Broadway Photo / Higher price

1 337 E. 89th StreetBrooklyn, NY, United States Review updated:

My husband and I spent several hours on Mother's day looking for this camera online as this was my gift. We googled it and one of the sites came up Everydaylowprice.com. We went there took a look, lookedA some more elsewhere and came back. The best price was their TRUSTED SELLER, Broadway Photo. We ordered it with the 5 year warranty. The price: $413.00, shipping was free because it was over $100.00. Next day we get an e-mail to call and verify order, my husband does and the man states the battery has short life, the warranty is no good in NY state unless we pay another $50.00. And he keeps trying to get my husband to order more stuff. Plus the shipping is free but there is a 9% handling fee. My husband says okay and calls me, I tell him no way the price went from $413 to $539 and he didn't buy anything extra. I told to call and cancel it and we would shop elsewhere. When he called back the man was so RUDE and OBNOXIOUS. He couldn't believe we wanted to cancel, he kept saying your'e a smart guy, how about if I give it to your for $499...that's $50 off, NOT REALLY BUDDY..THAT IS ALMOST $90 MORE..

After this my husband spoke to his sister and she was going to order the same camera from there but called first and he treated her the same way.

I e-mail Everydaylowprice.com and put a feedback on the site for this seller. To day Everydaylowprice.com hasn't even bothered to contact me, I won't use this site again either. Back to Amazon or regular retail for me...

MY ADVICE: STAY AWAY, VERY FAR AWAY FROM THIS BUSINESS, IT IS NOT WORTH YOUR TIME AND ENERGY TO GET ROOKED AND UPSET.

I just wonder how many people just say "yeah okay" and pay the extra. TELL THEM NO, BETTER YET DON'T EVEN SHOP THIS SITE.

Va

Comments

• Va
      15th of Apr, 2008
    Broadway Photo - Online store that is not friendly to customers
    www.bwayphoto.com

I was looking online for competitive pricing on a brand new Sony KDL-46XBR4 and I found Broadway Photo selling it for a good price compared to most. When my mom and I called in, the "supervisor" took our order for the television and was really pushy in telling us we absolutely need an extended warranty and some kind of stand. My mom who isn't knowledgeable about these sorts of things bought into it when I was away. She then changed her mind because the whole thing was costly and she wanted to cancel some items in the order. We called back to cancel within about half an hour or so and he said that he would charge a 15% fee on the whole order if we did. We told him that wasn't fair because it hasn't been shipped out yet nor processed and that it didn't comply with their on site store policy but he still kept pushing that bs until he finally said you either keep it as it is or fully drop the order. So we cancelled the whole thing and we should be refunded hopefully. All in all the store and supposedly the guy in charge of it is a ***. I would definitely not recommend this store at all to anyone.

11th of Jun, 2008
    Broadway Photo - They're all the same
    www.bwayphoto.com

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me! I've been trying to buy the same Canon SD890 camera for the past two months. I've tried three different online sellers (Broadway Photo, Technon, TVs Depot) all of them impeccably rated by the "Everyprice.com" website. Each time with the same results: Promised the camera was in stock then it wasn't. Very aggressive on the phone to try and get you to buy extras which I didn't need. Bait and switch tactics... "Well the camera you ordered is actually a oversees version "Ixy", to get the SD890 you need to pay $30 more." (I can only imagine how they got their hands on oversees version. I'm sure there's an inventory somewhere missing a shipment or two). So I had time on my hands and actually was interested to see how it works and as all capitalism... THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH. Yes these sellers are cheaper but you get exactly what you pay for: Poor service, aggressive tactics, subpart (possibly stolen) products, and a long wait. So finally I wised up, went to AMAZON.COM and my camera is on the way. NEVER AGAIN!

1st of Jul, 2008
    Broadway Photo - Horrible customer service
    www.bwayphoto.com

I just bought a Nuvi GPS from Broadway Photo. The Nuvi is fine, but Broadway Photo is both unethical and non-responsive.

