Bluegreen Vacations / Resorts / sales staff lied as inducement to purchase

This is the company that calls you every day and says you won a free vacation. Then they ask for your credit card!!! Why? Isn't it free? Well, they explain, the "free" vacation costs $700 (or whatever it is that day). Then of course you ask them what you actually won, and they call you names and hang up.

These are the people you would spend THOUSANDS of dollars on? The fact that they are still in business, proves that there really is a sucker born every minute.

Here is what this company is facing in court:

Counts against the defendants, in addition to violations of the fraud act, include deceptive business practices, misrepresentation, nuisance, trespass to plaintiffs’ “time and property,” invasion of privacy and right of association and negligence.

The class action seeks the following penalties: appointment of plaintiffs and their attorney to represent the class of thousands of allegedly injured consumers, a permanent injunction against the alleged practices; requirement that defendants provide free prizes that were promised to consumers; a cease and desist order against defendants’ managers and employees from further described activities; a notification to all victimized club members of a rescinding of their contracts with full refunds; punitive damages in favor of plaintiff class and as a deterrent to defendants, compensatory damages to plaintiffs based on trial evidence and treble damages against the defendants for alleged violations of New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act, plus court costs.

I hope they do time. It would still be more fun than their "free vacation".

Comments

31st of Oct, 2006

Bluegreen is a total rip off!

• Va
      1st of Nov, 2006

It is our goal at Bluegreen Corporation to provide all of our valued owners and guests with professional service and quality resort accommodations and amenities.

As part of our commitment to quality assurance and personal service, we are pleased to report that our representatives have resolved all of the issues presented by Mr. and Mrs. Reilly in their posting. Furthermore, we assisted Mr. and Mrs. Reilly with making a reservation at a Bluegreen resort using their Vacation Points.

We would like to take this opportunity to address the issues mentioned by Mr. and Mrs. Reilly and sincerely hope that by doing so we are able to provide clarity to others who may visit this web site.

In their posting, Mr. and Mrs. Reilly indicated that they have had difficulty making reservations using their Vacation Points. Bluegreen owners may use their Vacation Points to visit any Bluegreen resort based upon availability of accommodations and their account Points balance. While there may be limited availability for some resorts during peak vacation times, there are still many resorts and destinations with availability at most times of the year.

Due to the fact that reservations are based upon space availability, we encourage owners to be flexible with their destination and travel dates, and to make travel plans well in advance in order to increase the likelihood of obtaining their desired dates and destinations. Also, Bluegreen owners may now make bonus time reservations online by logging in to our web site at: www.bluegreenonline.com.

Bluegreen Corporation makes every effort to ensure that our owners are satisfied with their vacation ownership purchase. We have expressed to Mr. and Ms. Reilly that we sincerely want to assist them with maximizing the advantages that the Bluegreen vacation plan has to offer. It is our hope that Mr. and Ms. Reilly will continue to use and enjoy their ownership for many years to come, knowing that Bluegreen is committed to their satisfaction.

• Se
      15th of Jan, 2007

I agree with the Reillys in that Bluegreen sales reps used confusing tactics to persuade me to purchase, and now several years after becoming an owner I still haven't used my points because (1) I've found that my 8,000 points really doesn't get me much unless I want a vacation in Missouri in the middle of January and (2) the process involved in exchanging time with REI is completely ambiguous. REI won't even talk about your exchange until you've completed the process with Bluegreen AND paid them an up-front fee which has gone up about 30% since I joined 3 years ago. The REI thing is a complete gamble if you ask me.

Anyway, what I've learned a few years into this is that it would've been better for me to save the $13,000 I paid up front and just pay for my vacations outright. When you factor in the $400/year that I'm paying for maintenance fees plus the $100/year REI membership, I'm forking out $500/year even if I don't use the points!!! One of their biggest selling points is that you'll save all kinds of money if you just buy into their club because basically you're paying for all future vacations you might take by putting money up front at today's rates, but what they don't point out is that every year for the rest of your life you'll be paying all the other fees associated with their club that amount to a good chunk of change.

I too have tried to sell my property for 2 years without even a single bite. That alone should tell you something. If you're considering buying into this club, just take out a loan for $15,000 cash and then set it on fire in the back yard. At least you won't owe all kinds of yearly fees or have to deal with the headache of trying to book a vacation!

24th of Apr, 2007

Thousands of people own vacation ownership properties, I among them. I have owned timeshare for several years and am quite satisfied. I have taken trips that I otherwise would never have taken had I not owned.
    Any one who is dissatisfied it is because they do not take the time to learn how to properly use their ownership. They then blame others for their lack of knowledge, even though reading their owner kits would solve most of their problems.

You can't satisfy all of the people all of the time. These same people would buy a car and not even read the owner manual to find out how often to change the oil. Go figure. I'm sure we have all met these kind of people.

