Bookmasters Dba Atlas / Misrepresentation

1 OH, United States Review updated:

Once you sign a contract with Bookmasters they won't let you cancel the contract even though there is a 30 day clause. I have tried 2 times to cancel the contract, 1st by e-mail and 2nd by mail and they continue to bill me monthly and threaten me with a collection agency if I don't pay. It's a nightmare that doesn't go away. They never distributed 1 book that I know of, I told them to throw the stock away and they continue to bill be to warehouse the books and an administative fee. I don't know what it will take to end the mis billings without spending a bunch of money to hire a lawyer. I've tried repeatedly to get them to resolve this and they ignore all my attempts. Authors beware of this company.

Comments

• Mw
      22nd of Jun, 2011

When Bookmasters distributes a book to the trade, the booksellers require a certain amount of time after the cancellation of the title for an opportunity to return any unsold stock. This is why the account was not closed upon the 30-day notice. Upon notice that the publisher wants to close the account, Bookmasters notifies the trade, who then requires the 10-month return period. This term is very prominent in the trade distribution agreement and can't be missed for anybody who reads the agreement.

In this case, Bookmasters has sold books to the trade for the complainor. However the consumers did not buy the books, so they have been returned by the resellers and the publisher is refusing to reimburse Bookmasters for the value of the returns, which is why the account is nearing the point of collections.

24th of Jun, 2011

This is so untrue. I have all the statements showing that no books ever went out from Bookmasters to anyone. Since none were ever distributed I e-mailed them to throw the stock away to end the storage and admin fees but they never responded accept for threats of collections for services they never rendered. I am am an accountant and have thouroughly read their contract in which they try to bind you without them having to do a thing in return except for sending statements. I have paid them nearly $1000 and monthly fees for nothing from them and I won't roll over and be bullied by this large company who doesn't even have the courtesy to respond to my requests. I would love to go to court with all my proof if I could afford it and be a part of stopping their fraudulent practice of preying on wanna-be-published authors like me. If anyone has had a similiar experience with them please contact me at [protected]@hotmail.com and maybe we can put together a class action suit with a pro bono lawyer.

• Bo
      12th of Nov, 2011

I think you should file a complaint with your state Attorney Generals office. I am certain that they will help you.
    Also, try to get a local TV network to pick up your story.