Budget Car Rental / hidden charges

1 Bush IAH, Houston, TX, United States Review updated:

Beware of RSN (Road Safety Net) hidden charges. My wife didn't accept these optional services. We were charged $6.00 / day for this key replacement service that we would have never used. I asked Budget for a refund, they refused saying that we didn't read the fine print in contract saying you would be charged unless you found this hidden charge. I'll never rent from Budget again for taking advantage of my wife (and I). I recommend Dollar, Hertz or National, they do not cram your rental bill.

St

Comments

• Va
      26th of Aug, 2008
    Budget Rental

Was quoted $307 for both truck $ tow dolly over the phone- the reason I went with Budget. Upon pickup I was charged $600 dollars.

Apparently the $307 "estimate" I received upon giving Budget my credit card over the phone didn't include a 150 deposit I wasn't told of, or a $50 unexplained charge (later I was told it would be refunded but I haven't yet received it).

The unexpected cost of the rental overdrew my bank account and I was unable to refill the tank upon return.

I returned the vehicle to the location which could never be reached by phone, not even by their own "customer service", dropped the key off, and still fully expected some form of credit from Budget.

Finally a rude foreign man called me- it was AutoMotriz Montarrey, the people with a tiny fenced in shack under a railroad track in chicago-who don't ever answer their phone. He told me to come refuel the tank or I wouldn't get my $150 deposit back. I explained that this was an outrageous cost for a tank of gas, especially since I rightly feel I was overcharged in the first place- not even Penske charges what I've paid so far to Budget Rental. The foreign man commented that I came from Ohio laughing "This isn't Kansas anymore" and proceeded to hang up on me.

I called and requested a supervisor AGAIN, and got "Paula" who refused to give out her direct line, and had no skill in customer satisfaction but pointed out basically that the location can charge what they want for gas and that $150 sounded about right to her. She refused to report my grievance against the location that laughed and hung up on me, saying "you can only file one complaint and you've already filed one". Then I discovered Paula was not a "supervisor" as she presented herself, but was in a call center somewhere- her words. And then, Paula hung up on me.

I just checked my bank account, still no 50 dollars for being overcharged on insurance. And now, Automotriz Monterray has charged me NINETY more dollars on TOP of pocketing my deposit. I guess I made him mad when I said he was running a scam operation and decided to charge me even more.

Today it cost me atleast $690 dollars to rent a budget truck and so much time, energy, and frustration. Horrible customer service.

• Ri
      3rd of Jun, 2010
    Budget Rental
    Online
    New Jersey
    budgettruck.com

Made reservation online and confirmed next day. When we got to the gas station where the truck was supposed to be located, no truck and owner of gas station said "not again with those (Budget) people". Budgettruck.com then put an unauthorized $50 charge on my debit card. When I called their "customer service" department, I got a female who refused to cancel the $50 fee, and who refused to make a phone call to my son to verify the situation, saying "Customer service doesn't call customers". Yes, I'm serious. When I asked to speak to her supervisor, she hung up. This is the absolute worst truck renting experience I've had, and no question the worst customer service department I have ever dealt with. From now on, I'll stick with Uhaul.

• Fr
      28th of Mar, 2011
    Budget Rent-a-car - This was one of the most incredibly bad customer service experiences I've ever had
    Budget Rent-A-Car

I rented a car, through Priceline, at the Budget Rent-A-Car at the Philadelphia Airport over Thanksgiving. I was renting the car for 3 days and 9 hours and paid for the full 4 days rental as expected. I had the good fortune of my flight coming in almost an hour early and it landed just before 11pm when it was schedule for 11:45pm.

I had specified the pick-up time for the rental to be 12:30am but we got to the rental counter at 11:30pm. The twits at Budget told me that I had to sit there and wait for another hour until my rental start time of 12:30am came up on the clock or I had to pay an additional full day rental of $60+taxes.

There were about 50 cars available in the lot and nobody else waiting to rent a car. Of course Budget has no 24hr customer service and both the manager on duty and the lackey behind the counter refused to do anything about it.

