Boulder's Natural Animal Hospital / Unethical behavior!

1 685 S BroadwayBoulder, CO, United States Review updated:
Phone: 303-494-7877

[protected] When I brought my cat into the clinic because another cat had bitten her, Dr Silver drew blood as part of the treatment. In the examining room before treatment, I asked Dr Siver for an accounting of expected charges so I would be prepared when I picked up my cat. Dr Silver explained the associated charges and gave me a written estimate of 283.25

When I picked up my cat, I was charged over $50.00 more! When I had the audacity to question his bill given the estimate, the man went beyond rude, I thought he would stroke out. Turns out the additional charge was for his "fee" which was not listed on the original estimate. This was a charge I knew nothing about. He says his receptionist should have told me. She hadn't. I think in that case, that's his in-house issue not mine under duress. Why not just line-item this fee on the written estimate? Why should it be presumed the customer knows? Seems like a very underhanded tactic to me, not to mention his unwarranted rudeness and downright nastiness.

His solution? He decided, without conferring, to keep his "fee" and forgo processing my cat's bloodwork! He decided to make sure he paid himself at my cat's expense. This from a man who states on his written estimate "... be assured that the health of your pet is our highest concern..."

I don't think so. I never went back.

Jo

Comments

• Er
      17th of Mar, 2008

Please also see my complaint about Dr. Silver by searching for "Boulder's Natural Animal."

• Dr
      1st of Aug, 2008

I am the Dr Silver referred to in the above complaint. I would like to tell my side of this story. The estimate I gave this person did not include the charge for the office call/exam, which was $50 as she had mentioned. Since I had already examined the cat, that charge had already been incurred, so it was not put on the estimate. I had no way of knowing that this person did not understand that. It was in fact she who made a big stink about it, but I am very sorry for her misunderstanding and reaction to that situation. All of the folks at BouldersNaturalAnimal do have the highest concern for our patients' well being.

• Wh
      10th of Dec, 2009

You cannot change medical negligence because an individual has to pay more on a bill. This is technically slander and you could be sued for saying it in a public forum.

• Js
      20th of Apr, 2010

I imagine someone thinking of taking their pet to Dr Silver would read the above complaint and it may deter them from giving him a try. It is disappointing that any disgruntled person can go on the internet and attempt to slander another person, and us as the readers, do not know the entire story. We weren't there to witness what actually occurred. It is a shame. These comments and reviews can be a great source for some honest information, but instead very often it is the opposite. Sounds to me as if there was a honest misunderstanding about money and fees charged. This happens so often in a doctor's office and it is difficult for either party to be happy with the outcome. All too often we only think about money and it tends to cloud things. I would take the above complaint with a grain of salt. It speaks nothing to the quality of care Dr Silver and his staff provide which is ultimately the most helpful information in reading these reviews.

• Jm
      7th of Oct, 2010

Just an FYI, Boulder's Natural Animal is under new ownership as of 9/21/10. Dr Stacey Adams and Dr Liv Brockmann purchased the practice from Dr. Silver.