Brewer Investment / Scam and cheating

1 211 Main St.Brandon, Manitoba, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 778-865-9878

Got a letter with no return address. There is a stamp that says Canada, and there is a yellow flower on stamp. This letter states that I won a 'COMPENSATION DRAW' sweepstakes. Claims an entry slip with the serial number 1108800 with my name on it, and the winning numbers were [protected]. I am supposedly the winner of $250, 000, which will be payable by certified check to be mailed by a courier (FedEx or UPS). Letter states that I am to contact Melissa Bennett at [protected] anytime between Monday and Friday 9am-5pm, PST.

There is an enclosed check for $4570.00. The name of the bank is RBC Centura Bank, and the company who made out the check is Brewer Welding and Fabrication. Their address is 7301 Delta Lane in Charlotte NC. This check will be used to pay the Non Resident Government Service Tax (GST), payable to the tax agent by MONEYGRAM as stated below:

Sandy Williams
624 Main St.
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

I knew immediately that this was a scam, but I wanted to call the number to see what they had to say. When I called, the foreign gentleman who answered, didn't announce the company name. He just said, 'Can I help you'? I told him about the letter, and he asked for the claim number that was on the letter. I gave it to him, and he instructed me to deposit the check into my checking account, and to call him back. He would then set up my claim.

There was no way I was going to deposit this 'check' because this just screams scam to me. Unfortunately, this Brewer Welding and Fabrication is a real company. They have a website which has the same address as what is on this 'check'. I looked up 'Brewer Investment' on the BBB's website, but found nothing.

Hopefully, this report will save people from thinking this is legitimate

Va

Comments

• Fr
      12th of Aug, 2008

I received a similar letter instructing me to speak with Jennifer Grant at 778-885-4858. When I asked her to confirm what time it was at her location, she was not able or was unwilling to tell me. Interesting, since all I was asking for was to verify the time zone difference. I am also going to google search the bank that the check is drawn on.

One other point to note. I live in Michigan and have several Canadian friends. Don't most Canadians spell it "cheque"?