B&Q / Product not fit for purpose

1 Knights ParkTunbridge Wells, England, Kent, United Kingdom Review updated:

We recently bought a shower enclosure from B&Q with an integral wooden drying board. We had it fitted by our own builders but within one month the board had warped and gone moldy. In addition the enclosure does not enclose water so it sprays across the bathroom when we are showering. We have spent the last 2 months trying to get the store to listen to us. They sent 2 men to the view it who wrote a one line email stating the shower head was in the wrong place - this is a lie. We gave them pictorial evidence and delivered a letter stating the 'Sale of Goods Act' as the product is not fir for purpose. The manager of the store refused to read it and has refused to do anything more. We have stated that we do not want a new wooden board as a replacement as this will need to be done on a monthly basis for the rest of the bathrooms life - we have been ignored. We are now about to send the letter to the MD and then we will have to go to the small claims court. I am wondering if we should do a mass action against the company? Can this be done? There seem to be a lot of unhappy people out there who have dealt with B&Q.

Li

Comments

29th of Sep, 2009

I am an employee of B&Q so, as such, I have a knowledge of the B&Q Returns Policy. If a product is faulty and you have proof of purchase, you should be offered an exchange or a full refund, regardless of if you have the product in the store with you at the time. I have to say, I have never heard of such appalling customer service shown by a B&Q store. I can fully understand you not wanting to replace the wooden board of the shower enclosure, but I have to say that writing to the MD won't really get you anything apart from, at best, a standard letter of acknowledgement. A mass action against the company would probably cost a lot more in time and money than what going directly to the store and asserting yourself would do. I would advise you to go directly to the store and demand to speak to the person of highest authority (probably the store manager) and explain everything in detail to them. If you can, take the shower enclosure back so as to illustrate the damage and, if you still have photographic evidence, take them in with you to confront the store manager. If you still get nowhere, write to Trading Standards or Consumer Direct.

Hope this helps

Miss L James

• Sh
      6th of Oct, 2009

As a note, walk in enclosures are NOT water tight, and are described as such in the brochure. Therefore your issue of water spraying is to be expected and you should have considered this when purchasing a walk in enclosure.

I have never heard of that happening to a wooden footboard before, perhaps it was not properly sealed and could be exchanged for a different one.

• Mo
      8th of May, 2010

B&Q are appaling - I have declined to even go into one of their depots but on the 6th May I decided I would give them a try so:

I purchased the following:

Oak Effect trim £13.22 - this was very poor in that it was extremely badly assembled and failed on installation.
    Carpet clip and base 2No @ 18.98 ea - So poor that I tossed them into the skip. The clips failed to hold the trim in position and the 'spring' of the carpet and underlay prooved too robust to allow these items to function correctly despite my adherance to the installation instructions.
    Planed Timber £13.80 - So poor, I used it for kindling, despite being wrapped and banded when unpacked was so bent and twisted, it proved completely unfit for purpose.
    c/ architrave £7.24 - So badly twisted and knot-bound, it couldn't be used.
    Stripwood £6.56 - not fit for purpose and disposed of.
    80.00 paid out minus a thirty pound Gift Card and my assurance that I will never step into a B&Q depot ever again and, I will be advising others about the exteremely poor quality of your goods.
    (Copied src.1518) 8th May 2010