BSR Enterprises Legal (Toronto, Canada) / Be very Careful from this Paralegal Professional

1 720 Spadina Ave, Suite # 307Toronto, Ontario, Canada Review updated:
Phone: (416) 410-5680

I hired Mr. Rupen Balaram (paralegal) of BSR Enterprises Legal in Aug 2008 to fight for my rights to claim damages done to my property by a delivery truck driver.

I only wanted to get what I had to pay but Mr. Rupen Balaram misled by telling me that he will get double of what I want to claim. He promised me not to change me until he receives payment from the defendant.

Then Mr. Rupen Balaram talked me into paying him hundred's of $'s and gave me in writing that he will deduct this amount when he receives payment from the defendant.

Finally, I agreed to in court (6 February 2009) settlement and got 33% of what Mr. Rupen Balaram had told me that we will get. Anyway, Mr. Rupen Balaram received the money in trust and today is 10 May 2009 and I have not seen a penny.

Mr. Rupen Balaram does not give me written commitment, does not return my emails or phone calls, he has not even given me the copy of the settlement reached on 6 February 2009.

Mr. Rupen Balaram does not care about if complain to Law Society of Upper Canada and says "the society has it's problems do what you want, you will not paid and the case will take 1 year"

Mr. Rupen Balaram congratulations you have done well, what a journey. From "Tamil refugee to Canada" to a "Disgrace to the Canadian Paralegal community".

Comments

• Le
      9th of Oct, 2009

It's exactly the same he did

13th of Oct, 2009

Thank you Leonie123.

Just an update.

As a result of complaint and hopefully other's like your complaint. Law Society of Upper Canada have suspended Mr. Balaram's Paraligal status and the disapilaniry hearing are pending.

Mr. Balaram also failed to show up at the setellement conference at the Toronto Small Claims courts and the judge orders for a full hearing.

8th of Jan, 2010

He too started a small claim court procedure for us but after 4 months he refused to return phone calls or let us know the status of our case. He was recommended by a family member who also hired him with a strong case but he after a year no calls returned to him.

I will keep you updated if I proceed to file a complaint against him.

9th of Jan, 2010

Update:

He again did not show up for the 2nd settlement conf. at the court in November 09 and now there is a 3rd settlement conf. in April 2010. If anyone wants show up at the Toronto Small claims court please let me know.

Also, Law society of Upper Canada has now indefinitely suspended Mr. Balaram's Status as Paralegal and it was apparently just from my complaint.

Mr. Balaram this time you have barked up the wrong tree. I promised you what I will do to expose you and fight for my right so you can’t victimize anyone.

• Ms
      31st of Jan, 2010

Dear Asif,
    I want you to know that I sympathize with you. I had the same experience as you. I wish that we could get our money back from Balaram the crook. Upper Canada will hear from me. Balaram the crook was very friendly, he made me trust him. He took hundreds of dollars from me and then left me hanging. He does not return any of my calls. He is operating under a suspended license. I work very hard for my money. I felt so ashamed of myself. He must be having a good laugh. He has made me feel so small. I was being laughed at because of the CROOK I hate him with a scorn. I would like to spit in his face next time I see him. Such a heartless person Balaram the crook is. I wish some one would pluck his eyes out so that he can never see again to rob another human being.I was also recommend by a family member. He has all these religious pictures in his office pretending he believes in God. I hope he never gets another client in his life. I do not want anyone to go through what I went through.
    I would like to talk to you one-on-one Asif. Can you please leave me your e-mail address?

-Ms.Frustrated

12th of Apr, 2010

3rd settlement conf. in April 2010 came and went. Mr. Balaram never showed up and decision was made in my favor by the judge. Assessment judge will now decide how much I can collect. Well, now I will have collection agencies go after him and put lien on anything he owns.

24th of May, 2010

On May21 someone tried to hack into my account on ComplaintsBoard.com.

They requested my login name and passsword.

• Ca
      28th of Jun, 2010

That's pretty sad to know that we are being ripped off by people we hire to protect us.
    I'll spread the word on this company and individual to the Sri Lanka community.

6th of Aug, 2010

Rupen Balaram-Sivaram (2008), of the City of Toronto, was found to have engaged in professional misconduct for breaching Rule 9.01(1) of the Paralegal Rules of Conduct in failing to respond to communications from the Law Society and failing to cooperate with an investigation of the Law Society in respect of three different complaints made against him as set out in the Amended Notice of Application filed October 14, 2009.