RCI is the only way to travel if you enjoy luxury and comfort of less than a standard hotel room.

• Da
      21st of Jun, 2007

I have never been so dissatisfied with a business in my life. I was lied to from the beginning when I was told I would have no problem getting a six month extension on my vacation package I purchased. That was the main reason I went ahead and bought it, because I told them I was unsure if I could use all the points up by the end of the year.

Now to add insult to injury, their owner services department are rude and absolutely no help in resolving issues. She was a hateful woman who needs to find a new line of work.

Living in a town where they sell their junk, I will make sure that NO ONE I come in contact with will EVER Do business with BlueGreen. They WILL lie to you to make a sell and do not care at all about their customers. I may not be able to use my package, but they will never sell to anyone I know!

• Ne
      12th of Jan, 2008

Although I have had a pleasant experience with most service providers, the last ones I spoke with did not tell me the facts, I did not verify on policy papers, and lost my 11,000 points; AGAIN. I have read and read my paperwork, kept records of all conversations with them, followed through exactly as told, and still lost my points for a number of years now. They changed the procedure on points which makes it much harder to get a decent season to vacation, and points don't seem to be worth much now. The Mountain Loft property is a laugh-on side of a hill, nothing to do for children, can't walk, is all hills;property sits on side of a hill and when you look out the back window you see a bare red wall of a dirt pit. Must get into car and drive long way to get to anything;Shenandoah in Virginia is so far out in the wilderness on small county roads and dirt road, no street markings it took us forever to find it. All hills there, steep ones, so how could children, seniors, physically challenged people even walk; no landscaping; nothing to do but ride horses. Just a general unkept, undeveloped atmosphere at each facility I have been to. And the furnishings look like they came from some old hotel that closed down and sold off their furniture. The property at Myrtle Beach, is an ugly, utilitarian building with lifts that stink, narrow halls that stink, no decoration, and kids running everywhere without supervision in bathing suits dripping water everywhere on the floors. This one is my home property, but after going and looking at it, have refused to ever make a reservation there. Have mostly used RCI and their properties, which cost more money, plus the yearly fee to belong. I could go on and on but won't. What I hate the most is the monkeying around with my contract and limiting and changing how I can use them that I did not agree to on the contract or since then. Now is impossible to get a vaction on my points; if I use the club it will be one of the bonus or the one you can get at the last minute, and I have to pay for that. I would like to know about all the advertising of homesites by Bluegreen for people to build private homes on. Is this why they are screwing our catagory of owners around to make profit to buy up mountain and resort properties they sell to rich people? They sell us "time" while they reap a tremendous profit while they rob us so they can make more private investment? I want value for my money in this club and I was told I would receive it when we bought it; but have not received that after all these years. I want to be able to get a paper statement of my past history with all my points and what went with all of them, and under what policy my points were zapped off my account and was not even warned or informed that they had done that. MAKE THE POINT SYSTEM, THE CARRYING FORWARD OF THEM AND CUTOFF DATES MORE SIMPLE IN THE WORDING. I THINK THEY HAVE AN OBLIGATION TO SEND OUT WITH MAIL THE USE OR NON USE OF POINTS, WITH STATEMENT OF DATES WHEN WILL LOSE AND WHAT HAS TO DO TO KEEP LONGER. people's lives are so hectic, so stressful, to keep up these complicated dates and things that must be done to keep the points I bought and that are mine is certainly not good business practice to say the least.

2nd of Mar, 2008

Bluegreen Corporation: You have nerve coming to respond on a complaint board naming names. The letter above, that you identified as Mr. and Ms. Reilly, MAY NOT BE them, which then makes you look worse than you already do.
    BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Want your name unmentioned on here? Give GOOD Customer service.. because its YOUR JOB!!!

• Ms
      28th of Apr, 2008

BLUEGREEN IS A SCAM! I AM AN OWNER AND THEY SAY THEY ARE BOOKED WHEN I CALL, BUT I CAN GET ONLINE AND RESERVE THE ROOM. I WENT ON VACATION IN SEPTEMBER (OFF SEASON) TO DAYTONA BEACH SHORES, I CALLED IN MARCH OR APRIL TO BOOK, THEY SAID ALL THEY HAD AVAILABLE WAS DOLPHIN BEACH CLUB. WHEN WE GOT THERE DAYTONA WAS EMPTY SCHOOL HAD STARTED AND IT SEEMED TO BE QUITE. WHEN WE NOTICED THE PARKING LOTS OF THE BLUEGREEN RESORTS WERE EMPTY AND WE WERE IN A RAT HOLE MY HUSBAND AND I GOT ONLINE TO FIND THEY HAD LOTS OF ROOMS AVAILABLE. AND THE PLACE THEY PUT US UP IN FOR THE WEEK WE COULD HAVE GOT ONLINE FOR $242.00 FOR THE WEEK! WE HAD JUST PAID OVER $500.00 IN MAINTENANCE FEES! MY TOUR WAS TAKEN AT MOUNTAIN LOFT AND MY CONTRACT SAID THEY WOULD GIVE ME THE EQUAL VALUE OF THE RESORT I TOURED! WHAT A LIE! I ENCOURAGE ANYONE TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THEIR DAY PASS AT THE HOTEL NEARES THEM AND CATCH THE PEOPLE COMING IN TO TAKE THE TOUR AND TELL THEM WAHT A SCAM IT IS, WE DO HAVE OWNERSHIP, SO WE HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO BE THERE! THIS IS HOW I WILL SPEND MY SUMMER VACATION THIS YEAR AT MOUNTAIN LOFT AND LAUREL CREST, ON THE WEEKENDS, WARNING THE NEXT UNEXPECTING VICTIMS OF BLUEGREEN. IF THERE ARE ANY UNHAPPY MEMBERS IN TENNESSEE PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO WE CAN HAVE SOME FUN!

