BP (Break Place) / pre pay gasoline

Lawrence, KS, US Review updated:

Today I went to a BP gas station near my work on my lunch break. I pre-paid inside for $20 worth of fuel and I also purchased an item inside the store. That's the whole reason I paid inside, so I wouldn't have to use my credit card twice (once at the pump and once inside). When I left I got in my car and drove off, forgetting all about the gas because I was in a rush to get back to work. When I pulled up into my work parking lot, I had realized that I forgot the gas, so I drove back to the gas station. I was gone from the gas station for 5 MINUTES. When I arrived, I pulled back up to the same pump I had pre-paid at, went inside and told the cashiers what had happened. They told me that a guy had gone to the same pump and that my pre-paid gas went into his damn car! I could understand if the guy just pulled up, noticed that it was pre-paid, pumped the fuel and left... BUT he went inside and told the cashiers what happened. Which is still unclear to me because every pump is pre-pay. He was trying to be honest about it, and they told him to go ahead and leave and not to worry about it. THEY DIDN'T CHARGE HIM ANYTHING! Technically, to me, this is STEALING! They should have made him pay $20 cash and apply it towards my gas when I showed back up. Did they think I wouldn't ever have noticed? Well I hope he enjoyed his free gas. I'm a college student and drive an hour to and from school everyday. I can't afford to loose any money. Whether it be $5 or $20! I could not find a main office number to contact. I'm working on it and believe me... they will be hearing from me. Needless to say I will NEVER spend another dime at ANY BP location!

Comments

• Bp
      Dec 03, 2009

i work at a bp gas station and i can honestly say that this happens more often than you think. what could of happened was that you prepaid for your gas and the man pulled up after you and tried to use his credit card outside and when he thought it was approved then he started pumping. so needless to say the man probably thought that he was pumping gas with his own credit card. the employees i can't say anything about. maybe they were new and didn't know what to do but it is not a cashiers responsibility to make sure you get what you came in for. we are busy too.

just because you are in a hurry doesn't make it our problem. sorry

Mar 31, 2010

This all would have been fine and dandy if it were true. However, the man came into the gas station and told the cashiers that he had just put someone else's gas in his car and OFFERED to pay. If the cashiers wouldn't have been so busy playing footsie and pulled their heads out of each other's ### they would have made the guy pay, set the money aside, and waited for me to return so they could designate a pump for me to get my gas. They were not busy when I made my first trip there nor when I returned 5 minutes later. Regardless, I got ahold of the owner and got my gas. It's a done deal.

"it is not a cashiers responsibility to make sure you get what you came in for. we are busy too."
    Last time I checked, It IS your responsibilty. IT'S YOUR JOB!

Apr 02, 2010

It's your fault that you left without pumping your gas. Your fault and no one else's. I'm happy for you that the owner reimbursed your gas and you should be extremely thankful to him because that is a rarity. If you weren't in such a hurry you wouldn't of threw away $20 like you did. I mean how do you literally walk into a store and hand someone money and then tell them what you want and then go outside and drive off. That is your problem that you were such in a rush. No gas station is going to hire a "gas pump babysitter" to basically watch and see if everyone gets their gas. At my store we are way to busy for that. If we catch someone driving off without there gas then we will pull their money for them until they realize and come back, but more often than not we don't catch it and that's not because we aren't good at are jobs. It is because we get too busy to watch every little thing. If someone does happen to drive off without their gas and someone else pumps it and they don't tell us then we will give the "[censored] who was in a hurry" our bosses phone number to call to make them happy but all the owners will say is there is nothing they can do about it. Your fault.

Do you work at a gas station/convenience store? I don't think you do, so I guess you really don't know what the responsibilities are, right? Hmm, interesting revelation there. I would love to know what you do for a living so that I can personally tell you how to do your job since you know how to do everyone else's. Apparently it's a lot of fun and I would love to give it a go.

Apr 05, 2010

First off, I never said that it wasn't my fault that I forgot to get my gas. And yeah, I am the "[censored] that was in such a hurry I forgot my gas". Ever hear of a timed lunch break? I had a lot of ### on my mind, so? It happens. The thing that I'm ### about is that when I went back the cashier told me that he gave my gas away!!! I wouldn't have gotten so fired up if he had lied to me and told me that someone just came up and took it and left, but he stood there and explained to me in detail what had happened and it royally pissed me off. Maybe he should have lied to me, then I could be angry at the "### who stole my gas"? I know it was my fault for driving off, but it's the whole concept that the customer was trying to be honest and offered to pay and was told he was "free to go and not to worry about it" THAT is the big issue here. I used to go to that gas station all the time, and the cashier I dealt with knows who I am and knows that I came in frequently.

No, I do not work at a gas station/convenience store. But I have worked my fair share in the retail world and I know that customer satisfaction is one of the main priorities. I don't appreciate your smartass remarks and I don't feel the need to explain my job to you either. I'm not bashing you, and I'm not saying that your job isn't easy. I just had a bad experience and I wanted it to be known.

Apr 05, 2010

Me asking what you did for a living was a rhetorical question. And gosh I wonder what a timed lunch break is. At my job we don't get breaks. We get to eat and do everything else while we wait on our customers and no that is not your problem but at least be thankful for what you have. Yes, customer satisfaction is one of the main priorities in retail but it would help a lot if some of the customers weren't so stupid sometimes. And I do want to point out that I work at a busy store and I don't know if the one you went to was busy or not but a lot of my customers are regulars and I know them. Then you have those people that think the cashiers know them but they really don't. If you aren't "memorable" (good or bad) then they probably won't know who you are even if you came in the store everyday. It's impossible to remember every single customer that walks through the doors of a store in a day. Sorry but it is not going to happen.

I didn't really appreciate you telling me that it is my responsibility and my job to make sure that the customer didn't leave anything. I am currently a cashier and not a babysitter. If you are old enough to go into a store and buy something yourself, then you should be able to remember what the hell you went in there for and remember to take the ### with you when you leave. If you don't then too bad.

Apr 05, 2010

The cashier was my friends little brother, so he does know who I am. Also, I am not use to pre-paying for my gas inside, I always pay at the pump. Which is probably a big part of why I didn't even realize that I had forgotten it. I've seen that place pretty busy before, but it was really slow around the time I was there. If I had just gone in to pay for only gas I would feel like one of your "stupid customers", but I went in to get a pack of smokes, which was my main reason for even going to the gas station and figured that I would just fill up my tank while I was at it. Anyway, I felt that the cashier could have done more than he did, he just blew it off. I was directing this complaint more towards the individual, not every bp employee.

this is pointless. just go to 7-11