When I talked with the sales person to first place my order, he told me outright that the GPS did not come with a dashboard mount, that the GPS tends to fall off the windshield, and that I needed to buy a separate windshield mount for an additional $30. When the GPS arrived in the mail, I realized that the sales person had lied. The Nuvi did in fact come packaged with its own dashboard mount. I tried for the next SIX DAYS to get through by phone to Customer Service to get a return authorization for the huge, heavy mount that they had sold me, but could not get past their busy signal or their automated message that their recorded messages was full. According to their website, I had 14 days to get an authorization number, so I sent them an email explaining the situation and asking them to call me, so that I could return it before I left on vacation. No response. Today, after calling 12 times and holding the line for 37 minutes, I finally got through and was told that since the return period was over, there was no way to get a refund. This was my second major purchase from Broadway Photo but I will never, ever buy from them again. Their customer service is unethical if not uninformed, unavailable, unfriendly, and rigid.

8th of Jul, 2008
    Broadway Photo - Con artist company
    www.bwayphoto.com

I bought a camera advertised at $319 including charger and battery. They e-mailed to call regarding the order. They said that the battery included only last five minutes and that I need it extra one. O.K. considering that the camera is retail at $400 I at this point to say "sure, include that battery for another $50". They said that the shipping was free. When I receive the item, it had the original battery which can last more than the 5 min and they charge additional $55 for "handling". All and all, I paid $471 for something I could have gotten at Best buy for the same price. What a crappy company. DO NOT BUY FROM THESE CON ARTISTS!!!

• Oo
      8th of Jul, 2008
    Broadway Photo - Bait & switch scam
    337 E. 89th Street
    Brooklyn
    Phone: 7183381800
    www.broadwayphoto.com

This company is an internet bait and switch company and very aggressive on the phone. They advertised the lowest price to get me to place the order and then tried to sell me other items I did not want by sending me an email saying I needed to call them to confirm my order three days after I had originally placed the order. When I called to confirm, they told me the item I ordered had high glare and I needed other items added to my order to even be able to use the original item I ordered. After thinking better of this transaction within a couple of hours I decided to cancel order knowing that I had been scammed. When I called, they told me I had to talk to customer service but that they were currently closed and I would have to try back the next day. I explained that I wanted to cancel an order before it could be shipped. He claimed he was only an operator although all subsequent phone calls have uncovered no such operator. I then sent an email explaining my issue and that I wanted to cancel that order. Never got a response from that. Once I discovered how this company operated, I called back and I asked the person on the phone to cancel my order. He said I would still be required to pay a restocking fee even if I returned the item unopened. I said I would do that but didn't think I should have to pay a restocking fee since I didn't want the stuff the pushy salesmen talked me into. I told him I would even be willing to repurchase just the original item I had ordered to which he then replied, "I don't care where you buy your item". At this point, I ask to speak to someone above him and he replied that there was no one above him to talk to. Their customer service is unethical if not unavailable, unfriendly, and rigid. These salesmen and customer service are all the same people who are pushy, rude, evasive and not customer friendly. The web site is flawed and no receipt or itemized description of my order was ever available to me.

• Da
      9th of Jul, 2008
    Broadway Photo - Misleading and deceitful
    337 E. 89th Street
    Brooklyn
    Phone: 1-800-687-1740
    www.broadwayphoto.com

4 days after placing my order for an Olympus Evolt E-510 2-lens kit I receive an e-mail from Broadway Photo that said I need to call 1-800-307-1148, x245 to complete my order. I call the number and a representative confirms my shipping address and attempts to sell me batteries for $100+ I decline his offers and he continues to confirm my order, ending with a total for my order of $679. I questioned why the total came to be $679 when the advertised price was $477 with free shipping. The representative went on to explain to me that I was ordering from an "international" website and that the advertised price was for a chinese model of the camera kit and that the $679 price was for the U.S. camera kit. Aren't all websites international?? I live in Virginia and the Broadway Photo website provides a New York address. Why would they advertise a chinese model? I went back to the website and searched for "Olympus Evolt E-510 chinese model" and "Olympus Evolt E-510 U.S. model" with no results. I searched the site for "Olympus Evolt E-510" and it came back with 3 results: the 2-lens kit I ordered for $477, camera body only for $369, 14-42mm kit for $441 – none of which mention a chinese model/U.S. model. A $679 option for this camera does not appear anywhere on their site! Broadway Photo clearly is acting in a deceitful and intentional manner and attempted to bait and switch me by means of a telephone confirmation of my order. BEWARE of Broadway Photo: false advertising; bait & switch; misleading; deceitful...