Then when 12:30 rolled around and I finally got the rental, they had the audacity to try to pre-populate the damage waiver and fuel option on the paperwork in an effort to get me to pay more. In summary, I rented a car for 15 hours less than the 4 days I paid for but was made to wait in the rental lobby for an hour, late at night, to wait for the pick-up time to pop up on their clocks.

I forgot to tell you that they tried to upgrade me to a Cadillac and I thought it was a gesture for my troubles then the counter twerp told me it would be another $20 per day. I really got steamed and my wife convinced me to walk outside before I totally freaked out. This was one of the most incredibly bad customer service experiences I’ve ever had.

The whole scenario was patently ridiculous and I will never again rent from such a backwards company with ###ic policies and such abysmal customer service. Corporate responded with a patronizing and ignorant 2 line explanation of policy.

They totally blew me off. I am sending a certified letter to their CEO with the hope that it sparks a response. Budget, you absolutely stink.

• Cc
      8th of Apr, 2011
    Budget Truck Rental
    budgettruck.com

My wife and I were moving in the end of March 2011, I've reserved a truck with Budget two weeks in advanced to make sure we have something to move us. A week goes by and I get a confirmation from Buget "You're Truck is Available!" Great, right. Wrong, the day before the move the rental facility calls me to tell me that there's no truck available for the me! WTF! I call up Budget and inquire as to how a truck that is said to be available for me a week before the move is now not available on the evening of. The rep told me that I cancel it myself and that they were going to charge me an extra $50 for cancellation, what kind of a company tells your one thing and turns around and said something completely different. Budget, if any of your marketing department is reading this, GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ### AND JUST SHUT DOWN! If you are moving stick with Uhaul, reliable, dependable and fair priced.

• Yo
      8th of Apr, 2011

We (I Got Screwed) are helping you spread the word regarding your complaint via our Youtube and Twitter accounts. Hopefully someone from budget will contact you to appropriately address your issues and concerns. If they do, please let us know. Here's the link to a video we did on you behalf: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taEYZes9Rc0&feature=channel_video_title)

• Jb
      16th of Jun, 2012
    Budget Car Rental - Price changing scam
    Will Rodgers Airport
    Oklahoma City
    Oklahoma

My recent rental purchase started out fine, however they didn’t have what I ordered on the lot so the budget rep said she’ll simply move me up to the next level car at no charge. I said great, signed my paperwork and away I went. After two weeks I went to extend my rental and the price for an additional two weeks astonished me. It was nearly double what I had agreed to originally. When I asked about that, he said I upgraded my car. I explained to him that I had no choice and the original rep said it was free. He made some calls and the manager said I signed it, so I’m basically screwed. This to me is unbelievable. Yes I signed it because I trusted what YOUR rep told me. After waiting an hour in line to get my car, I was late, and didn’t have time to read what she had already explained. I also have 3 counterparts who had the same experience this year with budget as well. They basically scam everyone! Bad business, bad people.

• Ju
      19th of Mar, 2013
    Budget Car Rental - Worst Customer Service Ever and Charges, Charges, Charges
    Budget
    Portland airport
    Oregon

I rented a car at the Portland airport so I could attend my grandmother's funeral. I was thrilled that I got a good deal on Priceline at 60% off. My week long rental was only $179. I rent cars at least twice a year for travel and have never had any problems previously. How was I to know that I was about to engage in the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life and be charged and erroneous $476.

One day in NE Portland, I accidentally parked in front of someone's driveway and my rental car was towed. It took me 42 phone calls, two days, and 11 direct hours of dealing with the situation to even talk to someone who was helpful. 80% of all the customer service reps I spoke with were some of the most non-empathetic people I have ever come across. They were rude, sounded annoyed from the start, had wrong information, I was hung up on three times during transfers, and all around unhelpful. Apparently it is Budgets policy that the customer cannot pick up the vehicle if it were towed. Every customer service person I asked (most of them just kept transferring me to the wrong person) could tell me that this was the policy, but no one could tell me where this policy was located or how I could get a copy. I finally found someone who could help me. He calls the manager of the PDX airport Budget and I am granted special permission to go pick up the vehicle from the towing company.

