Books Direct / Membership Scam

1 England, East Sussex, United Kingdom Review updated:

I responded to an introductory offer from Books Direct to receive some titles at a greatly reduced price. Acceptance of their offer would commit a customer to subscribe to four or five books a year at their listed price. The set of books duly arrived. After inspecting the titles I decided they were of no interest to me and I duly returned the parcel of books. Fine.
However, I kept receiving email offers and catalogs through the post from the bookseller. I try to reduce the amount of junk mail as much as possible, therefore I went online to have my name deleted from their data base. When I attempted to unsubscribe, the web page asked for a Membership Number. Since I didn’t have a membership number I did not complete the form. The emails and catalogs continued to arrive. I attempted to phone their offices but was unable to connect directly to a representative.
Since the only way to be removed from their data base was to provide a membership number I finally, in frustration, asked for one. That was when I fell into their carefully laid trap. It now appears that, as a member, I have committed myself to accepting their original offer. Which, of course, I did not. I went back to their website and completed the form to unsubscribe. That did not end the matter. I received a notice from a collection agency. Books Direct apparently want to charge me for terminating membership and, apparently, for the books I returned.

More Books Direct Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Lo
      21st of May, 2009

I can't stand books direct, I only joined so I could get F Secure virus protection for £4.99 but to close the account i have to wait for ages to get to a human being on the phone and then I had to buy two more books to actually close the account I seriously don't believe they will close my account and say it will take 2 to 3 weeks...what a load of old b******s...how can it take that long, anyway everytime I try to close the account they try to offer me their annoyingly crap offers and I always receive books I don' t want then I HAVE to phone and spend my hard earned cash on a phone call to get them sent back, then their dodgy develivery service are a couple who live in this area and whenever you phone their number to receive or get rid of books it doesnt ring but goes straight to answer phone, then the woman says I never leave a message...and during the message they pick up...WHY NOT JUST PICK UP WHEN IT RINGS LIKE ANY NORMAL PERSON, I am so stressed out with this company I feel like I want to ram their crappy books down their stupid throats...and charge them for it. If only the public had a service where they could get free legal advise and help with dodgy companies like this, I'm sure I could have closed the acccount for free, what if I had no money at all and in dept, in fact I have no money and openly told them that when she wouldnt agree to closing my account 3 times, I seriously dont believe she has closed it at all...I wish I'd just bought F-secure for £90 odd quid now :-(
    arghhhh

Please please PLEASE keep away from this dodgy company!!!

• Ca
      16th of Jul, 2009

I too was contacted by a Sales Team lady who offered me some books which I said I was not interested in. However, two children's books she pressed upon me seemed good value and I agreed to see them. I stated that I did not want to enter into any kind of contract as I bought books from many places and did not want to be tied in. She agreed that I could buy the books if I liked them and that would be that. I would never have agreed to anything long term anyway.

The books arrived, and although not very good quality, I showed them to my grandchildren and they said they liked them. I sent off the money for them and thought that was that. However since then I have been sent warnings that I have not met my Membership Agreement quota of at least two books and that I owe £20.00. If I do not pay up I will be forwarded to a Debt Collection Agency. I have taken legal advice and I would have had to have signed documents to enter into this kind of agreement and I did not.

Please, please be aware of this scam especially if you are someone older and would be frightened of this harrasment.

• Mr
      28th of Sep, 2009

www.booksdirect.co.uk is a scam. You have no reason to send back their books within a 10 day period or pay for them - they're just trying it on as they have got your details from another database and you more than likely haven't contact them. Absolutely disgusting company. The repetition of books direct to follow will bring as many people as possible to these posts.

books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct books direct
    www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk www.booksdirect.co.uk

• Gp
      3rd of Oct, 2009

Hello.
    Today a courier knocked on my door and gave me a package of 3 books. I didn't knew who or why is sending me these books but I took the package to check it out. I opened it and the books were total bu****t. I then looked at my receipt to see what the hell is going on and try to return the books. But I can't get on the phone with a real human being. I wrote an email that I am not going to pay for those books and I want somebody to come and pick them up.
    I googled the company to see if it is a scam and it brought me to these forums. Now I am really concerned if I am going to have a lot of trouble with Books direct

20th of Nov, 2009

Yes it's all true
    what a scam

I am in contract with them
    they keep sedning me books I dont want
    I called and waited on the phone for ages and have never spoken to someone who speaks clear english
    they tell me I can not stop the books being sent I have to call them every month to cancel this

It costs money and time to send them back

Also once I found out I was in contract and needed to buy 5 books I was annoyed as non of the books are a good price like the deal they lure you in with. The books are actually really expensive.

