BroadwayPhoto.com / Scam

I live in central Texas and ordered a Garmin 260W GPS from Broadway Photo. After 3 days and no update on my order I called their service centre. I had to make three calls and never got to speak with the "expedite specialist". Hold time for the calls varied from 16 minutes to 23 minutes. About an hour later I checked my status and I needed to call a number and ext to verify my order. I called, was asked to please hold and 20 minutes later I am speaking the man.

He verified my name, address and my order. Then he tried to sell me a memory chip... a carrying case.. extended warranty. Then came the real kicker. Garmin sells the latest maps for 100 dollars and he can let me have it for 49.99. Told him I was not interested in anything other than what I ordered.

He then asked if I was happy with the Japanese maps and icons that I purchased and the instruction manual being in Japanese? WHAT!!! I really need US maps being in Texas.

After a bit of discussion, he did let me cancel the order and a couple hours later I got an email confirming the cancellation. Now it the credit card reversal goes thru, I will be happy.

I then checked the internet for reviews on Broadway Photo and I am only one of thousands of complaints.

Please do not fall into the same trap. Check the site BEFORE the order

Va

Comments

• Al
      13th of May, 2008
    BroadwayPhoto.com - Falls price advertisement
    Broadwayphoto.com
    New York
    broadwayphoto.com

I am probably one of the latest victims of BROADWAYPHOTO.COM. I ordered from them a Panasonic Lumix FX-500 digital camera just last week - May 7, 2008. The advertised cost of the camera on their website was $302.00 plus a 3-day shipping of $19.99, the total cost would have been $322.00. I received an e-mail to call them to confirm my order. Having shop online a lot of times, I thought it was kind of unsual for an online store to ask for confirmation through phone. Anyway, I called them and talked to a guy who sounded more like an expert car salesman and game me a high pressure sales pitch for several accessories which I did not intend to buy. In the end I was talked to buying additional 2 “extended life” batteries and a “high-speed” charger. The cost of the 3 additional accessories would not have been more than $100.00. I asked the guy to send me an e-mail with a breakdown cost of the items but did not received one. I received the package when I got home Friday evening and was shocked to see the total cost of the items - almost $500.00. The invoice did not even have an itemized pricing but just a total amount. I googled to check the price of the 2 “extended life batteries” and found out it cost from $20.00 to $25.00 in many electronic and online stores. The charger only cost $15.00. I tried to call them right away but realized they were closed for the day and also week ends. I called them Monday and took me more than 30 minutes to get through their customer service and the guy argued with me that the batteries were extended and more than $100.00 each. He said I even got a discounted price. He hung up even when I was not done talking. BROADWAYPHOTO.COM IS A SCAM and should be closed and their operators should be charged.

• M
      9th of Jul, 2008

Good to know.. I had the SAME THING HAPPEN When I tried to order the Garmin Nuvi 260W from TECHON DIGITAL.com except they wouldnt let me finish the order without ordering another $100 worth of memory cards.. when I told them to cancel the order minutes later I got an email... These people are SCAMMERS.. Thanks for the info and watch out for TECHON Digital too!

• Ji
      12th of Aug, 2008

You should send email to the Governer of NEW YORk and have them shut this plac down.

• Ro
      12th of Aug, 2008

Techon Digital did it to me too. Ripp Off!!

13th of Aug, 2008

Overstock, Buy.Com, Yahoo are you listening, stop promoting ads for these scheisters.

I purchased a Canon Powershot A650 IS for $286, which is a very good price, usually retails $299 - $499.

Rep calls me to "Make Sure" my order is correct. Tries to upsell memory, batteries, etc. Then drops the same bomb as above.

Sales Tech - "Ok, so do you speak Japanese, or would you like to upgrade to the US camera, for a total cost of $331"

Me - "No I dont speak Japanese. Where on the website does it say that this is anything other than a domestic US/English Language based camera. You are telling me that your camera and the instructions are in Japanese?"

Sales Tech - "It states in our online documentation that we advertise international versions, .. bla bla bla..."

Me - "Sounds like this is a case of deceptive practices and standard bait and switch tactics. "

I ultimately cancelled the order, and have made it my (temporary) mission to report these liars to every company they deal with!

• Va
      18th of Nov, 2008
    BroadwayPhoto.com - Online scam
    BroadwayPhoto.com
    bwayphoto.com

In searching for a digital camera, I came across a website called everyprice.com that boasted a ' Too good to be true ' price for the camera I was seeking. After placing my order and receiving a confirmation e-mail, I then received a follow up e-mail to call this merchant to verify my order.

When I called it turned out to be a scam. I was told that the camera I purchased only had a 90 day warranty, and would I like to buy an extended warranty. The battery was only good for 15 minutes, would I like to purchase an up grade.

The memory card was only good for a couple pictures and would I like to purchase a high capacity card. When I refused one offer after another, the salesman actually got annoyed and told me I would never find the camera for the price they offered, and then hung up on me.

The following day I did another search for the camera I had in mind and found a website called broadwayphoto.com who also offered the item i was looking for for a very low price. I placed an order and received a confirmation, and low and behold another follow up e-mail to verify!

When I called, it was the same voice from everyprice.com the previous day. I was then subjected to the same barrage of offers, which I also refused. I was told no problem and that my order would be shipped soon.

Well, the next morning I received an e-mail from broadwayphoto that said the camera was on backorder. After suspecting another scam, I decided to phone them. I called their 800 # and told them I was looking at a camera on their website and did they have it in stock. After being placed on hold, the same voice came back and said yes we have it in stock, would you like to order it?

I told him I already had, and was informed that they were on back order. His reply was, ' Oh! you must have ordered the imported model ' That made the scam complete! I then canceled the order! How many other address's do they scam under!