14th of Jul, 2008
    Broadway Photo - Deceptive ad
    www.bwayphoto.com

Ordered a Canon SD870is from them, $239.99. Afterward, received the "standard" call. I said if this is to sell me "extras" STOP! Absolutely not interested, period. "Oh, no. We're just verifying the order, " but they went into their high pressure sales pitch anyway. I repeated "NO!" as strongly as I could.

Then, in a condescending tone-of-voice, came "Was I sure I wanted the Japanese version?" NO WHERE ON THE SITE WAS THIS STATED! (I have since double-checked.) Surprise! It turns out the US version (book in English) sells for $299.99. I canceled the order.

• Al
      27th of Jul, 2008
    Broadway Photo - Fault advertisement
    Broadwayphoto.com
    NYC
    Phone: 1-800-687-1744
    broadwayphoto.com

Stay away from Broadwayphoto.com. - an epitome of in fault advertisement. They advertise the lowest price, but after you submit your order they sent you an e-mail with request to call to confirm the order. Then they let you know that the price no longer available, but they have a better product for you…Extremely rude and unprofessional – what a scam place and they don’t even try to hide it, but just hang up the phone on you.

• Pd
      30th of Jul, 2008

Thanks for identifying Everyprice.com as the source of the good reviews. I had exactly the same experience with Broadway Photo, trying to buy a Canon SD1100. They had glowing reports as the 'best vendor' on Everyprice. I'm now led to suspect that Everyprice is itself a scam site.

14th of Aug, 2008

12/01 ordered this camera online. 12/03 email received asking to confirm order. I called to receive an extreme and rude sales pitch to purchase additional accessories. Salesman did not want to take NO for an answer. Immediately called back and complained to their customer service department. Was assured that the camera would be shipped the next day.

12/5 email received stating the camera was on back order. According to their website today, the camera is in stock.

What a joke.

• Ha
      18th of Aug, 2008

These people are notorious for bait and switch, canceling your order if you don't buy accesories and having a sudden back order if you don't purchase acceories. They sell "locked" and "unlocked" units, and from Garmin these just aren't even real. They say "locked" can never be updated, which simply isn't ture.

They are "related" to Camera Addict and one or two other sites that offer CHEAP GPS units and cameras, but then switch things around on you.

BEWARE

• Ca
      21st of Aug, 2008

Same thing for me. I ordered a GPS system from broadway photo and then they called the next day and tried to push me to buy a map upgrade for 69.00. I called Garmin directly and found out that all upgraded maps are free. BROADWAY IS A SCAM!!!

• Pe
      22nd of Aug, 2008
    Broadway Photo - Item Not as advertised
    New York

Don't order anything from them!!! They had the best price for the Garmin Nuvi 270 Gps unit I wanted because it had both Europe and US maps installed. They sent an e-mail asking me to call about my order. They then told me that if I wanted BOTH sets of maps it would cost another $70! They also tried to sell me additional items. When I questioned them about this (since I had done my research and I knew that the model should have both sets of maps) they told me my order was cancelled and then they HUNG UP ON ME!!!

I am back to Amazon for sure - I have never had a problem with them. Do not order from Broadway photo!

28th of Aug, 2008

I wanted to but a camera, and knew the drill about New York cameras store. So first question was do you have in stock before we go into other things. Sales person said yes he check, I told him it was a gift no other items needed, then he said oh it's on backorder for two weeks. Then as soon as I said cancel order he hang up the phone, so rude. Why are they allowed to try to up sale customers, just imagine the ones that fall for the tripod and extra batteries wow. It's not only them there are a few more in New Jersey . I believe the stores are run by Middle Eastern people and don't really care if they make a sale or not weird.

