BooksDirect / Awful company,scam, terrible customer service, cheats!!

1 Hargreaves Road, SN99 9XXSwindon, United Kingdom Review updated:
Phone: 08444990000

I can't stand books direct, I only joined so I could get F Secure virus protection for £4.99 but to close the account I have to wait for ages to get to a human being on the phone and then I had to buy two more books to actually close the account, I seriously don't believe they will close my account and say it will take 2 to 3 weeks...what a load of old b******s...how can it take that long, anyway everytime I try to close the account they try to offer me their annoyingly crap offers and I always receive books I don' t want then I HAVE to phone and spend my hard earned cash on a phone call to get them sent back, then their dodgy delivery service are a couple who live in this area and whenever you phone their number to receive or get rid of books it doesnt ring but goes straight to answer phone because they 'have it set up like that' :-/ then the woman says I never leave a message...and during the message they pick up...WHY NOT JUST PICK UP WHEN IT RINGS LIKE ANY NORMAL PERSON, I am so stressed out with this company I feel like I want to ram their crappy books down their stupid throats...and charge them for it. If only the public had a service where they could get free legal advise and help with dodgy companies like this, I'm sure I could have closed the acccount for free, what if I had no money at all and in dept, in fact I have no money and openly told them that when she beat me up verbally about closing my account, I had to ask 3 times and each time she offered me the same deal, I seriously dont believe she has closed it at all, in fact she even said she will put a note on the account to say I want it closed...just CLOSE IT!!! I wish I'd just bought F-secure for £90 odd quid now, it would have been more worth it :-(
arghhhh

My main reason for closing which I haven't noted in detail above is because of the terrible customer service which costs me so much money to listen to an automated voice, if I didn't keep pressing the # button I would be there all day, the very final and well hidden button choice that I actually need is so well covered up and 'last of the line' that an MI5 agent couldn't find it if he tried, this button is the button that eventually puts you through to A HUMAN BEING...now I'm not racist, I have no problem with other countries accents or anything like that, or if staff on the other end of the line are from another country, but this company obviously don't understand that it's not my fault that I can't understand a word their staff say, sure it's not their fault, they want a job just like anyone else BUT WHY CAN'T BOOKSDIRECT get it that they should actually keep their customer service centers in THIS COUNTRY or make sure staff can pronounce English properly!! And then after about 10 minutes of expensive overpriced phone usuage time they start to offer me OFFERS...by now I'm tearing my hair out and eating my phone. I'm not one for getting angry with staff but these people are trained to really hit the anger spot, they're like human spam, human crappy offers flying through your letterbox, finally once I've very worryingly given my card details over (and it is worrying because it's worrying, normally you feel comfortable giving your card details to a big company but this one gives me the ...what's the word; heeby jeebys, who knows whats going to happen to me cash) and I have to do it because I HAVE TO buy two more books to close my account. They then change the subject, ignore the fact that closing my account is what I asked in the first place and I have to REPEAT it AGAIN...and it's like this everytime I've HAD to contact them. They used to send me the 'editors choice' a horrible money making scheme that again has a very hidden way of stopping said 'editors choices' being sent to you and you being charged for, and as I work shifts the books never get to me as they need a signiture...so I had to phone the delivery service which as i said is a stupid 'straight to answer phone, phone set up' and try to get these people to re deliver so i can sort out what it is they have done arghhhhh!!! Awful awful awful company, I'm so annoyed I can't explain the rest!

Please please PLEASE keep away from this dodgy company, unless you happen to like spam and dodgy customer service and hidden expenses and damn well obvious expenses and never ending phone calls then please be my guest, you will love it.

The books aren't even that great, I especially love how hard backs are actually just paper but thicker, typical!!!

Comments

• Uf
      25th of Nov, 2008
    BooksDirect - Sending Items Out of My Interest
    BooksDirect
    United Kingdom
    booksdirect.co.uk

I received two books entitled, " Silks" and "Deadly Intent " by the Editor's Choice. I believe I was shipped these books in error as I hadn’t ordered such books titled " Silks and Deadly Intent " and to date I have surprisingly received .

• Br
      10th of Feb, 2009

Terribly rude and unknowledgable staff, as i have become used to whenever i deal with indian call centres no matter which company they are representing.

• Si
      26th of May, 2009

BOOKS DIRECT ARE CON ARTISTS - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THEM.

I feel exactly the same, I spoke to them (or at least tried) about 2 hours ago and I am still so, so angry. I really don't know how they can get away with it - it has to be illegal. The number I was given was not even ringing, almost like it had been cut off - when it did no-one answered.

If you read the Terms and Conditions it says that you need to purchase a further 4 more books within a year, I did this!!! I was told by the very rude and condesending woman on the phone that I should have read the terms and conditions (which I did) and basically it's my fault that this has happened, also aparently I agreed to stay with them for another year - according to her I spoke to one of her colleagues 3 months ago and agreed to stay there for another year and now have 2 accounts, I never had a phone call and would never agree to stay with a company for longer - not one that is taking innocent people for a ride!

I made the full payment in December but now am being told that because I paid it that meant that by DEFAULT, I agree for them to send me another 26 books (that are crap and I have to pay for) - I told her that I didn't understand but it is basically tough s**t, why is it that you get punished for trying to settle a debt that quite frankly you have not asked for in the first place? The 4 books that I ordered have not ever arrived and the tons of books that they did send were a load of crap, I sent them back with the man who bought them to me, he did not give me a receipt (which I now know I should have got) and I am left wondering now if he is in on the scam??? Apparently the book club never received the books back, I am not sure how true this is though :'(

I can honestly say that this company is the worst around - they take the piss out of their customers and should not be allowed to trade, I can not believe that this has happened to me and hope that no-one else has to deal with them.

Like every one else I work hard for my money and with all other bills and outgoings I can not afford to pay a false debt. I have been advised to call Trading Standards and see what they say on the matter, they have had previous dealings with them so might be able to help.

There is so much more I want to say but I could be here a while, I couldn't agree more with Louisa. Please do not let this happen to you x

• Ju
      26th of Jun, 2009

i am not paying the amount i havent received any books.

• Ol
      6th of May, 2010

Victim.

Worst of all is, I didn't receive any books, and I owe them about £46 and they kept pushing me round and round when I ring. The lines are so fuzzy I can barely understand what's on the other end, nevermind that the person speaks English with a decent accent or not (usually not).

I'd get bad credits rating for products I never wanted or received, because I refuse to pay on matter of principle.

They really need sorting out!

• Mh
      11th of Sep, 2010

I was searching for some terry pratchett books which then I found on the books direct website which I thought "oh cool these are so cheap" so..I signed up and bought them..I didnt see anything about this having to buy X amount of books a year etc...where does it say this!???

I have received the books today...the box was all messed but the books were fine but I am slightly worried they could be fake or something.

I havent signed anything..I also only received an invoice with my screwy box...no agreement..nothing..at all...so I am so confused and also a bit concerned that Im going to start receiving stuff.
    Fortunatly I work in a bank and know the ins and outs of having to actually pay for stuff...so luckily I used my Credit card to pay so if they do try an scam my bank I can get the money back on the insurance but ill be honest..if they do try and scam me i shall be taking a trip to their return address to kick some [censor].