British Gas Homecare / Annual service!

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

We have had British Gas Homecare agreement for a number of years. Our boiler used to get serviced in September of each year. It then went to October. Then we found we were not getting any appointments for our service and it was left up to us to ring and ask when. This year i sent e-mail asking when our service was being done and got no reply. I phoned and was told the appointment would be Friday the 30th November. We received a letter confirming the appointment on Friday 23rd November. On Saturday the 24th at about 5.30pm we received a phone call to say they could not keep this appointment due to the fact that they might need their engineers for emergency call outs due to the weather getting colder. We explained we were going away for most of December until 6th Jan 2008 and they said we would have to make another appointment for January and that the same thing could happen again. This we thought was unbelievable and that they were not honoring our contract bearing in mind that on the letter we received it states how important the annual service is due to carbon monoxide omissions. We asked to speak to their supervisor and was met by the same comments from them.
He then duly put the phone down on us. We phoned British Gas customer service to complain but just came up against another brick wall. I then decided there and then to cancel our agreement and canceled direct debit. We have sent a letter of complaint to the complaints dept, (don,t hold your breath). We also received today a cheque for 3 pence LOL with no explanation for why or what.

For people reading this i would steer clear of anything to do with British Gas.

Comments

• Co
      4th of Feb, 2008

Absolutely agree with your comments disgraceful and totally uncaring attitude one has to question wether all the advertising jargon is legal.

• Di
      30th of Sep, 2008

My complaints are too long to list as far as British Gas goes, it all started when they turned up to do the annual safety inspections, everything was working fine... when they left water was pouring out of the water tank, down the walls, over the carpets and down into the kitchen. After repeated calls I had to pay an independent plumber to come out to stop this problem, my tenant had scalding water and steam in his face twice before this independant plumber came out and told us what BG had done and provided an 'interim fix', he is too busy for more, since then - no hot water spraying out of the tank but leaks from the tank down the walls into the kitchen, the tenants have had no hot water or heating for nearly 3 weeks, - and after 9 calls to British Gas (a different person each time) 4 promises of an engineer to come out (each time the tenenat stayed at home, I live in France) and the engineer never turned up. The final straw today after 5 calls to BG, engineer was scheduled again for this morning, i called at 3.30pm and was ASSURED that he would turn up - now 8.30pm and another no show... and no courtesy calls, BRitish Gas say they will call you back and THEY NEVER DO, they say they will turn up and THEY NEVER DO

I have paid these guys over £50 a month for the last ten years and they have done nothing for that but the annual inspections, now when I need them I spend most of my day on the phone talking to imbeciles who often refuse to give me their name!!! I need help in suing BG - can anyone advise please??

Any lawyers out there who will take my case and help me sue British Gas??

28th of Oct, 2008

I agree, as we speak I have water pouring down the walls, having just had our 7th visit from an engineer in 5 months. On the last visit, we were assured the leaky boiler was fixed once and for all, had the builders in to replace the ceiling and replaster, and one month on it's worse than it was before!
    The engineer cam out today, said he'd "temporarily" fixed it as he didn't have the parts (they never do), and someone else would return tomorrow. An hour after he left, a few drops down the wall became a cascading waterfall. Rang BG, and their only suggestion? Turn the mains off. The most appaling service I have ever had the misfortune, not to mention stupidity, to pay for!
    I want to sue them to kingdome come.

2nd of Dec, 2008

British Gas homecare 10 point coping strategy in the event of loss of heating system
    1/ pay homecare premium
    2/ place emergency no heating service call and learn British Gas are attending between 1 and 6 the next day as am is busy due to the cold
    3/ 16 hours later chase call learn you were told no such thing and it is being attended the following morning between 9 and 1
    5/ 24 hours later learn that 1st call was never logged, place service call
    6/ 12 hours later chase service call learn that call will be attended soon and expect a call within the hour
    7/ 4 hours later chase service call learn it will not be attended to today but somone will call you to organise tommorrow
    8/ 16 hours later lets wait and see if call placed 62 hours ago was cleared from the "system" and get ready to place service call as they never ever call you ..our call out for you.
    9/ savour the slothfull customer apathy and incompetence with the odd untruth; "the engineers on his way", " your wife/husband was categorically advised that the engineer would attend the day after tommorrow, i dont know where you got the idea he was calling between 1 and 6 yesterday"
    10/ promise yourself that in the future you will stay VERY CLEAR of any british gas products or so called services

• Da
      3rd of Dec, 2008

British Gas have given me by far the worst customer service I have ever received from any utility company, and that is saying something!

They never turn up when they say they will, they never have the right equipment, nobody ever knows about your account, they refuse to ever let you speak to a supervisor. I have lost days and days of work time taken off to wait for their engineers.

Appalling. Don't even allow it to cross your mind to take up a contract.

• Ti
      13th of Dec, 2008

We have just had an experience very similar to this complaint. Repeated promises unfulfilled. Fixed appointment reneged upon. An extremely unhelpful manager. An arrogant attitude. Refusal to correct admitted errors. Inability to make firm forward commitments.

We are voting with our feet. We are going to look into alternative boiler insurance and cancel the account as soon as we can. The clincher was the behaviour of the manager who (apparently calling to 'apologise') made no attempt to keep to the commitment made earlier on a time (already a day later than previously promised). My wife picked up the phone to an alternative supplier who acted pretty well on the spot with a talk-through (it was now early evening) on the heating system and a commitment to come by 9.00am next morning. Wow!

If anyone is thinking of using British Gas Homecare - don't bother. We had a contract in place since the late-1980s and never used to have complaints but this latest experience (first use in five years) made us realise that the service had deteriorated, perhaps because they have classically over-sold without investing in either management or engineers able to meet demand. It's crazy not to have sufficient engineers or a fixed appointment system only two weeks before Christmas. And they really should learn that 'apologising' is no bloody good if you cannot keep to the commitment made by your staff.

Anything to do with the credit crisis? Who knows? But we have labelled it 'toxic service delivery' and are pleased we did not waste any more money - and only regret the premiums for the last five years (about £1, 000 for buggerall it appears).

• Ga
      21st of Jul, 2009

I was sold Homecare 400 with the promise that the outside water pipe between the house and stopcock would be covered, the British Gas Homecare salesperson kept reiterating how important that sort of cover is and how valuable it would be to me etc etc
    Lo and behold, in the recent cold spell, I got a burst pipe. I didn't realise I had the leak for a few weeks, as the water supply did not completely stop, we just had lower pressure but we still had water.
    Then the neighbours asked if I had a leak because they had water coming up through their garage floor. Turns out there was a big leak and the floor void was saturated.
    Now comes the British Gas Homecare lies and dishonesty. After spending hours on the phone trying to make a claim, I was told I was not covered because the leak had been in place for a few weeks so it was not an emergency. They refused to let me even start the claim process. So if you have a leak and don't have x-ray vision so that you can see through the floorboards or into the ground and see the leak straight away, you are not covered! Unbelievable!
    It cost me £650.00 to commission a commercial contractor to sort the leak out. I have tried to complain to British Gas by phone, but they say someone will phone back, and nobody does. And each time I contact them I have to spend ages waiting on the phone.
    Homecare will do anything to wriggle out of their obligations. Any advice on what I can do next?

• Ha
      21st of Sep, 2013

British gas sent 3 men to repair my boiler and in the end, the 4th man finally fixed it.
    Not good at all. I was on the Homecare boiler service.