Brattleboro MemorialHospital / Inhumane Treatment

Brattleboro, VT, United States Review updated:
Phone: (802) 257-0341

This hospital treated me in a cruel manner both in the Emergency Room and on the floor. I went to the ER in severe pain. They refused to do an MRI and kicked me out of the ER in horrible pain, again and again. One time a Nurse Practitioner spitefully squeezed my spasming (in agony) arm and leg while demoralizing me about coming back to their ER. When I tried to talk about what was happening to me, they distorted my words as an excuse to get rid of me. Finally my husband refused to take me home until they found out what was wrong with me. That set me up for a whole bunch of degrading treatment, but finally they relented and had a doctor examine me. The doctor was startled by the terrible condition I was in and admitted me to the hospital. Almost immediately an MRI was done, which revealed that I had a serious disease.

At first the hospital stay was peaceful, but it didn't last long. It was decided to punish me for being unable to walk by withholding food and medication, yelling and screaming at me for not doing what I asked them to, and trying to force me to walk when they could clearly see that the attempt to get up and do so was causing me severe spasmic pain (they had taken away my anti-spam medication!) and I could not walk with such spasms in my leg. Michele M. Rowland. RN, LICSW bragged to me about her credentials and about all the patients like me that she had forced to walk. Her anger at me was escalating and she degradingly informed me that I was to be forced out of the hospital today for refusal to comply. I asked her to transfer me to a nursing home since I could not take care of myself and I was afraid that my elderly and disabled husband might collapse trying to do all of my home care. She replied that the paperwork to get somebody like me into a nursing home was "too hard" and refused to even try.

My husband came in and put up a fight about the discharge and I ended up staying two more days. By then my spasms had stopped (they had given me the medication back and increased the dose, like they should have done in the first place). I was able to walk slightly, and get into a wheelchair and go home. My husband helped me with the home care as well as he could.

Ka

Comments

• Ka
      6th of Apr, 2012

I never go near an ER unless I am in severe pain. Our car had broken down, preventing me from seeing my own doctor.

• Ll
      7th of Apr, 2012

In sensitive butt heads on this comment page. You don't know this lady, or what her issues were. I hope you suffer to the level she had so you will know just what it feel like to be mistreated by a place that is supposed to care for you when you are ill.
    What a bunch of jerks

8th of Apr, 2012

Obviously there is an abuser tracking me on this board. He will do all he can to discredit me, but it won't work. I go to many places on the Internet, and he won't be able to find me everywhere. I tell nothing but the TRUTH.

• Id
      9th of Apr, 2012

I know how hospitals can be. if I were you I would find a different Hospital next time and there will be a next time as it doesn't seem they found out what the real problem was. Good Luck!

28th of Apr, 2012

Thank you for the support, Lloyd and Idocare.
    I was able to get ahold of some of my hospital records and found out that they misrepresented me, distorting what actually happened. They withheld a vital medication from me, Baclofen, that would have enabled me to do some walking without excruciating pain. When I wasn't able to walk, they wrote me up in the charts as "noncompliant".

• He
      28th of Apr, 2012

i was born in that hospital and i have many relatives who work there...it s a great hospital and you need to remember that the employees are people to, you were probably carrying on acting like you were the only paitent there wanting their immediate attention...Brattleboro memorial Hospital is a great place

28th of Apr, 2012

Brattleboro Memorial Hospital is not a great place--not at all. Word on the street here is that they maltreat a lot of people. Most people try hard to to go to Cheshire Hospital whenever they can. But the ambulance here refuses to take people anywhere but BMH, plus in our case our car had broken down. I NEVER got mistreated at Cheshire, not ever. As soon as I am able to, I am going to track down the names of the people who abused me and post their full names and titles online.

Of course, BMH is VERY good to a certain elitish group of people. THEY can afford the best of lawyers!

28th of Apr, 2012

I was polite to and very considerate of the nurses and other staff while I was a patient at BMH. There is no excuse for the maltreatment that was served to me.

27th of Jul, 2012

A few days ago my husband was at a local pharmacy when a woman came in, shuddering in horror. She said that she had just come from the Brattleboro Memorial Hospital ER where they had regarded her--sick, frightened, in pain--in a very nasty and abusive manner. She was fortunate to even get a prescription from them! She found it horrible and unbelieveable that this is how physically ill people get treated in the 21st century.

My husband also recently ran into a man who was rushed to BMH with a serious heart condition--and they told him to get up and go home! Since the ambulance wouldn't go to another hospital, he in his very ill condition, had to call a friend and beg for a ride to the higher quality Cheshire hospital, twenty miles away. There they treated him very well, as they always do with sick people.

The horror stories from good people who are SOUND OF MIND roll on and on.

31st of Jul, 2012

I keep trying to make an inroad, to shine some light on the ill treatment that nonrich people (all of us who cannot afford a high quality lawyer) are receiving at the hands of some nurses/medical workers at Brattleboro Memorial Hospital.. To cover themselves, they look for signs of even slight depression or anxiety and then state that you are mentally ill, implicating that you cannot be trusted or believed in any way. Then nobody believes your claims of mistreatment.

Mentally ill people have just as much right to good and respectful treatment as everybody else, but this hospital disdains and bullies anybody they consider mentally ill, and then say things similar to: "you can't believe anything that crazy lunatic says." And then they laugh, to reinforce the idea that you are ridiculous. I was NOT mentally ill! They distorted everything I said and did to make me look insane, and they were sarcastic and demeaning.