Budget Car Rental / budget is a huge ripoff!

Watch out for Budget. I filled the car with a full tank of gas (7 gallons) before I returned it. The guy checked the tank and said it was fine and printed me out a receipt.

Three days later I got a bill for $64.70. They said they had to put in 10 gallons of gas (yikes! I paid $2.19 for the gas I put in). I called customer service. They said that unless I had a printed receipt the best they could do is credit me half. I said that I had a credit card statement showing the 7 gallon purchase 3 miles from the airport 5 minutes before I returned the car. Not good enough. This is a rip off of class action status. Think about it. Millions of customers all ripped off and then credited half. It’s worth millions to them. Any attorneys out there? I’m in.

Va

Comments

• Va
      3rd of Jan, 2007

The Nashua office of Budget Rent a Car, owned by Gary Cooper, and managed by Mark Yancui is one of the most unprofessional car rental offices I have ever encountered.

On the 6th day of the rental, the car would not start. We called the office and were told that we would have to wait for the repairman to come in the afternoon. We finally got the car running but to be safe, we drove by and traded the car. The second car we were given was had a smoke smell that would not go away. When we returned the car we were told by Mike Ferris that we had rented the car with 50mile per day limit and so we were well over miles. We said that was not what we had agreed to and he said because it was the holidays that we would have to call back in a few days; but that they would handle it on Tuesday. We were not given a bill or a total breakdown of costs and we specifically asked if they would charge the credit card and were told a definitive no.

On Tuesday morning we called the office and Mark Yancui the manager of the office answered the phone and told us that we had been charged 600 dollars and there was nothing he could do for us; he was not interested in discussing any of the issues with us. He gave us a customer service number who told us that the Nashua office was a franchise, independently operated and we would need to deal with the office directly. After two phone calls and a visit to try to review the bill and determine what options we had, we were treated incredibly rudely by Mark, who has a condescending and unprofessional attitude.

As someone who rents cars often, I will never return again to budget and I would recommend that people stay away from the Nashua office on East Hollis street as they are clearly not in the business of servicing their customers.

9th of Jan, 2007

I want you to know that Budget Rental Car is ripping me off. We returned the rental car from our 12/23 -12/31 rental to them with a full tank of gas and we just received a bill in the mail today charging us $111.98 for 17 gallons of gas in a Chrysler Sebring.

We called Budget and are in the process of disputing the charges, which is requiring us to get copies of the actual gas receipts from the day we filled the car (which is taking time in and of itself - thankfully Discover card is assisting us in this process) and will be able to prove we filled the car up. If we didn't go through this process, we could only get 1/2 of the charge refunded (as occurred with others on this site). I am stunned and amazed that Budget is able to basically rob me blind of $122 in the meantime. It is physically impossible with the amount of miles that we drove that Budget could have put 17 gallons into that car, outside of the fact that we all knew it was full when it was returned. How is this legal? I am convinced that this is a fraudulent scam aimed at making people prove that they had a full tank of gas, hoping that they won't bother with the hassle of coming up with receipts weeks later and just eat this charge. I will never, ever rent a car from Budget again.

30th of Jan, 2007

I will admit I've had my share of problems with all car rental companies, however I have to give Kudos to the Budget Rent-A-Car at the Cleveland Hopkins Airport. Some companies are just now offering how you can select which type of vehicle you want, when Budget has done it for me for a year (when they had them!). The price was right, and I even got a discount from them for renting from them more than once. And I really appreciated that. Thanks Budget!

• Eu
      18th of Mar, 2007

We rented a car at the budget toronto airport from16th of March till 18th of March. And the day we picked up our car, there's a women and she wanted us to pay for cash for one day coverage and one day baby car seat. but, it was 2days rented..but, we were too tired and just paid it for cash. It was around 35$ and she gave me a paper with a signature..not a real receipt. But, we were too tired and thought we can pay it later when we pick it off. But, when we came back there's another guy at the buget in toronto airport.

He was the manager and keep saying that they don't take cash at the front desk. But, obviously she did. And we had to pay 2days coverage and 2days car seat and gas. with all the taxes , we paid 144 dollar. We double paid for one night coverage and one night car seat!! We had to wait there with a baby over 30mins and tried to explain that we paid cash and showed them the paper that she gave me.

But, they're not trying to contact her..saying it 's too early to call her..blah blah..so, we had to pay it cuz we had to leave in 30mins to take an airplane..I really want them to check fast with the women that night around 1 :00am and give my money back. They're keep saying that it's not the policy to take cash there but, she did. I'm so angry for budget Toronto airport one..and thinking about suing them..all the inconvenience that they caused and stresses..they should make it organize better for what they're doing! How can an employer doesn't know what the employees going? That's ridiculous..And I'm not going to use budge ever again! They should call me back after they check with that women! They got my phone number but, didn't call me back yet!

