Broadway Photo LLC / Worst business i ever dealt with!

1 337 East 89th StreetBrooklyn, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-514-0157

I placed on online order for a camera on this website. I received an email a day later stating i must call to confirm before the order was shipped. When i called the rude operator tried selling me multiple other products, tried to sell me a japanese version of the camera, talked to me like trash, and the end result was i couldn't get anything for the price i originally ordered the camera for. Later i discovered many other websites with horrible experiences with this website. Beware of this scam artist!

Kr

Comments

• Br
      16th of May, 2007

I had exactly the same experience. Bait and switch = follow up call to pressure me into buying more, asked why I ordered Japanese model, and no mention of US model on their web site. As a matter of fact, for this camera, the only one they list in their catalog is the one I ordered. This was after checking the rating from Everyprice, which I found linked to PC Magazine.

• Er
      28th of Nov, 2007
    Boradway Photo
    337 E. 89th Street
    Brooklyn
    Phone: 1-800-630-0485
    www.bwayphoto.com

Upon ordering the item; I was instructed to call and confirm the order. Upon calling; the person on the phone attempted to "bait and switch me". I was told I needed to get an extended warranty and a upgraded batter and order the USA Model, which was conveniently NOT on their website until I was on the phone with them. (It is conveniently not on the website now.) The "USA" Model was significantly more expensive and the person on the phone attempted to pressure me and argue with me into authorizing a charge to my credit card for the "USA Model" because the advertised model would 'not work' without a firmware upgrade.

At this point I requested that my order be canceled and the seller attempted to negotiate with me for a lower (yet more expensive than advertised) price. I still insisted on cancellation of the order. At this point; the seller attempted to bully me into agreeing while repeatedly placing me on hold before finally relenting and canceling the order. I assume the responsibility of not performing proper due diligence in researching the seller. I had accepted the rating found on www.shopcartusa.com, which now appears fraudulent. Had I done proper research, I would have seen that I am NOT the only unsatisfied person.

Thankfully, I was able to cancel my order; however, I feel that I may now need to cancel my credit card and get a new number as this company now has my credit card number along with the CID. I am hoping that someone puts this company in its place, puts an end to their "bait and switch" business practices and restricts it from doing further business in the State of New York, or anywhere else for that matter.

13th of Mar, 2008

I had exactly the same thing happen to me with them. People should beware bigtime on these guys, they are only out to scam you!

• Va
      10th of Apr, 2008
    www.bwayphoto.com

Ordered a camera online-in stock, 1-2 days shipping per their website. Well after 3 days I get an email saying they need me to call to verify my order. They have my phone No, it's on the order, why don't they call me? Anyway I try calling and can only leave messages (TWO MORE DAYS). Then I find this site and read the crap they are pulling.

First thing I do is fax them a letter to cancel my order, then email them another letter (CC'd to myself and Credit card company) to make sure they understand I'm done with them. Then I called my credit card company and made sure they don't allow any charges on my card from this company.

Am watching my account to make sure nothing happens with this ### company, who knows what they may try and pull... NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THESE PEOPLE!!!

• Rc
      24th of Apr, 2008

Broadway Photo is a SLEAZY company. After placing your order, you have to call them back, at a number that is always busy, then wait 20 minutes on the phone before they try to sell you more products. They lied to me about the type of memory I needed to buy, then tried to charge me insurance on the shipping - a charge NOT disclosed on their website. After talking with this sleazy guy on the phone for about five minutes, I just cancelled the order. I'm calling the credit card company right now to be sure I'm not charged. I certainly can't trust these guys!

• Rr
      29th of Apr, 2008

I gave Braodway Photo the benefit of the doubt and received the worst case of bait and switch I have ever seen, not just one time, but on two ocassions. They should be put out of business. Too bad Elliot Spitzer is not in charge anymore. If you buy anything from these ### you need your head examined. If you see any electronics goods sold in Brooklyn for 50-100 dollars less than the next cheapest vendor, you are probably dealing with Broadway Photo, even if the name is different. Check the addresses, because they are normally on the same block.

• Va
      9th of Jun, 2008

I ordered a Nikon d60, then they wanted a confirmation call when I called they told me the battery it came with lasted 20 min and I should buy another for a special price of $79, I told them I was unsure and would call back. I saw that you could buy a battery for $29 at Best Buy so I declined when they told me they could sell me a batter for $69 and the one that comes with the camera would only last 10 minutes this time. I declined and he said he would throw it in for $49, I declined, and a few days later the item was out of stock.

