Brookstone / Digital Photo Keychain / not compatible with mac!

1 Drake AvenueHun, AL, United States Review updated:

For my birthday my children bought me a "my life - digital photo keychain". Apparently it works only with Microsoft and not with Mac. I e-mailed the company and asked if they could send software compatible with my Mac. I have received no word. I cannot return it because the kids bought it themselves and didn't keep a receipt. The fact is that it seems like a great product and I would like to use it. Brookstone has only to send software or trade the product to keep me as a happy customer...but they don't care. I truly believe that if a business doesn't care to please one customer, they will choose themselves over every other customer. This is very disappointing.

Comments

• Je
      29th of Aug, 2007
    Brookstone - Poor service

I bought a Sona Pillow from Brookstone on the web. When I received it, I tried it out and it was horrible. It gave me a stiff neck, and my wife said I still snored. This was contrary to the ad. When I tried to return it, I was told they clearly state they do not except returns on personal items. This pillow is $129.00!! I bought it based on prior quality of items from Brookstone. I was shocked at their policy. This is a high end store in which I have spent 1000s of dollars. Even WalMart knows that a satisfied customer is a return customer. I am buying two Temperpedic beds. The last one I bought from Brookstone. Based on their policy on returns,not this time. My new company for similar items is Hammacher Schlemmer. Brookstone has lost me as a faithful customer. I hope thousands of others join me in changing with whom you shop when they do not exercise a reasonable return policy.

4th of Sep, 2007

Although I was told about the no return policy when I bought the pillow, I gave it a shot. I have found, after two weeks of use, that if I try to sleep with one arm under the pillow all night, that I, too, will have a stiff neck. Additionally, my shoulder will hurt from being stuck in one position. I'll give it some time, but right now, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Be
      15th of Sep, 2007

I purchased the "buds" sound isolating ear buds from Brookstone for $35. I came in with my Iphone informing the store at Dulles Town Center that I was looking for ear buds for my Iphone and I was told these were compatible. When I got home and tried to use these ear buds with my Iphone, they did not work. I went back to the store and they refused to accept the return. Of course, there was no indication prior to the sale that these would not be returnable. I left a message at the Brookstone corporate message center for the regional manager. It's been 5 days but I've received no call back. On the back of the Brookstone receipt, it says that certain personal care items MAY not be returnable. I would not classify ear buds as personal care items. For such electronic type items where compatibility can be an issue, they should very clearly mark these items as not returnable. I realize that once something like this is used, it cannot be resold without reconditioning... but that's what they need to be prepared to do.

• Da
      29th of Oct, 2007

I'm sending emails back and forth now to Brookstone on the same policy. I did not see a sign in the store telling me that the pillow was non returnable. They are saying that it's on the back of the receipt (you get that after you purchase the product.. a bit late).

Did you end up stuck with the pillow? I plan to call my credit card company next to dispute the charge. Has anyone had a better way to deal with Broookstone?

• Xm
      29th of Oct, 2007

I bought a Brookstone MP3 Voice Recorder for my ipod and it doesnt work with ipod nano. There is no mention anywhere in the product description that it doesnt work with ipod nano. They only mention that it will not work with ipod mini, which is a totally different product. I tried explaining to customer service but she blamed it all on me. They will not refund my s&h charge of $6.00. Never again will I buy from this store. Should I call my credit card company?

• Da
      30th of Nov, 2007

I had the same issue with the Sona pillow. I didn't see any sign in the store about the return policy for this pillow and it's too late to disclose it on the back of the receipt because you can't even return it the pillow is unopened! I disputed the charge with my credit card company but that didn't work because they apparently believed Brookstaone that I was informed that the sale was final (I was not). I'm thinking about small claims court now. I can't see shopping at Brookstone again.

• Br
      6th of Dec, 2007

Dear Ms. Rowe,

Please visit the below URL to download the proper software for your Digital Photo Keychain. You may download the software and installation book which correlates to your operating system. Please note that the device is only compatible with Windows based PC's and Mac desktops.

Please feel free to email us at customerservice@brookstone.com if we may be of further assistance.

9th of Dec, 2007

Kristin,

I had the same problem as we bought this product for our children to give to Grandma. I wanted to load the pictures and then send the keychain out as a holiday gift. I was going to bring it back but found your thread on this as well as Brookstone's reply which allowed us to download the mac application. The pictures are loaded and it was very simple. It's a neat little gift but they do need to correct this issue or they'll see a lot of returns on this product.