I get back home and the vehicle I rented from Priceline for $179 is now costing me $1000! My debit account, that I used as the security card when picking up the vehicle, has been charge $350, the full cost of the rental. I also just received a bill in the mail for $211 from Budget. Let me break this down. I completely take responsibility for the fact that I parked in front of someone's driveway. I paid $202 for the impound and I have the $90 parking citation to pay. Forget all of the illegal parking fees and I will have paid $476 directly to Budget (this does not include the Priceline rental fee I already paid).

Upon calling Budget customer service again to discuss this issue, I am told that the $350 that I was charged was for the towing fee and that I needed to prove that I paid the fee directly to the towing company. But $350 was the exact amount for a full price (non-Priceline) rental of the vehicle. I am convinced that no one knows what they are talking about. To top it off, the bill I received for the parking ticket states that the violation amount was $181.50. I have the ticket in front of me – It was for $90 and is not past due. Then they have a line item for $30.00 handling fee. Where did the other $91.50 come from??

This company does not have their act together and they are taking it out on the consumer. Not only was I two days without a car I rented, but they are charging me $476 in fees that they appear to have just completely fabricated. I am writing reviews every where I can and making a complaint to the BBB. I have never experienced such bad service in all my life.

• Qu
      13th of May, 2013
    Budget Rental - Unauthorized Charge/Lousy Customer Service

I prepaid for the rental car and the and my bill was covered for the.weekend. so i brought the rental back and some older black lady said she had to swipe my card for security purposes but I told her dont swipe my card and charge me again. So she did it anyway and my card was charged for another 3 days after I checked my account. Deborah, rebecca, and an older black girl were the people WHO poorly gave me customer service @6021 East Sam Houston parkway, Houston, tx 77049.

• He
      11th of Dec, 2013

I noticed this charge as well -- a week after returning the car! The agent did *not* ask me if I wanted this, did not explain it, and the contract does not explain what it is anywhere on the page. Really bad form.

• Li
      20th of Dec, 2015

I noticed this RSN charge as well after a couple of days after arriving home. I called Budget customer service. The supervisor would not give me a refund because is written on the agreement and I signed for it. I specifically told the ladie at the counter when I picked up the car that I didn't want any additional charges and she went ahead and added the RSN anyway. I won't use Budget anymore on my life. Is not good customer service.

• Hu
      6th of Jul, 2016

Avis did the same...$6.99 a dy...Absoulte crimals..Did not sign for it & did not ask for it...I beleive the ### at the counter is being reimbursed by the ### at corporate for all the extra garbage they can push on tired/traveling people...Absolute ### from top to bottom period!!! all criminals from top to bottom.Beware of ###!!!

• Bu
    Budget - Price
    Budget rental car
    Fort Myers
    Florida

I call budget to see about returning the car a day early. The lady on the phone quoted me a new rate higher than the one i had! I said how is that possible. She said i am bound by contract to keep the days exact or the readjust my rate to the current rate. Totally crazy. I have never had this happen with any other car rental company. Don't rent from budget, they are the worst!

• Al
    Budget Truck Rentals - unsafe truck horrible customer service
    Budget
    Seattle
    Washington