• He
      31st of May, 2008

I have recently purchase more points from the Adam Smith, a salesperson, from the Fountains resort in Florida. All the complaints that I have read were true; lies about added benefits (countless) in front of your face. I made a mistake of not recording the conversation. If he is still hired by the company to date, Bluegreen must condone unethical practices. Please let me know if there is a class action law suit going on. If this continues, many families will be cheated of a promise that the company cannot deliver.

• Lo
      1st of Jun, 2008

Herman,
    how many points do u have I take it you signed the paperwork and intialed all the boxes say you understood all you were signing for if you did then what is your complaint I have always found Adam (no relation by the way) to be straight forward infact I spoke to him last sunday at The Fountains

• Ro
      2nd of Nov, 2008

There is a lawsuit going on as we speak. It was filed by the ATTORNEY GENERAL in PA.
    If enough consumers come forward in your home state they will be forced to take a good long look at Bluegreen. Then and only then will something be done.
    PLEASE go to your local Atty. Gen.'s Website and fill out the required paperwork- NOW!!
    TELL EVERYONE YOU KNOW WHO HAS BEEN VICTIMIZED by this company. Time is of the essence!! Don't delay- File today!

• Al
      15th of Oct, 2009

i have paid into a vacation with bluegreen for 10 months. this was to be a trial basis and i was entitled to a vacation. I have not taken a vacation with bluegreen and I am requesting a full refund of $1000. how do i go about receiving my refund?

• Sm
      23rd of Dec, 2009

After reading most of the posting I feel my wife and I are lucky we did not sign anything we just took the 50 dollar gift card after it was all over. The sales man we had was samuel padilla he talked about his time in the navy and his wife was killed by a carjacker. He dropped a piece of paper I picked it up and it was his commission report, for july 3194.75, aug 5630.00, sept 6196.00, oct. 2267, nov. 1812.00 dec. 547.00.

Looks like he can make alot of money selling this Bluegreen Resort. This how they can sleep at night they just think of all the money they can make. And I dont see any tax information on the piece of paper. They must cheat the goverment of taxes as well.

After doing some research I think the salesman name and stories he was telling us was all made up.

• Ca
      13th of Feb, 2010

i felt like our salesman who was also samuel padilla was full of it. he also talked about his time in the navy and told us his wife was killed in afganastan. reading these, i am sooo glad i walked out. to anyone interested in buying, its seems to be a better deal to buy 2nd hand.

9th of Apr, 2010

Seems like all the feelings I have felt about Bluegreen is true!! They sold me 10, 000 points and told me that would get me a week a year with points left over... B.S.!! I have booked a stay in New Orleans for this year and guess what... Not only don’t I have enough new points for a whole week (I get 5 days Sat-Thurs). I can’t even use some of the points I have saved from last year to make up the difference! Talk about making you mad as hell... I pay all the maintenance fees and all the other silly little cost and I can’t even get a full week. Bluegreen it’s a shame how you do an owner of many years. Now you raise the bar on the points needed to hold me out of a full week, there has got to be some sort of law against selling something and then changing the rules to benefit the company. I knew timeshare was just away for a company to make money by promising the owner that he/she would be so happy that they invested in something that they could hand down to there children, NOT!!! BLUEGREEN OWNERSHIP IS NOT THE WAY TO GO... also another little note: They charged high interest on their loans no matter how good your beacon score is, that alone should have told me to take the 100 bucks and walk!!!

• Sh
      19th of May, 2010

Well...I discovered the deal with these Bluegreen cheerleaders.
    Ever wondered why someone would come to a consumer complaints site and cheer on the bad guys, the rip off artists, scamsters, crooks and thieves (Bluegreen). I just didn't get it...until I did some research. These guys are paid "REPUTATION DEFENDERS". Companies pay these dirt bags to scour the internet and DEFEND thier practices.
    Proof: Google the following words "reputation defense".

[censor] working for [censor].