• Ka
      16th of Dec, 2007

I got the keychain as a gift from my best friend and I went to install the software and it was corrupt or something and didn't work. I think found this thread!!! Works perfect now.. love this product!

• Gr

12/22/07 2:35AM (CST)

Frankly, I am disgusted. My children bought me the Brookstone Digital Keychain as a gift for me, not knowing, and not being asked one way or the other whether or not I had a MAC or a WINDOWS computer. The staff should know that when dealing with ANYONE - and without exception CHILDREN! I now have a product that I have read forwards to back, and nowhere does it say it works with only Windows products. So, I tried for over an hour to load the super tiny disc into my monitor-side CD Drive, with failure each time. Now I have a Brand new iMac that has a non functioning CD DRIVE it will not eject the TEST disc I tried right after removing your inferior product! This is great considering that my son needs it each and every day to write musical scores for our 3,000 member's Sr. High - as he is the musical director. On top of that, he uses it to create the churches weekly Sound Blog that goes out over our computer, so this is NOT just a MINOR inconvenience!

Since I got this as a gift, there is no receipt. And like most dealings with Brookstone, I am quite sure it will be just as unpleasant as all the rest, and I'll just waist my valuable time even bringing this to your attention. Someone must step up, and do the right thing, and take care of the customers as they would like to be taken care of, but I assume that was a day in the long lost past. Now I must figure out a way of getting the test disc out of the side bay before morning and it's 3:00 AM!

Thanks, Brookstone

Greg J. Allen

22nd of Dec, 2007

Greg Allen - I was initially disappointed when I plugged the unit into my Mac and it didn't immediately recognize it. However, just like you did, I found this board and these comments. Unlike you, I noticed the web address higher up this page that has software for Mac for download. Also unlike you, I knew not to insert a mini-disc in a slot loading drive. Blame it on 3:00 a.m., but Brookstone actually came through in the above comment with a downloadble app for Mac. Get over yourself!!

22nd of Dec, 2007

Well said Jason. I was in the same boat as most folks on this board and was looking for Mac software for the Brookstone keychain. My wife and I bought this Brookstone keychain for my mother-in-law for Christmas and we took that chance that we would somehow be able to figure out how to get this to work with Mac. Thanks Brookstone for supplying the link and for selling these keychains that are Mac compatible.

• Di
      23rd of Dec, 2007

I agree with first complaint but after reading through and finding link for mac software, I am now thrilled with this product. I have bought a total of 5 for family and friends.

Very glad I found this site.. Thanks Brookstone for supplying the link and for selling these keychains that are Mac compatible.

• Co
      25th of Dec, 2007

I downloaded the software on my mac pro could not load pictures from i photo would like some help it seems software is working for everything else but that.

• Co
      25th of Dec, 2007

I also tried software on windows 2000 the screen is so big i can't acess the buttons on the bottom and can't drag edge to make it smaller looking for advice.

• Cr
      25th of Dec, 2007

I am also having the same problem with the screen being so big i can't see all the buttons to put the pics on the keychain... how do I fix this??

• Br
      26th of Dec, 2007

Common sense tells one that if the slot drive doesn't accept and
    "grab" the disc, don't force it in.

The above link worked perfectly on my Macbook Pro. Software is installed.

However,

I am running into the same upolad image problem. Images are not "selectable" for transfer from iphoto or photobooth.

• Lo
      26th of Dec, 2007

It's your own fault for not doing the research on the pillow. I know I would before spending 129.00. As far as it being a "personal item", would you wear a pair of underwear someone else returned? Me either. Think of the pillow as a pair of underwear.

27th of Dec, 2007

I wasn't able to upload directly from iphoto either. I had to browse through the "Pictures" folders. A bit of a pain admittedly, but i was pleased that the app at least did a preview of the files when going through that process. As an alternative, i used iPhoto to select the pics to transfer and then used the file export function to send them to a temporary folder on the desktop. I was able to go to that folder from within the keychain software and transfer all photos much faster.

29th of Dec, 2007

I bought the Brookstone digital keychain for my wife for christmas,I installed the soft ware like the book said and the screenis to big to use you cannot find the options you need to send it to the keychain. This software is really not user friendly.what can be done about this?