Bookinhotels.com / Failure to refund owed money

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

Bookinhotels has scammed me too, by not refunding owed money and fobbing me off when i contact them!

Having spoken to my card company and Trading Standards it looks as though im powerless to do anything about getting my money back as bookinhotels have been clever about the way they have set themselves up.

I have decided to write to Watchdog in hope that they can do something about this and make it more public!
I have added a link below to the Watchdog site for people to email their bookinhotels story and hope that if enough people write in then Watchdog will take a look in to this case and do what they can.

There is also a facebook group warning people, please join via the below link. Tell your friends, tell everybody!

Comments

• Em
      2nd of Aug, 2009

I have had the same experience as Monkey.

I have just come back from a weekend in Brussels. I booked with Bookinhotels over a month ago and received my confirmation, voucher and my account was debited immediately. When i arrived to check in on Friday night i was told that bookinhotels had sent a cancellation to the hotel and my booking was no longer valid. After many failed attempts at calling their customer service, i sent them an email and received an email a day later saying:

We regret to inform you that due to the financial issues between our supplier and us we cannot honor your booking therefore full refund is going to be made to your credit card provided.We sincerely apologize for the late notification. For any questions or concerns, you may contact our customer representatives via e mail or via our contact phones at any time. This is a very regrettable incident and we are very sorry indeed.
    Thank you for your kind understanding.
    Kind Regards

I then replied - asking when exactly and for more information and was given this response:

Please note that refunds will be made in the form of a credit to your card account. All credit card refunds will be processed in a timely manner. Typically, this process takes several weeks (business days) for the instruction to leave our company account. The refunds process depends on your billing cycle with the cooperated credit card company. Once the refunded amount leaves our company account, it may take up to two months time for the proceeds to appear back in your account.

Bookinhotels.com

Whenever i try to call their Customer Service i get no response or an answering machine. I have yet to understand WHEN i will receive my money back or to speak to a responsible person in charge. I spoke with the hotel i had initially reserved my booking with and they were more than helpful, providing me with copies of all confirmation/cancellation documents.

As it currently stands, i am over 300€ out of pocket because i had to pay last minute rates for the hotel at my destination and also the amount initially charged.

In my humble opinion - Do not book with this company.

• Pe

Hi,

I have booked with this company a Hotel in Alghero (Italy) and they sent me an email three days before arriving to Alghero, where they indicated me that they have canceled the hotel and they were going to refund the money.

Until now I have not received the money and don't know if I am going to get it...
    They always send you the same email:

Please note that refunds are made in the form of a credit to your
    card account. All credit card refunds are processed in a timely
    manner. Typically, this process takes several weeks (business days)
    for the instruction to leave our company account. The refunds
    process depends on your billing cycle with the cooperated credit card
    company. Once the refunded amount leaves our company account, it
    may take up to two months time for the proceeds to appear back in
    your account.

Bookinhotels.com

They have telephone in USA and UK, but all these telephones number are redirected to a turkish telephone number.

It is a FRAUD!!!

DO NOT BOOK WITH THIS COMPANY!!!

• De

i was scammed too :(((

• Ag

Hi

I'd like to warn everyone against the "dishonesty” of bookinhotels.com (Istanbul - Ozar Turizm Ltd Sti Istanbul Cagaloglu Turkey 34110 902125146510).
    I reserved accommodation in the hotel in Malaga on bookinhotels.com web.
    Money was taken from my account, I received confirmation and voucher; however, day before the departure I was told that my reservation is cancelled. Bookinhotels claim that they did not receive the money. I sent all documents to Istanbul but I don't have any contact with them. I submitted the case on the police in Turkey, I did not receive any answer. I placed many complaints, e.g. to econsumer.gov. (worth to do).
    I'd like to sue them.
    My advice is: Stay out of this firm!
    More then that - they don't inform on their webside that it's turkish firm, there are only amerikan and british telephone numbers, therefore the tourists think, that firm is American or British.

Agata

• Pe
      20th of Aug, 2009

I had booked a hotel room in Reykjavik for two nights 15-17.8 already in the beginning of June. I paid for it by Visa. When arriving there last Saturday the hotel told us that the room had been cancelled. I got a copy of a fax and the cancellation had been done by Miki Travels based in England.

Fortunately the hotel wasn't fully booked, so we got a room for about 50 % more than I already had paid to bookinhotels. So the final price was 250% of what bookinhotels originally offered me.

Does anybody have good suggestions or experience how to get money back?

Erik from Finland

21st of Aug, 2009

I have also had the same problems along with my father and we are both trying to get our money back.

We booked our hotel on 17 june 09 and two days proir to leaving I received an e.mail saying the booking had been cancelled to which I checked with the hotel who confirmed this was the case.