Reserved truck week in advance. Picked up in horrible rain downpour, get to me house open up back to load and raining inside truck, huge hole in ceiling. Call them, oh yeah they didn't mention that to you? So they knew and let us drive away. They had no other trucks, had to do our move, no choice. Had lift gate that we needed for items weighing 400 lbs ea. get to place we are unloading and lift gate doesn't work. My stuff is sitting hostage in the leaking truck. Call them again, they say "we aren't mechanics - why are you calling us?" Call roadside service, 3 hours later they show, said truck should have never been rented, was unsafe to drive, battery cover missing, melted wires and electrical parts jerry rigged with staples. We had to use a makeshift ramp to unload our stuff, not fun and required getting extra help. Budget customer service couldn't have cared less. Still expected me to pay. I disputed credit card charges with my bank, budget responded saying rude sarcastic comments about me and refused refund. Bank reversed charges during dispute and then Budget turned me to collections. Didn't even finish the dispute process. They can KMA, I will not pay a dime and willing to risk my 839 credit score to stand my ground. More than happy to see them in court. Worst company ever, do yourself a favor and stay clear. Incredible business model, no apologies from any of the 5 different people I talked to and then to be rude on top of it. From reading all the other reviews sounds like it's a nationwide policy to rent unsafe vehicles, screw everyone over and sit back and smile about it.

• Rt
    Budget Truck Rentals Inc - Irresponsible
    Budget Truck Rentals Inc

I rented a 16-ft truck from Budget with unlimited mileage plan. Two days before pick-up, Budget called me and confirmed that the truck was ready. Two nights before pick-up, I tried to cancel the truck and was told that no cancellation within 48 hours. All right then, I would just stick with my original schedule.

The pick-up time was 10am on Sunday. At around 9am, Budget called me and told me that the truck was no longer available because someone has not returned the truck. And at that moment, I was only 5 minutes away from the pick-up location. So Budget can cancel my rental one hour before pick-up while I couldn't cancel it 30 hours ago. The customer service told me that they can't find another truck for me because they don't have inventory system. WOW, so how would they manage their rental cars? The customer service told me to contact the nearby local stores to see if they have, and the local store agents told me to contact the customer service as it has to be done from the customer service. Two hours on the phone, the customer service found an allied rental store has 24-ft and 12-ft truck, but not 16-ft, and this store is 40 minutes away. I already hired two guys for what I planned to do today. Even for 40 minutes (80 minutes back and forth), i still had to go get it. And the only choice was 12-ft because the local store confirmed there was only 12-ft. So how did the customer service see the 24-ft truck?
    Once I arrived at the local store, i was told that it was a local truck, which means mileage is not unlimited, plus I had to return it at the same place. My original plan was one-way trip. Now I had to come back to the same location to return. Three times mileage, three times of driving time, and three times of gas.

I didn't get the truck on the road until 1pm, while I was supposed to have it by 10am. 3 hours delayed. when i got to my destination, it was already 11pm. When i started unloading, the neighbor complained for too much noise. Two cops came over and told me to stop and do it tomorrow. They warned me that if they got the complain again, a ticket of $500 would be issued. Now with half stuff still on the truck, the truck cannot be returned, and I can't the next day off. Then I unloaded my stuff at a friend's place. After I got back home, it was 6am already. Time for work.
    Unprofessional, irresponsible, ... can't think of any other words at this moment.

Budget, go to hell, piece of crap.

Budget Truck Rental - Truck not available at specified location
    Budget Truck Rental
    4612 Jonestown Road
    Harrisburg
    Pennsylvania
    Phone: 717 545-2590

Truck was to be picked up on August 12 2011. We were called the day before in the late afternoon to let us know that the truck we rented would not be available at the Harrisburg location where it was supposed to be picked up from but would be available at their Lebanon location. There is nothing like a 45 minute to a 1 hour drive when the specified location was 5 minutes from our home. They said there was nothing they could do about it. I would think about spending the few extra dollars to rent from a more reputable company. This is one company that truly doesn't care if you get your move accomplished or not. I wish I would have checked out a website like this before I ever called them!!!

• Ri
      1st of Aug, 2016
    Budget Rental Car Liberia - Overcharging failure to open, terrible customer service
    Budget Rent a Car
    Liberia International Airport

This company overcharges you on your credit card. I had a 6:30 flight at Liberia airport and went to return the car. There was no one there to receive the car offsite or at their Kiosk in the airport. They have taken 30 days to answer any questions. They want to charge me $350 for a used beat up garmin that costs about $69.00 ...Do not do business with this company they will rip you off.

