BP Canada Shingles / Poor Shingle Life - Bad Warranty!

1 Ontario, Canada Review updated:

Hi All,

My home is only 9 years old and I have a lot of curling, rotting, and blistering going on. It's a BP Citadel 20 yr shingle. Four roofing companies who looked at my roof call it "pre mature shingle deteriation." First warranty claim was denied of course, now under 2nd claim review after I paid an inspector to write a letter to BP. They will probably deny again. I don't know how pre-mature shingle deteriation is not a manufacturer's defect. Ridiculous! I am seeking help from all parties who are interested in filing a class-action lawsuit. If interested in helping please send me a message via this forum. Thanks!

This is what seems to be a generic claim denial letter that BP sends:

Dear Homeowner,
In response to your concerns about the shingles on your roof, located at the above mentioned
address, a thorough assessment of the information in your file was completed. The evaluation of
your shingles confirms they do not exhibit any problems that would be caused by manufacturing
deficiencies.
Roof systems are complex and entail more than quality manufactured shingles. BP Canada stands
behind its products and has the best warranty in the industry, however as no manufacturing
deficiencies were identified; we regret our inability to act further in this matter.
Should you need to have more information about your roof problem, you may choose to hire a
qualified/certified building inspector to identify the cause of your issues.
Very truly yours,
Warranty Services
Building Products of Canada Corp.

BP Canada Shingles

Comments

• Go
      7th of Dec, 2010

That's a real original letter. In fact it is the exact same letter that I got when I filed my claim. That have done nothing for me.

• Be
      11th of Dec, 2010

We ourselfves have had a 10 year failure on 20 year shingles. In fact, our roofer stated everyone who purchased BPoC shingles have had failures as it IS a material defect. However, BPoC is NOT honoring their warrenties, and if they do it will take months to even a year to get the most minimal of compensation.

Though a product issue, the crux of the matter is that it is more a BPoC company issue backing their products. The best advice I can give would be for any to not purchase BPoC products, refuse to allow roofers to use them, and pressure your local vendors and suppliers to cease doing business with them.

The shingles are simply a symptom of the disease...Bad Business.
    I will be posting this and more as many places as I can find.

B.E. Fleenor, Lakeland Michigan

15th of Aug, 2011

Roof shingles were replaced 10 years ago. I confirm the fact that they are deteriorating at a rate that in 2 years I will probably have to replace them. Very sorry to see BP Canada's response with a standardized refusal.

I will definitely do something, but what.
    My first step will be to ask for appraisals and expertise.
    I am only starting now but will you posted

• Bo
      14th of Dec, 2011

I'm having the exact same problem - even got the exact same rejection letter.

Has anyone had success getting them to pay a claim? My shingles are clearly defective - all of them are splitting in half after 10 years - they are 25 year shingles.

9th of Jan, 2012

After 9 years, my 25 year BP shingles were toast. I'm in the process now of going to small claims court, but would be interested in joining a class action law suit.
    namaste2y000@gmail.com

9th of Jan, 2012

Please notify me if you have any knowledge of a class action law suit against BP.
    namaste2y000@gmail.com

20th of Feb, 2012

I have had BP shingles installed on my roof in 2006. They had to be replaced last June again.
    I email BP in Lasalle, Quebec, Canada and advise them to see what they would do. They did not even reply. I have contaced my lawyer and will be filing a claim for 2006 and for 2011. My lawyer mentioned it could take a year but he feels that there is a good chance we could win. I asked BP to settle for the cost of the installation in June which would have been 7, 500 Cad but since they have not replyed I will be seaking damages around 20, 000 Can ( two installs, time lost and some other damages)I will also having some of the BP personell ( VP of operations and production manager) go to court to explain the poor quality of their product ( as least get them in court to waste the day and have them listed on the claim files.I even have pictures to file with the courts. Waiting for the contractor to get me the bills so I can get my lawyer to file early March. Sure wish we had some gouverment protection here in Canada, but this will never happen.
    Don Bowen

20th of Feb, 2012

I got the same form letter denying my warranty. I found out about a class action against BP in London, Ont. 519-679-9660
    Depending what happens to my claim in Small Claims Court, I might join it. You can't double dip though.
    namaste2y

• Ne
      4th of Jul, 2012

I had my shingles replaced in the spring of 2010 with BP Shingles. The first wind storm that fall, with wind gusts close to 80km/hr, I lost shingles on the south side of the roof.
    I called the roofer who did the work and he told me the same story I am reading here.
    After 2 years the shingles now look like the ones I replaced that were 21 years-old.
    The roofer I hired is just as inconsiderate as the bums at BP corporate. I asked him many times to come by and fix the problem and I am still waiting.
    If there is a class action lawsuit against BP I will sign up ASAP!!!