As I had bought about 4 books I called to cancel my membership. They then informaed me non of the purchases were valid. Each item has to be over £5 and can not be a sale item

Mots items are "on sale", most starting from 50p off so that excludes a who variety

This means if I want to leave the book club I have to stil buy 5 books, over £5 and not on sale. Thats a big enough problem, noon of those books interest me!

WHAT A WASTE OF TIME DO NOT JOIN THIS CONNING BOOK CLUB!

• Il
      19th of Jan, 2010

i'm not surprised to have come across these posts as i too am having the same trouble with these idiots! i'd completed an internet suvey and was suddenly being sent (absolutley crap) books. i am now getting letters sent to my mothers adress, as thats where i was living at the time, telling me that i owe them £50 as i have not bought any books from them, they are also threatening me with debt collection agencies. i refuse to pay them a penny they can just keep sending their threats as i knoew its just to frighten me and theres nothing they can do. discusting.

• El
      5th of Feb, 2010

I sent back the books, and they have mysteriously not received them. They keep sending me letters threatening to take me to court for the books that I didn't even order. I tried to logon to my account to see which books I had been sent in order to fill in the form that they sent me, but it does not appear in the order history. I now can't logon, and I know I haven't changed the password! AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE!

• El
      5th of Feb, 2010

I sent back the books to Books Direct, and they have mysteriously not received them. They keep sending me letters threatening to take me to court for the books that I didn't even order. I tried to logon to my account to see which books I had been sent in order to fill in the form that they sent me, but it does not appear in the order history. I now can't logon, and I know I haven't changed the password! AVOID BOOKS DIRECT LIKE THE PLAGUE!

• Su
      24th of Mar, 2010

I was a member of books direct for a few years and had no problems till I cancelled my membership. I paid my last bill of almost £50 with them and didn't order again. Some 3 months later I had a credit services company ask me for the last payment which I had previously paid. I caled books direct who advised me the matter was resolved. A week later I got the same call again asking me for proof of payment. I reluctantly showed them proof of payment via email and thought that would be the last of it. Till 2 weeks later I got the same call yet again and asked for proof yet again. I lodged a complaint woth both books direct and the credit company but I am still getting these calls asking for proof of payment. The credit company to date have not sent me written proof they are who they say they are.

• Cl
      29th of Apr, 2010

I have to say that although they have had a pretty dismal customer service repuation for YEARS, they do seem to have pulled their fingers out. Yes, you have to buy five books to 'fulfill your commitment', but to be fair we all know these days that you have to read the small print! It's always mentioned somewhere on there - otherwise it'd be illegal!! The books aren't always the cheapest out there, but sometimes they do have some really good deals. Personally, I like the fact that they recommend books that I wouldn't really have heard of. I suppose that's the point of it being a 'club'. The sale books don't count towards the 5 book total that you need, but they're great if you read as much as I do, and the 3 for 2 offers and stuff like that always get me sorted for my holidays! Basically, if you like books and read lots then having to buy 5 books isn't going to be a problem, and you probably won't even notice you're doing it. And when you have got the 5, then the prices go down again! I can see why people who sign up because of some offer with another company can get annoyed with it, but I signed up because I love books, and I am still a customer.

Also, some of you might (or might not) like to know that they have a cheap bargain site now, where you don't HAVE TO buy anything, and the books are really cheap. www.booksdirectbargains.co.uk

• St
      22nd of Aug, 2010

hi i am sick and tired of books direct they are always sending me stuff and i cannot find a number 2 complain. i have sent loads of emails 2 cancel my membership and i assume that it hasn't been except it. i also got a letter from a debt company and i paid it then a few months later i got another one i then phone and said i payed that and after half an hour of me pushing that i did pay they then said oh so u have. last week my mum had 2 send books back as i have moved out and they are still sending me them. The company is a joke.

• S1
      11th of Dec, 2010

success! I got rid of them by contacting the Citizen's Advice Bureau and allowing the rep to deal for me. They sent an apology letter terminating my agreement. No money or books or packages were asked to be returned. Their debt collection agencies are their internal. I would say stick to your guns. Keep all the receipts and communication (if possible always communicate in letters and do recorded deliveries, there is no use talking to them).

7th of Oct, 2012

I can honestly say that I had no problems with the company...
    If you know what you are dealing with, which a little online research provides, you can then take advantage of them!
    Where else can you order £40 worth of books & not have to pay for months in some cases!!!
    I used to wait until what I wanted was discounted, to prices comparable to or cheaper than Amazon in some cases, and then put a big order in... only paying when legal stuff starts arriving months later!
    They have not sent unsolicited books out for a long time.
    I'm sorry to hear they have gone bump, as I still owe them for my last order!