Brookstone / unfair returns policy!

1 Fairfax, VA, United States Review updated:

Received a Brookstone Mini Charging Valet for Xmas. The item did not meet my needs so I decided to return it. The nearest Brookstone is about 45 minutes from my home so I made a special trip in order to make the return. I was outside the 30 day return period by a few days but figured they would make the return since I would be receiving store credit, not a refund. I presented the gift receipt and the unopened/unused item to the cashier and asked if I could return the item for store credit, acknowledging that I was outside of the 30 day time frame. Before the cashier could respond, the manager stepped in and told the cashier not to do the return, telling him he would "get in trouble" for processing it. When I attempted to explain my situation (live far away, can't use the item, just want to select another item from your store) I got the typical "policy handed down from corporate" line and was told that I'll "have to give it as a gift to someone else." Instead of making a potential customer happy and maybe gaining sales (I could have selected a more expensive item to use a store credit towards), Brookstone has ensured that I will never set foot inside one of their stores again.

Ti

Comments

• Gi
      10th of Feb, 2009

I agree completely! Brookstone's return policy is horrendous and their store managers are rude and don't care about good customer service. They all have egos that will drive all loyal customers away, FOREVER!

STAY AWAY! Their stuff breaks and they do not stand behind their products. PLUS it sounds like they're going out of business soon, so double reason to stay away!!!

• La
      18th of Feb, 2009

So you wanted her to break the rules and potentially lose her job for...you? Someone who didn't follow the rules himself? Just because you want to break the rules, don't assume someone is willing to risk their job to "make you happy".

• Ti
      11th of Mar, 2009

I think a comment like "their store managers are rude and don't care" is absolutely horrible. Put yourself in their position. They are a corporation and have a written return policy, they are REQUIRED to uphold it. The return policy is clearly printed on the front and the back of your receipt. As far as a Christmas gifts go they even gave your extra time to do any returns or exchanges. I deal with rude customers everyday and trust me everyone has some excuse...I was in the hospital, I leave 45 minutes from here, my uncle died...I've heard it all but the reality is the return policy is what it is and employees can't risk their jobs to return something that is outside of the return policy...it's that simply. If you don't like the policy you should write to Brookstone on their website because the people in the stores are simply doing their job and how would you feel if this person lost their job in this horrible economy because they broke a company rule for you. That's exactly what your asking them to do...it's ridiculous.