• Ka
      27th of Dec, 2007

I rented a car from Budget Car Rental for 2 days and returned the car with a full tank of gas. However, a week later I recieved a bill for $70.44 for refueling cost but the car listed on this invoice was completely different from the car I rented (listed was a black ford mustang and I had a white chevy cobalt!!) They will only reverse the charges if I come up with a printed receipt for the gas~ even though I have my American Express Bill for a Exxon Mobil gas charge the day I returned the car!! I think this is a scam Budget is making alot of money on. Budget should be sued!!!

• Wa
      8th of Feb, 2008

Budget is a ripoff. I rented a car at Norfolk Airport. My plans then changed and I wanted to return it at Raleigh Durham 120 miles away. I was told there was a $640. drop off fee to Raleigh Durham. I have never paid more than $50. to drop off at a different location. DON'T RENT FROM BUDGET.

• Re
      28th of Feb, 2008

I rented from Budget in St. John's Newfoundland. They ripped me off for $400.00 . I wanted to give my Credit card a break and decided to pay some of the amount with my debit card. I put $400.00 down on it. When I checked my Mastercard statement on line, I was taken back by the fact that they had taken the full amount of the bill plus they still had my $400.00. It has been a week now and I still don't have it back. If there are any Brother Masons and Shryners out there please be aware of this Compnay. They do not run a fare and honest business. I for one will never rent from them again. If you have any questions about this statement please e-mail me.

• Ly
      17th of Apr, 2008

I work for a car rental company and one thing i have noticed is customers NEVER seem to read the terms and conditions on the rental contract or NEVER read posted signs telling them where to return there car and the hours of bussiness operations there of. Yet they turn around and say they are where not aware of this or that charge on there bill. Another thing I notice is many customers decline the coverage and NEVER inspect there vehicles and yet they have the nerve to dispute the damage we find on there vehicle. The overall ATTITUDE I get from customers is "I want my rental car to cost me next to nothing and I'm not responsible if its damaged". How can a rental car company stay in bussiness with THIS going on? You hear customers say they will just go to another company if you charge them for damage THEY might have done just because they failed to look the car over before leaving. This is just SO petty. I feel sorry for the next rental car company that offers to take there bussiness.

• Cr
      17th of Jun, 2008

I have been standing inline in Philly for 45 minutes - 1 slow clerk - what kind of outfit are you running

18th of Oct, 2012

I booked a PACKAGE through Alaska Airlines for airfare choosing car rental from Budget in the package(PKG Conf #XL7500CB). We were traveling with friends, only carry-on luggage. We decided that a Compact Car was adequate for our needs. When we got to Kona HI the "nice" counterperson insisted 4 adults + carryon bags would not fit in a Nissan Versa Htchbk. Aft much debate & a growing line we tried to go up a class and were told all they had avail was SUV or Lux Lincoln which he'd give to us at price of SUV as our friend was ret'd military. Aft much back & forth to car/building & disagreeable discussion we ended up paying "only" an EXTRA $45/day + taxes (totaling $509.55 OVER what we prepaid in flight/car pkg!). The guy knew we weren't happy yet did nothing to suggest alternative, reminding us it was the wk before the IRON MAN TRIATHALON so nothing more avail (altho there were many cars on the lot) and told us we should have ordered a bigger car with the pkg. Trust me the Versa would have been fine for us but he wouldn't give it to us. We signed the agreement to get out of there & let others get their cars but we were definitely coerced into not only a bigger car, but a LUXURY vehicle. I feel they were trying to take advantage of the special event to rip us off. I want Alaska Air to know that with this type of business dealings, they should consider whether it's wise to partner with Budget. I WON'T be purchasing packages any more thru the airline as it seems to have burned us in this circumstance!

• To
      18th of Aug, 2013

I rented a car from budget in Sterling, VA for 3 days. I decided to return the car in 2 days. So, I filled up the tank the same way I got it and return the car. After the inspection, the guy who check me out tells me that the gas tank is not full. I looked at the fuel gauge and it was on full. I told him that it is on full and he told me that no it is not. I showed to him that it is on the full and he keep saying that is not. He was trying to fool me so he can get more money out of me. At the end after a lot of yelling and screaming he agreed not to charge me. This was such a unprofessional customer service that I have ever seen. He was very rude and I had to raise my voice on him. Several times I felt like he is going to attack me. Be very careful when you go to that location. They are bunch of crooks. It is located in the Sears auto center in Sterling, VA. I will never go there again.

• My
      5th of Mar, 2015

I was estimated one price and charged another based on a mistake a employee or company has made. When I received the bmw and accepted the price was 318 dollars, I accepted that rate not a rate of 168 dollars a day. If there was to be a rate increase I should have been notified at the time of accepting the vehicle not afterward. I have my E receipt were it states returned and the price of 318.73..Once I called and complained about it they changed the receipt in their system. ... rip off I need a attorney