I contacted my father who had not received anything. He contacted the hotel who confirmed his booking had also been cancelled.

I sent e.mail of complant and received a reply stating the refund would be made between 10 - 15 dyas time.

On 12 August 2009 I sent another e.mail asking where my money was and got a reply which was frankly quite shirty stating they had already told me it was being processed.

I sent another today saying they had had there 15 days and more and am quite within my right to ask when I will get my money back. I am awaiting a reply!

I am a little worried as I contacted my credit card company today who said it was up to me to get the money and not them... Now I have the legislation about how to get my money back I will make a start.

DON'T USE BOOKINHOTELS!!!

Frustrated and out of pocket
    Chrissie from England

• Zs
      2nd of Sep, 2009

Zane from Latvia
    I have also the same problems. I had booked hotel in London on 10. 02.2009. for 5 nigths of travel 11.08.--16.08. Money was taken from my account, I received confirmation and voucher; however, when my daughter with her friend come in hotel, was told that this reservation is cancelled. I had not e-mail before receive.
    I sent e.mail of complant and received
    Thank you for your kind understanding.
    Kind Regards

DO NOT BOOK WITH THIS COMPANY!!!
    My advice is: Stay out of this firm!

• Ji
      6th of Sep, 2009

Jim Cheshire, I booked a hotel through bookinhotels.com on the 29/06/09 for a double room etc for the 11/09/09 to the 14th/09/09 I thought I would double chedk to see if my hotel had been booked, I tried to telephone never got an answer, I emailed 5 times never got a reply, so i phoned the hotel inquestion who said no reservation had been made and this as happened before with people booking through bookinhotels.com, so then I contacted consumer direct through my local council, and they told me to go on the website for consumer direct and download a letter about the 1974 consumer credit act section 75 and this puts onus on the credit card company as well as bookinhotels to repay me the money owed, as they are liable as well, on the template you just fill in the details relevant and send a copy to the legal dept of the credit card company recorded or special delivery, and on to bookinhotels and give them 14 days to refund the money into your credit card account, hope this helps other people to get the money back

10th of Sep, 2009

I HAVE BEEN SCAMMED TOO!!! I WENT TO MY COUNTRY'S ELECTRONIC CRIME UNIT AND THEY ASKED ME TO PROVIDE THEM WITH THE IP ADDRESS OF THE COMPANY THAT CHARGED MY CREDIT CARD. DOES ANYBODY KNOW IT?

• Du
      19th of Sep, 2009

NEVER BOOK THIS BOOKINHOTELS.COM they can not be trusted, i had also bad experience with this company. i made a room reservation to London last June and 2 days before our departure I received e-mail that our booking was cancelled without any reason(incompetent company)I asked wat the reason they said that due to problem with the suppliers and i would be fully refunded within 7workingdays. But until now theres nothing happend, our money is not yet return to my cc. I made many complaints by consumers service but they ignore. Wat kind of busines is this? Telephone can not also be contacted, a turkish voicemail give answer, how could you that understand?
    This site have to be stop, many are already the victims with this thieves company.

• Do
      9th of Oct, 2009

An apalling service, a disgrace to all travel companies and an absolute crime that this has happened to so many people and will continue to happen to hardworking honest people. I have had a muh similar experience today. An e mail arrived to confirm my cancellation, which I never requested. I tried to follow this up with bookinhotels.com by phone, suprise suprise no success. The phone did not connect. I have contacted the hotel and they said that it had been cancelled by Miki Travels in England. I booked in May and as this was over 120 days ago (just) they cannot cover the loss as it is a Visa Debit card, which seems unfair. The UK cosumer complaints cant help because they are based in Turkey. This is disguting! If anyone has any suggestions for a "what next" I would be most grateful

• Ed
      20th of Nov, 2009

BOOKINHOTELS.COM has SCAMMED me too...they cancelled my booking and I have to pay double for my hotel room. It was in June 09. I filled a complain to them told me to wait for the refund which never happened until this very. They never answered my e-mails ever since, and there's nobody pick up their customer service numbers. About 3 months ago I googled the internet hoping to find other victims, there wasn't much of them back then. Not until today I found out, how BOOKINHOTELS.COM has also had their dirty scams on so many people from allover the world. By using the same method of scam and many of us are fell for it. And I don't understand how this kind of website is still allowed to be in the internet. Legal action is definitely to be done against BOOKINHOTELS.COM

• Mo
      28th of Nov, 2009

I have unfortunately had the same experience as everyone else. Being a student it really did put me out of pocket and ruined my holiday. Has anyone managed to get any kind of money back. Is there anyone from Australia that has any knowledge of how we might succeed.
    morgsintheuk00@yahoo.co.uk