• Ho
      24th of Jul, 2012

Unfortunately we are on a our SECOND time dealing with a warranty issue with BP shingles. Originally installed 20 year shingles in 1993, replaced the first time with us paying AGAIN for labour and disposal of shingles in 2003. We upgraded to 25 yearshingles at that time hoping that would be it for our lifetime in this home. Here we are not even 10 years later and we are having to replace the whole roof again. And pay out labour and disposal of shingles yet again. Given the fact both BP and IKO are under Class Action suits it is time roof warranties, are reviewed and changed to protect consumers. The ethics of the whole industry are some what questionable.

And again unfortunately the Class Action suit does not address those of us in this situation.

• Ne
      16th of Aug, 2012

Our house in Alberta, Canada had BP Roofing instaled when it was built in 1973. This roof curled up & was ready for water penetration by 1983 when we had them replaced with BP 20 year roofing & never thought about making a claim to BP after the roofer stated that it was past his 2 year warranty period. Well 1998 came and again the BP roof curled up & lost tons of agrigate into the eaves so with the advice of a reputable roofer we again went with the stated improved 25 year shingles of BP. Well here it is 2012 and a repeat of the past caused us to make a claim to BP which took them 2 months to act on. After thier inspector looked at the roof I had to call them numerous times before they sent me the rejection letter that stated "Our manufacture warranty only covers manufacturing defects which may result in water leakage."ect./ect. We had 3 roofing companies look at the roof plus a Roof Report done which states that "the Shingles have reached the end of their usefull life". Please let me know how we can get involved in a Canada Class Action against BP ??

• Dp
      22nd of Aug, 2012

I got the same runaround when I tried to get them to cover my 25 year shingles that totally failed after 12 years - the company that installed them - Emond Roofing Winnipeg wouldn't even come out after over a dozen calls & promising each time they would.
    If anyone has any info on class action law suit in Canada please post on this bulletin board. I am aware that American tv channels are advertising around supper hour each day that a class action law suit is in progress & entry into it must be done prior to September 15th.
    dpollen@mts.net

• Ar
      22nd of Aug, 2012

The big question I have is how do we find the link to the lawsuit to sign on,

• Ke
      30th of Aug, 2012

my shingles were purchased in 2005, they were supposed to be 25 year shingles, in 2010 my shingles started to curl up, also leak, when i brought it up to order desk at the hardware store, in pembroke ont, i was told that i get what i paid for .what is this you get what you paid for, no one can replace there shingles or afford it .i would like to know, who or how do i get help in this matter. oh yes i am from deepriver ont .

• Ir
      3rd of Jun, 2013

You all have but 16 days left (until June 20th 2013) to be part of the class action suit against BP that was settled last January. You can get the details here; http://www.bpreglementbardeau.com/Home.aspx?case=bpcanada&ln=EN Good luck to you!

16th of Dec, 2013

Yup!

Same up in Canada. Rotten shingles. NO warranty. We're having a class-action up here, but the weasels at BP use whatever excuse they can to side-step responsibility.

My folk's place was built without vents. Somehow the original shingles lasted nearly 25 years and only were replaced when the insurance weasels scared them into replacing them.

10 years later, the shingles were finished. BP says they were improperly installed. The installer told us that it was because of the trees on our property.

I’m going to sue them personally in our small claims court.

Feel free to contact me if you need help.

Of course, when you’re a crazy @#%^&* you spray all over the place.

Nothing like bad press in the town.

Douglas Sweet

16th of Dec, 2013

Pictures from above comment.

Douglas Sweet

• Ga
      23rd of Mar, 2014

Hello, I found the debate so I send photos of my roof from Slovakia. Gabriel.

• Ga
      23rd of Mar, 2014

photos

• Se
      10th of Jun, 2014

BP decisions are made by clueless minions who sit at their desk in Quebec and analyze pictures of your roof from hundreds of miles away instead of sending a reputable investigator to research their sub par shingles. It's a wonder they are still in business. BP plays both sides of the fence. When you are looking to purchase their shingles you are told about their no questions asked warranty. When the shingle fails they deny everything.Do not buy the Canadian lemon. There are great shingle manufacturers in the USA who produce a far superior product.