• Sp
      9th of Jun, 2008

I always hope for the best when it comes to New York Camera shops, and ALMOST always end up with the worst.
    This shop, Broadway Photo, is yet another in the seemingly endless line of Bait and Switch price shops that only seem to operate in New York ( Must be a leadership problem, ya think ? ).
    I ordered a camera online, it has been IN STOCK on their web page for over 2 weeks while searching. They told me in an email I had to "call to confirm " my order ( a dead give away as no Legitimate shop insists you " confirm" and order when they have all the required information. I called, left a message confirming, wasnt good enough, had to "talk" to someone. Called again, re-confirmed. by now, instead of 1-2 business days after ordering, it was a week before even having the ordered processed. That NIGHT, I get a letter saying " Oh sorry for the inconvenience but that product is out of stock and wont be in for 4-6weeks " when i TOLD them I needed this taken care of ASA P as it was a gift. Of course, more expensive cameras are available, even though THIS MODEL is STILL on their web site as IN STOCK. If they cant honor their web site prices, they needed to be fined 50x the price of EVERY camera they refuse to sell because they cant "turn you" to a much higher priced item. That needs to be a LAW in NY since that is where nearly 90% of these shops operate.

WOULDNT BUY from these ### if the camera has last one on earth and i had to have it.

• Mi
      10th of Jun, 2008
    www.bwayphoto.com

They wont ship your order until you call them to verify it, then they try to sell you all this extra stuff stating that your product more than likely wont work without some of these items. When you refuse to purchase anything they then tell you that your product is an "import model" and everything will be in some other language unless you order the more expensive model. (It does not state ANYWHERE on their website that these items are import models). They really push you to spend more money, and if you still refuse, they send you an email later stating that your item is on backorder and it could be weeks or months before you may receive it, so you should just cancel. But if YOU try to cancel your order they charge you a whopping 20 percent restocking fee! They even charge you for stuff you did not order AND they send out 2nd rate and gray market products. Stay away from BROADWAY PHOTO. They have many other aliases they go by, so do your research, especially if the company is located in Brooklyn, NY.

BEWARE!!!

• Jb
      23rd of Jun, 2008

This company is obviously just an internet bait and switch co. They advertise the lowest price to get you to place the order and then try to sell you other items you don’t want, and they never did ship my product; here is my story.

I placed an order over the web in the evening and got a confirming email that the order was received. The next day I got an email saying I must call to confirm the order; along with a couple of phone calls to my home. I called to confirm and the sales person assured me the camera was in stock and they could ship in 1 to 2 days. He then pushed to sell me other items like a battery back, extended warranty, etc... I declined the item and ask them just to ship the camera.

He then asked why I purchased this camera. He told me the camera I selected at that price (which was the only advertised price on their web site and the one they were showing all over the web), was the “Imported Version” made for the Japan market. He said everything with this version was in Japanese and that the product was not warranted by Nikon for the US market; even though it was a new product. He then tried to sell me the same camera (the “US” version), at a much higher price. Everything seemed ok until I was unwilling to order any additional items.

Of course this sounded observed and I asked him more questions about it and asked him and to explain it further. He got very irritated and rude. Since I had been down this path before with another internet company; (read my review for “thecameraprofessionals.com”), I knew I was never going to see this camera; so I canceled the order.

Just for fun I called back and acted like I wanted to place an order for the camera. I confirmed the price and that it was in stock all ready to go at the “lower price” as advertised. After I confirmed the camera was in stock and ready to go at the lower price; I asked why the last sales person I spoke to told me this camera was not for the US market? This sales person then back peddled and gave me the same story as above. I confronted him with a bait and switch advertising and he hung up the phone on me.

9th of Jul, 2008

4 days after placing my order for an Olympus Evolt E-510 2-lens kit I receive an e-mail from Broadway Photo that said I need to call 1-800-307-1148, x245 to complete my order. I call the number and a representative confirms my shipping address and attempts to sell me batteries for $100+ I decline his offers and he continues to confirm my order, ending with a total for my order of $679. I questioned why the total came to be $679 when the advertised price was $477 with free shipping. The representative went on to explain to me that I was ordering from an "international" website and that the advertised price was for a chinese model of the camera kit and that the $679 price was for the U.S. camera kit. Aren't all websites international?? I live in Virginia and the Broadway Photo website provides a New York address. Why would they advertise a chinese model? I went back to the website and searched for "Olympus Evolt E-510 chinese model" and "Olympus Evolt E-510 U.S. model" with no results. I searched the site for "Olympus Evolt E-510" and it came back with 3 results: the 2-lens kit I ordered for $477, camera body only for $369, 14-42mm kit for $441 – none of which mention a chinese model/U.S. model. A $679 option for this camera does not appear anywhere on their site! Broadway Photo clearly is acting in a deceitful and intentional manner and attempted to bait and switch me by means of a telephone confirmation of my order. BEWARE of Broadway Photo: false advertising; bait & switch; misleading; deceitful...

