BMW / window regulators

Our 1998 bmw 528i has had all the window regulators go bad at least once. The drive window is on its fourth regulator. This is a chronic problem that other bmw models also are having. A friend of mine has had his x5 driver side window regulator fail 4 times. I would not be writing this if bmw had a continuous improvement program to correct these design problems. The moon roof regulator also has this same problem, it was replaced under warranty twice and I had to pay for it once. I have decided not to fix it a fourth time.

It is even hard to find an aftermarket replacement that is not the same design. Bmw needs to support their vehicles after the warranties runs out. The problem in my opinion, is the plastic pulleys, the cables pull right off.

The sad part is I am discouraging friend from buying bmw because of this problem.

Bill

Bi

Comments

Bi
  7th of Aug, 2009

Same problem here. Right passenger window regulator went bad and took it to dealer. They explained that the more you use the window, the better the regulator works(?). Anyway, having no reason to rolldown the rear windows, they offered to replace the first one gratis...since I was only 200 miles outside my warranty. Two weeks later, the left passenger window was rolled down accidentally, and got stuck. Now they want me to pay for it. Why is there no recall on this part?

An
  29th of Jan, 2010

yup, bmw window regulators suck. i've worked on bmw's for 10 years. there is no recall because recalls are for safety and emissions only...for all car companies. all cars have weak points as they are all designed differently. why do people think cars should last forever and everything should be warrantied forever. it's just a machine... YOUR MACHINE! and machines need to be repaired from time to time. also, when you bought it, it had a 50, 000 mile warranty which is better than most other companies. i just don't understand why bmw owners think it's bmw's responsibility to fix they're cars. if you like the car, then replace the window regulators when they break. if you don't like it, buy a different car. and you know what? that car will probably have something else that breaks a lot. because its just a machine.

Pf
  27th of Mar, 2010

I have a 2004 BMW325i and have now replaced two window regulators in 2 months!!! This makes 3 windows in a year and a half. This to me is shoddy work. Seems every time is right after warranty ends.

20th of Sep, 2010

I have a E-60, E-39 and a Mini Cooper (by bmw) I can start my own window regulators repair shop, I change them so many TIMES... Last time I will by a BMW, Thinking of go back to GM...

La
  1st of Apr, 2011

I have driven for 50 years and have owned a number of brands of cars, but I have NEVER encountered a problem with what BMW calls their window regulators. My X-3 has 60, 000 miles on it and I have now replaced both rear window regulators!
When I picked it up last week from BMW Naples, FL, I noticed that now the two front panels are making grumbling noises - so back to the dealership this morning to be told by their Service Consultant that this is a sign that the front two doors are now also about to break. He said he could tell that the "belts are separating". I do not use any of the windows a lot and never, in any brand of car, have I ever encountered such a SHODDY mechanism!

Ke
  7th of Apr, 2011

I have a 2007 328i with 50K miles and I'm being told that both back window regulators need to be replaced on windows that rarely (I can count on 1 hand how many times) get used. I can (reluctantly) see how maybe the driver side or front passenger windows could need to be replaced because of normal wear (that's what I was told - NORMAL WEAR!). I have also had many different brands in my 50 something years and never had more things go wrong with a vehicle.

Ct
  22nd of Sep, 2011

I, too, have replaced 4 regulators and a fifth one is out now, too. I have a 2002 330i that I bought in '04. Has anyone tried to sue BMW? I am thinking of doing so in small claims court. I am tried of sheling out an extra $350 every six months for a window. There has to be a way to make BMW responsible for an obvious design flaw such as this.

Ca
  4th of Jun, 2012

Own a 2003 BMW 325i under 100k miles, and all four window mechanisms have needed to be replaced and the drivers side has needed it 2 times already. I do lower my window every morning to swipe into work but lets be real a BMW should not have these issues.

21st of Jan, 2014

I've been through 2 window regulators in less than a month. How can BMW label their vehicles The Ultimate Driving machine. Normal wear and tear on any vehicle is expected. But to have parts fail repeatedly after just a few weeks is utterly ridiculous.

Da
  28th of Oct, 2016

Even the cheapest cars on the planet don't have this pos design! If your in yhe water, and the window won't go down, this is a safety issue!. If a thug or rapist comes to the car, and the window won't go up, this is a safety issue! In winter, and the window won't go up, this is a safety issue.BMW MADE THIS TRASH AND SHOULD MAKE A NEW DESIGN WITH LIFETIME
Guarantees!... pure garbage!