been destroyed and at this point, I am just going to have to pay them whatever they want to get them off my back. I got screwed and there isn't anything I can do about it.

• Ss
      7th of Feb, 2009

in response to contonman, the way it works is you subscribe to one magazine, and as part of the package you get 4 free. theoretically, you are not paying for them. unfortunately, the cost of the one magazine you wanted is more than the cost of subscriptions to all the magazines you receive, were you to subscribe to each independently. the company records you agreeing not to cancel, which is a verbal contract, and records you agreeing to pay for the package in advance, the total of which is the 1200 you owe. this comapny has many non-networked offices operating under various names throughout the country, and has far more than 2 employees. unfortunately, i cannot tell you how to fix this problem, but i hope the explanation helps a little bit, or helps other people.

• Pi
      9th of Feb, 2009

i had the same problem. i can't even find a phone number for these people. can you forward that?

• Ni
      13th of Feb, 2009

I found a contact number. It is 725-229-9115. Try it, but I don't know if it works.

• Ka
      3rd of Mar, 2009

I ordered a magazine from this company in SEPTEMBER 2008. By January 2009, I had still not received the magazine. I finally found an email address to contact the company and send a complaint. I demanded either the magazine or a full refund by the end of the month. I did eventually get a reponse, which stated that they had had some "computer problems" which had delayed their orders. It is now March 2009 - no magazine - no refund - to late to file an inquiry with AMEX - the email response has self-deleted from my inbox - and the company has changed its name. Also, I googled the listed address in Columbus, MO and found that numerous other "companies" have had the same suite number in the past few years. STUDENTPURCHASES.COM is DEFINATELY A SCAM!

• Fw
      4th of Mar, 2009

I was also [censored]D by this so called "company", such an excuse of one anyway. I SPICIFICALLY told them to take ONE payment out of my account; as I gave them my debit card number; I SPICIFICALLY told them only ONE payment was to come out of my account; they took numerous payments out of my account, leaveing it over drawn. I was making good money at the time and hadn't noticed that the 39.95 (the price they were charging me) had been coming out of my account; for months. Three or four months into it I realised what was happening and called, I hadn't recived not ONE magazine. I called them letting them know that is NOT was I agreed to, and that they needed to refund the money and cancel my account with them. Not supprisingly they refused to do either one of these things, and just a couple weeks later, magazines started showing up to my house. I contacted the BBB, nothing happened; they have me recorded agreeing to pay the said amount and stateing that it was okay for it to come out of my account. They called my mother's house harrasing her trying to get to me. They are sueing me for 873.19, the remainder of the contract. It is stupid, I have no job; what do they think they are going to get? I am going to contact them and request a copy of the verbal contract, and I recomend that everyone else do the same. They can take me to court, that is fine, I will appear, I will dispute. They are sueing me from PA through a law office in WY and I live in MO, it will cost more in court costs than I owe them.

• Db
      30th of Apr, 2009

has anyone bought the i pod that they are selling? I bought it and I still have not received it

• Al
      11th of May, 2009

aww ### ha i just ordered the ipod. i thought it was weird that they didnt give any shipping information and then when i couldnt find any contact information i thought that was weird too so im trying to cancel my order. have you received it yet dbustama

• Jh
      12th of May, 2009

Student purchases is a scam. I ordered a Nano over 4 weeks ago and still haven't received it. Although they seemed to have time to charge my credit card immediately. They should be reported to the Better Business Bureau. I have emailed them at least 8 times with no reply. The phone number listed above doesn't work.

12th of May, 2009

I ordered an IPOD a couple weeks ago as well. I still haven't received it. Studentpurchases/Opencampusmusic/collegepurchases, whatever you want to call it, it's all the same "business" and it's all a SCAM!

• Bc
      14th of May, 2009

I bought the IPOD Nano from studentpurchases on April 24, 2009 and I haven't received it either. This company is definitely a scam. My credit card was charged immediately as well. I have asked my bank to investigate but I am really interested in studentpurchases merchant account. I would think the studentpurchases account would be easily tracked.

• Bc
      14th of May, 2009

Okay folks, I have an update. I did some digging and the guys who stole our money two brothers operating out of Columbia, MO. It is all found here, http://garwarner.blogspot.com/2009/05/university-spammers-shah-brothers.html

Check into it, they were indicted by the FBI on April 29, 2009. The indictment lays out their multiple companies and they have stolen over $4 million from unsuspecting consumer like us.

• Fo
      14th of May, 2009

I also ordered an ipod nano, on April 26, and have not received anything, heard a response via email, etc. I don't think it will help any, but my credit card company listed a phone number for the company: 800-591-7801. You can leave messages (I haven't gotten any calls back) and there is an option for talking to an operator, which of course kicks you back to leaving a message whenever I've called. Good luck. And good pickup of that article Bcc3, thanks. I didn't see studentpurchases.com specifically listed in the article, but here's some more info linking the Shah Bros to the domain: http://stlouis.bbb.org/article/2741

• Ti
      4th of Jun, 2009

So what do we do? Is there any way to get our money back from these scams? I too bought an iPod on April 22, If they were arrested, why did my credit card get charged and where did the money go?

• Bm
      3rd of Jul, 2009

I ws scammed by them too! How do we get our money back????

• Sh
      1st of Apr, 2010

Hi,

I unfortunately fell for this scam today. I got a sick feeling right after I got off the phone and sure enough, my fears were realized. It is Thursday night and they said the letter containing all of my information to "cancel within 3 days of the receipt" of my letter. What are my options:

1.) do I call and cancel my credit card before it goes through as posted? The transaction is posted as pending, but I apparently agreed not to cancel my card indiscretely?

2.) is my contract length only 3 years? am I done after paying that money? 3 years, $1200?

3.) If i call and cancel my contract, should I legitemately worry about being sued?

PLEASE HELP!