• Pd
      30th of Jul, 2008
    337 E. 89th Street
    Phone: 1-800-687-1740
    broadwayphoto.com

Very disappointing treatment from a camera store that had positive reviews. Much like the disreputable HD Camera World scams reported here. I ordered a Canon SD1100 for what looked like a good price. Got a phone msg asked for a call back to "confirm my order." When I called, I was told that this was the "wholesale" package with a 15 minute battery and no warranty, and was offered an "upgrade" battery and better warranty for a total that equaled the full retail price. The caller was persistent, even after I identified what he was doing as a scam and asked for the order to be canceled. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY.

20th of Aug, 2008

Exactly the same thing happened to me. These guys are scammers. total BS!!! Which i would've read this first.

d

• Mw
      26th of Sep, 2008

Ordered a Fujifilm Finepix S2000HD on 9/24/08 for 220. Was called the next day, the caller said he was verifying my order. They also emailed that they would call. On the phone the sales person tried to get me to change order from "International model" to US model for +40. On their website there is no mention of the unit being an international model. I insisted that international model was OK. They said they would process my order. Subsequently I checked their website to discover that my order was now back ordered. I had received no such information when they spoke to me on the phone, nor did I receive email. I canceled the order. Today, on 9/26/08 their website still lists the item at 220 and that it is in stock.

3rd of Nov, 2008
    337 E. 89th Street, Brooklyn
    Phone: 1-800-307-1148 extension 245
    broadwayphoto.com

I ordered a Canon G10 through their website and immediately received a email saying that I had to call them to verify my order... so i did, and this guy told my that the G10 I ordered was a Chinese model that only came with Chinese interface and with only chinese warrenty...that's just totally ###, as a Chinese myself I know there is no so called chinese or asian models of canon cameras (only have different names on certain models)... that only happens with cell phones because of different channel standards...canon(and other manufacturers) sell the same cameras to the whole world only with only differents names on certain models! and the sale person also said the chinese model came with 20-mins battery and american model had 4-hour battery blah blah.. yeah right.. chinese people can only enjoy 20-mins of picture taking, how lucky the americans are!

anyway i canceled my order on the phone and it seemed that they didn't try to charge me a re-stocking fee, im actually surprised after reading some of other complaints... maybe im lucky on this...

• Ke
      6th of Nov, 2008

Watch out for Broadway Photo. They will tell you that you must call them to confirm your purchase at which time they will scam you. I ordered a garmin 255W and the rep told me it came with old map data and I needed to purchase the new map data for a DISCOUNTED price of $50. I contacted Garmin directly and they said the Nuvi's are all new and have current map data and informed me the broadway photo rep was untruthfull. A little research on these guys and you will find out the truth.

• Ah
      11th of Nov, 2008

This was almost my exact experience as well. BEWARE!!! Broadway photo is also associated wtin Prestige Camera/Photo.

• We
      23rd of Nov, 2008

Be CAREFUL with them. A couple months after making and cancelling an order with them I had fraudulent charges on my credit card for gas in NJ (where I have never been). Stay away from Broadway Photo.

• Me
      26th of Nov, 2008

Beware of Broadway Photo! I tried to buy a Sony Alpha 300 camera. I got a call the next day to "verify my address" at that point they tried to bait and switch. This company is a FRAUDULENT ADVERTISER. The sales person tried to tell me the item I was purchasing was a "grey market camera" an "import" I would have to buy a US battery to go with it, or, for an exorbitant fee, upgrade to a US model. I asked how on earth I was to know it wasn't just a good price and was in fact a "grey market" commodity? He rudely said to read their "About Us" section of their website and call him back. PER THEIR WEBSITE, any "grey" item states it has a "one year Broadway Photo" warranty and not one from the manufacturer. Okay... so I looked my item back up and it said no such thing, it just said, "One Year Warranty". My point is, there is no way to know that this item was not a US item until I talked to them on the phone. And- They were rude. I cancelled my order. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY AND BUY FROM A REPUTABLE ONLINE SELLER.

14th of Jan, 2009

your readers might also be interested in this news about broadway photo:

cheers,