Bluegreen Resorts / found one reason why time is never available

I attempted to make a bonus time reservation to any of the properties in Myrtle Beach and was told that nothing was available. I usually check back daily to see if there are any cancellations. Today when I attempted to go the blue green online member site to check I accidentally stumbled across this site on google - www.bluegreenrentals.com

Being curious, I called the 800 # and said I was interested in making a reservation for Myrtle Beach and low and behold they had rooms available - not 1, but quite a few. Bluegreen is marketing these like hotels and charging $150-$225 /night. I then told the CSR that I was a member and could I book 2 nights and of course she said that had to be done thru a different dept. When I told her that the member department told me no rooms were available, she said no, there are some. I asked why Bluegreen was marketing these rooms to the public and not letting members have first priority. Her reply was that within 7 days and rooms are released to the rental site, but if you look on their web site (www.bluegreenrentals.com) you can book months in advance.

Bluegreen is screwing its members by using our properties and renting to the non-member public instead of giving its members.

Has anyone considered a class action suit??

Va

Comments

• Lo
      11th of May, 2008

The reason they go to BGrental is that they are unsold inventory and there they do not belong to the BGvacation club.
    Once those weeks are sold as points they then become available to the vacation club.
    It is the same in all timeshare systems.

3rd of Jun, 2008

this comment is true! It is very difficult to make a reservation and choose your own availablitly. I often wondered what was really going on with the booking system.

• Ru
      11th of Oct, 2008

My husband and I have owned Bluegreen for approximately 15 years. We have had MANY wonderful vacations with Blue Green.

We are now on points and the key is to make your reservations EARLY. Occasionally we can't get what we want but that also happens in hotels and motels.

We have NEVER had a bad experience with Mt. Loft and their sales presentation. We did have a bad experience with The Fountains sales staff and that was a first in 15 years.

We are very thankful we bought our time share and thank Blue Green for many wonderful vacations.

• Ro
      4th of Nov, 2008

The omly reason that you are deede to ANY property is so when you finally refuse to be held hostage to their slimy tactics by refusing to pay they can place a foreclosure on your credit report!!
    SLICK HUH???? Well not anymore- read the following:

HARRISBURG - Attorney General Tom Corbett today announced lawsuits today against four Florida-based companies accused of illegally marketing vacation packages, using "free" airline ticket offers and other worthless prizes to lure consumers into aggressive and deceptive timeshare presentations.

Corbett said consumer protection lawsuits were filed against Bluegreen Corporation, Bluegreen Resorts, Bluegreen Vacations Unlimited, Inc. and Great Vacations Destinations, Inc., all of Boca Raton, Florida. Bluegreen contacted consumers by phone and through kiosks at shopping malls, fairs, and festivals throughout Pennsylvania, and also operates full-time sales facilities in Hershey and King of Prussia.

"Virtually any consumer with a checkbook and a pulse allegedly qualified as a 'winner' in these promotions, " Corbett said. "Unsuspecting consumers who believed they were contest winners were actually drawn into a high pressure bait-and-switch campaign designed to push timeshare vacation packages costing thousands of dollars."

Corbett said more than 5, 700 Pennsylvania residents purchased Bluegreen timeshares, with many paying $20, 000 to $40, 000 or more for packages that violated Pennsylvania's Consumer Protection Law, the Real Estate Licensing and Registration Act, the Telemarketer Registration Act and other consumer regulations.

Phony Prizes
    Corbett said that Bluegreen representatives allegedly called consumers who believed they were entering contests and other promotions promising cars, cash and vacations.

According to the lawsuit, consumers were told that they had not won the "grand prize, " but had been selected to receive other items, like free airline tickets. Consumers were also promised free gasoline and meals when they collected their prize, if they attended a 90 minute timeshare presentation.

Corbett said the lawsuit alleges that consumers who were contacted by Bluegreen were not actually randomly selected prize winners. Instead, virtually everyone who entered the contests was contacted and falsely told that they were a prize winner.

In one case, Corbett said a consumer informed a Bluegreen representative that the person they were trying to reach did not live at that address. The consumer was told that it wasn't a problem - they would give her a prize too.

High Pressure Sales and False Advertising
    Corbett said that in order to collect their "prizes, " consumers were required to schedule an appointment with a Bluegreen sales representative. In some cases, consumers who believed they would be attending a 90 minute timeshare presentation were actually subjected to relentless marketing pitches that lasted five hours or more.

According to the lawsuit, numerous deceptive statements were made to consumers during these presentations in an effort to get them to sign contracts immediately, including phony claims that prices would increase the next day, misrepresentations about when and where consumers could travel if they made a purchase and false statements about certain fees being waived.

Corbett said that some consumers bought vacation programs because they were told they were entitled to a one-week stay in Hawaii, only to learn afterward that the program they purchased could not be used in Hawaii.

