Borders Books / Store policies
It's not even Thanksgiving yet, but the lines are 15 minutes long at Borders. This is for 10 people and 3 cashiers, and why? Because the policy at Borders is apparently not to ring up your purchase and go on to the next customer. No, the policy is to ask "Do you have a Borders card? Would you like one?" and spend 5 minutes per customer selling the advantages (ha!) and gathering information... There's some other program too, a card on top of a card, which takes another 5 minutes...
I finally got to the front of the line, already had a Borders card, so I was spared the sales pitch. I was buying a couple of paperbacks -- "Buy one, get one 50% off" and "use your Borders card and get another 10% off". Only the Borders card wouldn't work -- I hadn't registered an email address. I told them I didn't want to share my email address, and they told me that I couldn't have the extra 10% discount. Fine, keep your books.
I came home, and (as usual) did a search at bookfinder.com. I found both books for LESS than I would have paid at Borders, and that was with shipping included. More and more I find I just use Borders as a place to browse and find books I want to buy, then come home and buy them online. Sure, I don't get to read them for a week or so, but I also don't have to stand in line and waste my time. Borders, you can either sell books or you can collect customer information, but if you collect information and waste my time I probably won't be buying my books from you. They're cheaper elsewhere; the only reason for me to patronize your brick and mortar store is convenience. Standing in line for 15 minutes and then not getting the price you advertised unless I'm willing to give you my email address is not convenience, it's annoyance.
More Borders Books Complaints & Reviews
- Barnes and Noble - unauthorized membership renewal charges 
- Barnes And Noble Member Card - member card 
- Barnes & Noble - advertised price vs in store price 
- Barnes and Noble - fraud 
- Barnes & Noble - barnes and noble falsely advertises & fast and free & delivery 
- Barnes and Noble - customer account access
- Barnes & Noble - gift card issues 
- Barnes and Noble - nook sales associates 
- Barnes & Noble - book order number: 4041433011
- Barnes & Noble - barnes & noble credit card dishonest advertising