Borders Books / Store policies

CA, United States Review updated:

It's not even Thanksgiving yet, but the lines are 15 minutes long at Borders. This is for 10 people and 3 cashiers, and why? Because the policy at Borders is apparently not to ring up your purchase and go on to the next customer. No, the policy is to ask "Do you have a Borders card? Would you like one?" and spend 5 minutes per customer selling the advantages (ha!) and gathering information... There's some other program too, a card on top of a card, which takes another 5 minutes...

I finally got to the front of the line, already had a Borders card, so I was spared the sales pitch. I was buying a couple of paperbacks -- "Buy one, get one 50% off" and "use your Borders card and get another 10% off". Only the Borders card wouldn't work -- I hadn't registered an email address. I told them I didn't want to share my email address, and they told me that I couldn't have the extra 10% discount. Fine, keep your books.

I came home, and (as usual) did a search at bookfinder.com. I found both books for LESS than I would have paid at Borders, and that was with shipping included. More and more I find I just use Borders as a place to browse and find books I want to buy, then come home and buy them online. Sure, I don't get to read them for a week or so, but I also don't have to stand in line and waste my time. Borders, you can either sell books or you can collect customer information, but if you collect information and waste my time I probably won't be buying my books from you. They're cheaper elsewhere; the only reason for me to patronize your brick and mortar store is convenience. Standing in line for 15 minutes and then not getting the price you advertised unless I'm willing to give you my email address is not convenience, it's annoyance.

Comments

• He
      Oct 19, 2009
    Borders Books - No answer
    Borders Books

I pre-ordered a book on Borders.com. I also ordered a second book. Since the first book was in stock I was charged for both books and the first one was shipped right away. The second books was released for the first time two months later. I waited two weeks. I called customer service and talked to a representative, she told me that she could see where I paid for the books and that one was shipped. She said she would get back with me by email. I heard nothing back. I tried to call, the representatives see my account online, they hang up on me immediately with out a word. I made a Better Business Bureau complaint, they emailed me that something went wrong with the order and I was never charged for the book. I have a credit card statement that says other wise. They will not respond to the Better Business Bureau complaint, they will send me the book, they will not give me my money back, and now won't answer my emails or talk to me on the phone.

• Lj
      Mar 08, 2010

Yes, these Borders fellows are the best thief or robbers I have meet on my life. It has happened me the same !! Please, do not buy on this firm, you do will lose you many!

• Ra
      Jun 21, 2010

I visited the Borders store, which is located on 6103 North Lincoln Avenue, Chicago.
    The environment of the store is very unwellcomming, and the cashiers are very rude. I have been to this store before, and I have been having the same impression too. The manager, who worked on Sunday, was very polite and helpful. He is a male. However, there is a female working during the week in the evening who seems to be looking for a guy. As many times I go there with my boyfriend, she is trying to seduce him. She keeps passing by him on purpose, smiling at him, giving him the eye and bending at him as some easy girl. I have been told the same information by other girls going there with their boyfriends. In addition, she is using her power in her premises in order to make two people break up. I had a coupon for 40 percent. She didn't accept it. She kept attempting to seduce my boyfriend by thinking that I will start acting unprofessionally because of the fact that she didn't let me use the coupon.Other girls have told me the same think. However, she can not expect to break two people with a strong bond by bulling and teasing the girl. The guy will prefer to stay with the girl he is with rather than going for a mean and rude one. A real bully! After that we went to the store located on 4718 North Broadway Avenue. Unlike the store on Lincoln Avenue, the people in the borders store on Broadway Avenue were very polite and helpful. In additon, they accepted my coupon. Of course they will accept it since there was not any pervert manager. I told my man that I don't want us to go anymore to the Borders on Lincoln Avenue because I didn't like how I was treated, and he agreed with me. Other girls have done in the same way. Not only my friends but also my relatives will not go there shopping any more. This pervert store manager makes the store loose lots of money. If Border owners don't want to have a bad reputations and losing money because people want a wellcomming environment where they be treated professionally and with respect, they need to change the manager who is seducing her customers . If the pervert store manager needs a guy, I would suggest that she goes to craigslist.com or clubs.

• 1c
      Jul 09, 2010

I was a frequent Borders customer until a few months ago. The manager at this store made an inappropriate comment to which I responded by filing a complaint with the General and District management, and they did not respond. If I am not the only person to be wronged by any Borders employee I encourage you please make yourselves known. This "sweep-it-under-the-rug-because-we're-corporate-and-we-can" way of dealing with bad behavior is unacceptable, even if it's a trivial offense that you can forgive, doing so will teach them we won't be hush hush and they can't get away with such actions!

• Oc
      Oct 26, 2010
    Borders Books - Returns
    Borders Books

I returned a book, that I didnt end up needing, back to borders.com. They told me they received the book exactly a month after I shipped it. I find this hard to believe. Since it was "over 30 days" they will only give me a gift card in return. Well, its been over a month now and nothing. For the past month I have been getting the run around from their customer support telling me it will be here on "x" but that day comes and it doesnt show. So today I called and asked since I had to pay to return it to them, and am being forced to receive a gift card, can I have the money I paid for shipping included on the card. I was told no because I should have used fedex to ship the book back because its free from fedex, instead of using USPS and that was my problem. Ok, well no where did it say on my packing slip to return items through fedex, nor does it say anywhere on their website to use fedex to return items for free, so I feel my request is justified. Especially since if I wanted a gift card I could have just taken it to the store down the street from me and been done with this already. Oh, and yet again I was told to wait until monday for my gift card to return. This is ridiculous that a company such as borders is giving their customers such a hard time, and straight up refusing to accommodate their customers. I'm tired of wasting my time being on hold with them for them to just tell me the same exact thing over and over again. The way they are running their online business is childish.

• Po
      Nov 23, 2010

Many companies are short staffed due to economic difficulty.

I love Borders. They have a great selection and the rewards card is pretty nice. I often buy books on Amazon.com just to save money, but often borders has great clearance.

If you have a problem with sharing your email, create a "junk" email for purposes of things like this. Just a quick hotmail and gmail address that can be used to sign up for stuff.

• Co
      Mar 31, 2011
    Borders Books - staff
    borders
    Sacramento
    California

i was in borders books a few days ago and i heard a customer ask for a manager. when the manager came out he was very rude and used words like screw it and crap and was being really rude to the customer. the customer wanted a discount on something and the manager was just being nasty and saying stuff like we can't do it, its not gonna happen but your just gonna keep complaining arent you? even if the customer was wrong, there was no need to be so rude in front of everyone. i asked the girl his name and she said it was Tom. i dont know who he is if hes the main manager but he shouldnt have that job.

• Po
      Mar 31, 2011

You don't really know the entire situation. Maybe something prefaced it that you missed?

• Ti
      Jun 27, 2011
    Borders Books - Bad Online Experience
    Borders Books

Below is a copy of my original letter to Borders.com informing them of my experience while shopping online. Below that is their response, and finally, my response to them. I have removed personal information such as my username & membership number. It is ironic that I even told them in my initial letter that I would post their response publicly. One would think this would have told them to be careful in their response, perhaps read the letter and think about the content of my reason for contacting them. Consider that I had spent at least 30 minutes online with their website, then called their support line, then spent the time to write them of the experience. Please enjoy their ignorance.