Brake Inspection And Service / Dissatisfied with inspection

In late June of 2006 I took my car (1998 Honda Accord LX) into Free Service Tire and Auto service center located at 4925 Broadway N.E. Knoxville, TN 37918 to have the brakes inspected. I had recently purchased the vehicle and had noticed that the brake light was intermitantly turning on and off. After the inspection I was told that the brake fluid was low and that was all that was wrong with the vehicle. On July 15 2006 I starting hearing noises from my car indicating that the brakes needed servicing so I took my car back to the above location for another inspection. After this inspection I was told that my brake pads were completely worn through and that the rotors would need to be replaced because of the damage. I was also told that the repair bill would be $254 which I knew was extravagant but upon questioning the mechanic I was told "That's the going rate." I then took my car to a brake shop 2 blocks away and was given the estimate of $166. Three months ago I had my brake pads and rotors replaced on my previous car (2000 Honda Civic DX) at another Free Service Tire and Auto service center at 5602 Kingston Pike, Knoxville TN 37919 and was charged $191.10 which included an oil change as well. Needless to say I am dissatisfied with both the original inspection, which missed the problem, and the quote that is $90 above what I have found to be the true "going rate".