28th of Aug, 2008
    Broadway Photo - Up sale
    www.broadwayphoto.com

I wanted to buy a camera, and knew the drill about New York cameras store. So first question was do you have in stock before we go into other things. Sales person said yes he check, I told him it was a gift no other items needed, then he said oh it's on backorder for two weeks. Then as soon as I said cancel order he hang up the phone, so rude. Why are they allowed to try to up sale customers, just imagine the ones that fall for the tripod and extra batteries wow. It's not only them there are a few more in New Jersey . I believe the stores are run by Middle Eastern people and don't really care if they make a sale or not weird.

5th of Oct, 2008
    Broadway Photo - Scammers
    bwayphoto.com

Broadway photo is also operating under many different names. WildDigital.com is one of them. They tried to high pressure me into buying more accessories, promised to deliver in two days, but after refusing the accessories, said the item was not in stock and I would have to wait for another shipment. They are very rude, aggressive and threatening on the phone. These people can't be trusted. There are many more reports on the internet about Broadway Photo. Also do not trust WildDigital.com. They are just looking to steal your money. Report them to your credit card company and attorney general ASAP!

• Mi
      12th of Nov, 2008
    Broadway Photo - Misrepresentation, bait & switch
    Broadway Photo, LLC

Purchased a Garmin Nuvi 225W GPS online from Broadway Photo. Received an email requesting that I call them. When I called, they told me that the GPS came with last year's maps (2007) and I should buy new maps from them. Also tried to sell me a beanbag holder and extended warranties and other accessories (I declined). They then told me that the GPS was a GRAY MARKET item from Japan and that all the maps and voice output from the GPS would be in Japanese and would I prefer to order the more expensive USA item. I declined and I asked if their website mentioned that the GPS was a gray market item. They said it was clearly stated on their website. I double checked the website and it was not mentioned. I cancelled the order. My advice to you is do not deal with Broadway Photo. Many others have had similar complaints.

15th of Nov, 2008
    Broadway Photo - Fraud and scam
    bwayphoto.com

I was shopping online for a digital camera. Broadway photo came up with a great price and as a preferred seller and noting IN STOCK. I placed my order, and I received an email that my order was processed and will be shipped within 3 day. 2 day latter I got an email “please contact us in order to process your order. I called and got connected to a sales person trying to convince me to buy a battery for $75 because the camera comes with a battery that works for 20 minutes only, and a SD card for $50 or $60 because the camera comes with no SD card. I refused to buy there stuff. A few hours later I got an email “sorry the camera you ordered is out of stock. Sorry for the inconvenience".

I understand that things could happen, but this is not the first time it happened with the same company. And I am not the only one it happened to. They are listing everything “IN STOCK" for vary cheap prices, then try to push you to buy other products from them for very expensive, and if you refuse than the product you ordered suddenly becomes “OUT OF STOCK" and they are sorry for the inconvenience.

I would really appreciate if real action will be taken against all the FRAUD companies. I wish somebody should put an end to this, once and for all.

• U8
      10th of Dec, 2008
    Broadway Photo - Upsell / Bait and Switch
    Massachusetts
    broadwayphoto.com

My experience was justthe same as the one in https://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/broadway-photo-c118392.html

Ordered Canon G10 on the web for $371: an excellent, but not obviously too-good-to-be-true deal (unlike the $286 from TechonWeb). Got the "please verify" e-mail, called and got a bloke who tried to sell me various unnecessary stuff (same "15-minute battery" story) and then told me that the camera would only have Japanese screen displays, and for $100 extra I could have the US model--and, get this, that I didn't know this because my browser's popup-blocker must have prevented me from seeing the window that explained this when I was placing the order.

He agreed to cancel the order, but I'll be watching closely for the charge. I wonder how people like this live with themselves after spending their days lying to customers.

I should have checked here first!

30th of Dec, 2008
    Broadway Photo - Awful company
    bwayphoto.com

I had ordered a $548 package Nikon camera. Broadway Photo called on Sunday morning, Dec. 7, 2008, to 'confirm' the order; then sold me a $70 2-hr second rechargeable battery; then tried to sell a 1 year warranty he said would be good at any Nikon dealer, instead of the 1 year warranty that comes with which I would have to deal directly with Broadway Photo. I said I wasn't interested. He said he was canceling the order and hung up.

I characterized this as unusual because he had actually increased the order by $70, to over $600 before saying he was canceling and hanging up.