By Decision and Order dated October 30, 2009, the Hearing Panel ordered as follows:

1.The Paralegal is suspended for two (2) months, commencing immediately and continuing indefinitely thereafter until the following conditions are met, to the satisfaction of the Director of Professional Regulation:
    a.The Paralegal has provided a complete response to the complaints of D.J. and C.T., as requested by telephone call on February 9, 2009, in letters dated March 25, 2009 and April 15, 2009 and an email dated June 2, 2009.
    b.The Paralegal has cooperated with the Law Society investigation into the complaints of D.J. and C.T. by attending for an interview as requested in letters dated March 25, 2009 and April 15, 2009 and an email dated June 2, 2009.
    c.The Paralegal has provided a complete response to the complaint of The W.M. Ltd., as requested in telephone messages left May 5, 2009, May 12, 2009, May 26, 2009, and July 29, 2009, an email sent May 12, 2009, and letters dated June 17, 2009, July 3, 2009, and July 23, 2009.
    d.The Paralegal has provided a complete response to the complaint of M.M., as requested in letters dated June 17, 2009, July 3, 2009, July 23, 2009 and a telephone message left July 29, 2009.
    2.The Paralegal shall comply fully with the terms of the Law Society's Guidelines for Paralegals who are Suspended or who have Given an Undertaking Not to Provide Legal Services, while suspended pursuant to this Order.
    3.The Paralegal shall pay costs to the Law Society in the amount of $3000 within six (6) months of the date of his return to providing legal services, failing which interest will accrue at a rate of 2% per annum thereafter.
    (Counsel for the Society, Naomi Bussin / the Paralegal was not present and not represented)

12th of Aug, 2010

Thursday, August 12, 2010 at 8:50 am, I saw Mr. Balaram near JCC (Bloor and Spadina), he was walking with two other people (probably clients, his next victims). I called "Rouben" All three looked at me, he told them to keep walking and he walked towards me. I shouted to the people "Are you his clients, please check the Law Society record on him", they kept walking but lookig at me. By then he was near me and said "What's your problem", I said " You owe me money", He said "yes, so". I told him there is an Assessment hearing next week, he said " I am not coming". So I told him "Don't forget me, I will come to you once I have the assessment" and walked away from this sleaze bag.

I just hope his clients got the message and don't become his victims.

13th of Jan, 2011

Finally, yesterday I had my day in the court. After almost two years, Mr. Balaram not appearing in three Settlement conferences, one Assessment hearing and one Notice of Examination hearing he showed up at the court fearing a jail sentence if he did not appear in the court this time.
    When the judge saw through him and did not accept his request….. He came to me and offered to pay all the amount court has awarded me in installments. Well, this was a long way from him saying things like “Do what you have to, you will not get your money”, “Go to hell” and “I will not come to the court”.
    Now he will pay the Court and the court will pay me. He can drag this but the Judge said if he does not pay we will be back in the court.
    Let me tell you I will not give up until he has paid all the money. By the way he is now agreed in the court to pay me almost double amount with court fees and etc. of what he owed me.
    What a shame: he could have paid me and I would have recommend him to others but no, he decide to kill the hen to get all the golden eggs in one go 
    Please check his status on the Law society of Upper Canada website. The current status shows “Suspended” (13 January 2011). There is another Proceeding coming in April 2011 at the Law Society for MR. Balaram, If you have any complaints against him please, please get in touch with the law society (1-800-268-7568).