According to the lawsuit, consumers who sat through the timeshare presentations received "prizes" that were nothing like what they had been promised. The "four free airline tickets" were actually booklets that offered two airline tickets with each hotel room reserved, at high prices, in a limited number of cities. In some situations, consumers were required to commit to a 10 night stay at overpriced hotel rates before being able to select a local airport for their flight.

Corbett said "free" gasoline and meals that consumers were promised turned out to be coupons or certificates with lengthy terms and conditions. For instance, consumers who were promised $40 in free gas were required to submit written requests to obtain a series of gas coupons. The coupons required consumers to pay for their gas first and then mail a receipt for reimbursement, with each coupon limited to a $5 purchase, with no more than one purchase per month.

Illegal Contracts
    Corbett's said contracts used by Bluegreen failed to properly inform consumers of their right to cancel their purchase. Pennsylvania law requires that consumers have five days to cancel any timeshare or campground purchase. Bluegreen is also accused of violating a state law that requires all consumer contracts to be written in easy-to-understand terms.

Do Not Call Violations
    According to the lawsuit, Bluegreen made numerous calls to consumers who were on Pennsylvania's Do Not Call list, allegedly basing those calls on referrals from other customers. Additionally, the companies are accused of making repeated calls to consumers who clearly told them not to call again.

"Bluegreen took advantage of hardworking Pennsylvania residents eager to find an affordable getaway, " Corbett said. "Using deceptive contests, relentless sales presentations and misleading contracts, consumers were pressured into paying thousands of dollars for vacation packages that don't meet their needs or their budgets."

Corbett said the lawsuits seek restitution for consumers who suffered financial losses because of these deceptive or illegal practices.

Additionally, Corbett says the lawsuit asks the court to void all illegal consumer contracts and give consumers the right to cancel any agreement that did not include the state-required notice of cancellation.

The lawsuit also seeks up to $1, 000 in civil penalties for each violation of the Consumer Protection Law, or up to $3, 000 for each violation involving a senior citizen.

The lawsuits were filed in Commonwealth Court, in Harrisburg, by Senior Deputy Attorney General David Sumner of the Attorney General's Bureau of Consumer Protection.

Corbett says the investigation began after consumers contacted his office to report these practices. He encouraged other consumers who have problems with Bluegreen to file a complaint by calling the Attorney General's Consumer Protection Hotline at 1-800-441-2555 or submit an online consumer complaint.

www.attorneygeneral.gov/press.aspx?id=3999 LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD-NOW!!!

• Ba
      12th of Feb, 2009

Has anyone noticed that good old Phillip, with his wealth of knowledge about bluegreen is always there to give his pathetic advice. He is can't be a bluegreen owner, he's got to be a bluegreen mole working for them, to try and put everyone down who has a complaint. I bet he even knows how many toilet rolls they use each week. SAD SAD SAD.

• Up
      30th of Apr, 2009

My husband and I have been trying since Day ONe to rent and nothing is ever available to us in the Florida coastal areas. We are so dissapointed. Have had our timeshare (and paid it and dues) for two years now and have not enjoyed one day yet. What a total rip-off! We have already paid in over $5, 000 and have nothing to show for it!

Becky Gorman, Indianapolis

• Lo
      10th of Jul, 2009

Barbara,
    I see from reading your many posts that Philip Smith seems to have got to you
    Maybe you are the one that does not understand the way timeshare works
    I bet you wished you supplied all those toilet rolls, soon pay you fees

• Bi
      24th of Mar, 2010

Members of RCI filed a class action suit for this same reason (selling space to outside renters and not holding space for those who own timeshares) and THEY WON the suit! RCI was required to refund some monies to each member who participated and they had to revise their practices. So it is possible to file a class action suit and get some result.

• La
      15th of Jun, 2010

I have my time share with bluegreen at Shenandoah crossings under old owners and they went under. Bluegreen purchased the Crossimgs and now after 10 years they want the old owners to pay the money spent to buy the Crossings. I have to pay a maintenance fee and an assessment each year, this doubles the amunt I normally pay. Can anyone tell how I can stop them from charging me this extra money, It is not my fault they purchased a bankrupt company.
    This week they offered me a deal to change my week to points, thay would give me 12, 000 points and a maintenance fee of about $700.00 a year. Plus I will have to pay them another $9, 400.00. The first time cost me back in 1996 principle and interest of $12800.00.
    I need some one to give me advice on whatI should do to get out of the contract.
    I feel like anyone you talk to at Bluegreen tells you nothing but lies to make there commission.
    Larry
    Larryc_harter@yahoo.com

• Do
      26th of Oct, 2015

I think Barbara and Phil Smith are Bluegreen Salespeople. Just another lie. There are so many lies given to us by Bluegreen.
    The resorts are great, if you can get into the one you want, which seems to be getting harder every year. I have to request 3rd and 4th choices! The maintenance fees keep going up, I can go on vacation on them alone! I think it is time that Bluegreen owners get together and do something about this! Go to one of their meetings and voice our opinion. I think the biggest lie for me is that I could sell back my points when I was ready to retire. Well, it's about that time and it's a ball around my ankle that I can no longer afford!