• Em
    Budget Rental Truck - customer service

I rented a 24 foot tuck from Budget Rental. First, they did not have my truck or trailer when I arrived. The "dealer" was even confused. I was told I had to call customer service. I was told by the customer service person that "when I made a reservation it did not gaurantee the equipment". What? Now, I had to call a few people to explain that I was not moving. People were rearranging schedules. The snotty rep told me that he would give a whopping 42 dollars off my bill.I sat in the office for four hours to get a truck that went 39 miles an hour that I had to return. The next day at 1:30 I was loading the truck, unkowingly being charged for a dolly that I never had. I drove a truck that had no shocks and the gas gauge did not work. When I arrived to Kansas, the guy told me that he understood and unfotunately their was nothing he could
    do about any refunds because it had to be done when I rented the truck. This was the most horrible moving experience I have ever had. People complain about U-Haul, but they'll seem like a dream compared to this.
    I will keep writing all the people I can to make the public aware of this scamming company. They don't feel the need to be accountable for the horrible ways they treat customers. Next stop...

• Tr
    Budget Truck - consumers are idiots

Consumers are IDIOTS!!! you MUST read the terms and conditions when you make a reservation online!!! and if you didnt make the reservation online read the contract that you are signing. If you are one of these idiots complaining about your billing or your truck rental you didnt read your contract or the terms and conditions online.. DUMB ### you got what you deserved.

• Pi
    Budget Truck - Miscomunication
    Budget truck
    Arizona

I only got budget truck because it was the only truck rental site that had 10ft truck in my area. (which turned out to be false) they later called me a day later to tell me the truck i reserved was unavailable and that they only had 15ft trucks, but I would pay the same price ($515). That was the only good part. So I pick up the truck and some woman who knows not much about the trucks shows me the truck and gives me the keys. I had to ask her how to open the back and if there was anything that I should know. Because I never drove one of these trucks before. I drove that truck from Louisiana to California with no prior knowledge of how to use anything on the dashboard or what any of the buttons did..lol. But anyways she told me that I could drop the truck off at any location and if it was closed that I could just leave the truck there and put the keys in the drop box. I drove to cali hated it, drove back to Arizona and decided to stay. So I called the location the day the truck was due to see what time they closed and if I could just drop the truck off. They closed at 5pm. The woman who took the call was very defensive when I tried to tell her what I was told about dropping the truck off. She said they dont do that and that I would have to bring it in tomorrow because it was past 5pm and I would have to pay an extra day. So the next day I return the truck filled with gas ($400 worth of gas later in 7 days) And they tell me that I went over 200 miles (I believe that) and that I kept it for another day (like it was by choice) plus taxes that adds up to $299.45. So in all I spent over $800.. I hate them so much... where is a number to complain?

• Wm
      1st of Aug, 2016

I rented a truck from budget, for 5/3/11 pick up date.at 10am, I arrived early, The place was a dirty little hole in the wall, when i went in the office with my wife, It was as dirty as the out side, Two young people sat in their chairs, one young man did not even look up, he was texting, and the young lady ask me what i want, I said i am here to pick up a truck and tow dolly, She said the tow dolly was not their yet, So she could not write it up, I told her to call me when it come in, I live with in 5 miles, I would come back, I waited two hours, no call, so i called her, Sorry no tow dolly yet.I waited another hour, At this point i called budget and canceled, I paid two workers, who where to help me move and i was man as hell, Then the young lady from the rental place called four hours later and said the tow dolly had arrived, sorry i told her, I canceled.And i will never rent a budget truck, are car again, ever. even though Ryder is more, And the drop off point is farther away up where i am moving.I would never give my lic. and credit card to a place that looked like a pig pin.The address was: "7506 clybourn, sun valley, ca.91352"Budget C.E.O.'s bosses need to take a hard look at where they are putting their rental lots, I for one will never rent from Budget and will tell my friends the same.
    Bill from burbank