Conduct Proceeding: 30-Oct-2009
    Rupen Balaram-Sivaram was found to have engaged in professional misconduct for: breaching Rule 9.01(1) of the Paralegal Rules of Conduct in failing to respond to communications from the Law Society and failing to cooperate with an investigation of the Law Society in respect of three different complaints made against him as set out in the Amended Notice of Application filed October 14, 2009. By Decision and Order dated October 30, 2009, the Hearing Panel ordered that: 1) The Paralegal is suspended for two (2) months, commencing immediately and continuing indefinitely thereafter until the following conditions are met, to the satisfaction of the Director of Professional Regulation: a) The Paralegal has provided a complete response to the complaints of specific individuals, as requested by telephone call on February 9, 2009, in letters dated March 25, 2009 and April 15, 2009 and an email dated June 2, 2009. b)The Paralegal has cooperated with the Law Society investigation into the complaints of specified individuals by attending for an interview as requested in letters dated March 25, 2009 and April 15, 2009 and an email dated June 2, 2009. c) The Paralegal has provided a complete response a complaint, as requested in telephone messages left May 5, 2009, May 12, 2009, May 26, 2009, and July 29, 2009, an email sent May 12, 2009, and letters dated June 17, 2009, July 3, 2009, and July 23, 2009. d) The Paralegal has provided a complete response a complaint, as requested in letters dated June 17, 2009, July 3, 2009, July 23, 2009 and a telephone message left July 29, 2009. 2) The Paralegal shall comply fully with the terms of the Law Society's Guidelines for Paralegals who are Suspended or who have Given an Undertaking Not to Provide Legal Services, while suspended pursuant to this Order 3) The Paralegal shall pay costs to the Law Society in the amount of $3000 within six (6) months of the date of his return to providing legal services, failing which interest will accrue at a rate of 2% per annum thereafter.

• Le
      30th of Jul, 2011

Hi all,

I was a close friend of Rupen and just for you to know. His license to represent is revoked and now he is calling up people, actually telemarketing for duct cleaning services regardless of DNC numbers.
    And then goes to the people's houses and does the job, God knows what he does there but comes out with big upsell amounts.

Recenlty he put some lady's number on his dialer and kept on calling her non stop day and night untill she had to change her number. That woman had a son suffering from cancer, and this cruel Tamil refugee had no mercy.

Another of his evil acts involve in damaging a customer's property and fleeing from site. The customer did take his truck registration and has apparently gone to court. I wish there was any body who could bring him to justice, i have a few of his recordings and emails confirming both these cases and many more of the illegal things he is doing there.
    Another thing about the Moris Stein legal agents inc, there is no body by that name, Rupen receives the call with a variation in his voice.

• Ve
      1st of Aug, 2011

Fresh Air Duct Cleaning Services just called me and said they were a division of BSR Enterprises where Mr Balarm is the 'lawyer' according to the agent James Michael. They called and we are on the DNC list and I was told that 'Mr Balarm does not care and is a rich lawyer who can do what he wants.' After much debate with the agent...he wouldn't let up...he began swearing at me telling me to [censored] Off repeatedly.

I registered a complaint at the DNC website with bothe Mr James Michael's name and that of Mr Balarm as well...

I hope they can do something about it...

• Wo
      11th of May, 2012

Known as: Rupen Balaram- Lives in Toronto, Ontario. (He is in the suburb of Scarborough)

Full Legal Name: Rupen Balaram Sivaram

Be Very Careful with this Person- He is a First Class CON ARTIST- you will Get HURT! Very Charming, Highly intelligent, Very good communicator. Yes, he can sell ice to an eskimo. He is the DEVIL in disguise. If he has the Opportunity to take advantage of you, He Will! If you Trust him or become his Friend, you will be making a Big Mistake.

Things you should know:

1) He speaks at least 3 languages fluently: English, French, and Tamil. He is also very good with Accents and can change the tone of his Voice- be Careful.

2)He is a Tamil Tiger- This is a Terrorist Organization, make no mistake about it. He is a Fierce Srilankan Tamil Patriot. How far would he go for his cause- you would not want to find out. He is Anti- USA, Great Britain and other Western Countries. He passionately supports all Terrorist Organizations. Why did they ever let this guy enter Canada is a total mistery to me.

3)He owns and his president of B.S.R. Financial Enterprises. He does third party collections, and will viciously call you until he gets the money. He will call at Any Time- even if this outside of the times that he can legally call. He will also try to impersonate a family member, friend, or employer to obtain information.

4)He also owns and his president of Morris A. Stein Legal Services. He is the Only employee. That company has been reprimanded by the Law Society of Upper Canada (Ontario.) Rupen's licence as a Paralegal was revoked in April of 2011. You do business with him you are asking for problems.

5)Yes, he is associated if not the owner of a Air Duct Cleaning company. You do business with him at your own Peril.

This is a Very Nasty and Immoral individual. Yes, he can be the Nicest person and is Very Smooth. Yes, I have been taken advantage of. You have Been Warned !!!

• Gr
      5th of Nov, 2018

Toronto judge considering case of man accused of advocating genocide, promoting hate online
    By BETSY POWELLCourts Reporter
    Mon., Nov. 5, 2018
    A Toronto judge has reserved his decision in the case of a former paralegal accused of advocating genocide and promoting hatred in email and on the internet, including an open Twitter account.

Rupen Balaram-Sivaram has pleaded not guilty to 10 charges, including the rare charge of advocating genocide. The charges stem in part from a series of hateful social media posts and emails he allegedly sent to public figures and media organizations that call for death to Jews, homosexuals, Westerners and Christians.

Rupen Balaram-Sivaram has pleaded not guilty to 10 charges, including the rare charge of advocating genocide. (SUPPLIED PHOTO)
    He testified this past summer he did not create the social media accounts, including some under his own name, and denies putting out any information to the public to incite hatred.

Last week in court, defence lawyer Jason Rabinovitch reiterated his client’s position that he did not commit any of the alleged offences. Alternatively, Rabinovitch told Superior Court Justice Michael Brown if he rejects Balaram-Sivaram’s testimony and finds he is behind the emails and social media postings, he should consider them “personal opinions” that are a reaction to news events.

The postings in evidence are simply people having discussions in an open forum, as distasteful and disturbing as that may be, he said in court. In Canada, people are allowed to express contrary opinions, Rabinovitch said during final arguments.

“He can hate the Jewish people, ” Crown attorney Kim Motyl said in reply. But his comments take a “great leap” from engaging in political discourse to actively encouraging others to carry out violent acts.

In her written submissions, Motyl wrote that Balaram-Sivaram’s “entire social media footprint is riddled with evidence of his belief that those of Jewish descent and homosexuals should be exterminated. Further, his hard devices — his computer, two USB drives and his cellphone are likewise full of such sentiment.”

The prosecution cited several examples of how Balaram-Sivaram allegedly committed the offence of advocating or promoting genocide in emails sent to public officials and media outlets.

One 2014 email attributed to Balaram-Sivaram contained the suggestion that “bombs, viruses and cyber warfare” are the “best punishment” to be delivered across America, Britain and Canada.

Balaram-Sivaram sent the email to “a number of individuals in power nationally and internationally who would have the practical ability to execute a campaign of genocide, ” the prosecutor wrote.

On Twitter in January 2015, a user named Rupen Balaramsivaram — without the hyphen — tweeted: “The more Jews/Zionists & their Western allies are hurt, killed, the better. Death to Americans, British, Canadians and Jews.” Another tweet said: “Many more Jews to Be Exterminated Along with Useless Christians.”

Motyl called such examples “clear, concise calls to action.”

The Twitter account in his name had a handful of followers. But as the Supreme Court has noted, “when one posts to the internet, one loses the ability to control where the information goes, ” she wrote. “There are millions of users who could access that information. Further … the statements were made, not in the context of a private communication but rather, in the context of an open Twitter account, accessible (to) nearly a billion users.”

The use of the internet to spew vitriol and fearmonger by men charged with violent crimes has been the subject of much attention recently. The Pittsburgh man accused of shooting 11 Jews to death in a synagogue and the Floridian who attempted to bomb critics of U.S. President Donald Trump both reportedly vented online before allegedly committing their crimes.

There’s no evidence Balaram-Sivaram carried out any violent acts beyond promoting what the prosecution called “his hateful views to the world.”

Balaram-Sivaram — who had his paralegal licence revoked in 2011 — is also charged with criminal harassment, uttering threats and impersonation relating to his ex-wife and her current partner.

The Crown alleges that over nine years Balaram-Sivaram, angered by his estranged wife’s new relationship, made harassing phone calls and threats to her and her new boyfriend, in addition to sending hateful emails under his name.

“Mr. Balaram-Sivaram used these emails to send diatribes of his own, long-held hateful beliefs to members of identifiable groups, member of government, media outlets and others knowing that their transmission was illegal and would cause discord” for his ex-wife’s new partner, the prosecution wrote in a factum filed with the court. “Thus, he could disseminate his own views, and blame a rival for their dissemination.”

The Crown cited several examples: In July 2014, the Green Party of Canada reported receiving threatening emails containing hateful messages and imagery signed by his estranged wife’s partner’s name, with a spelling error. The prosecution alleges Balaram-Sivaram wrote and sent the messages, which he denies.

Brown said he would deliver his verdict in January.