Blockshopper.com / invasion of privacy

1 St Louis, MO, United States Review updated:

They are publishing my name with my address for purposes of profiting off the information. I requested to have just my name not be published in association with my address and they told me it is public information. They are getting the information from the county assessor's office. If any one starts a class action lawsuit or needs a name to sign a petition to a congressional leaders, let me know. I would be happy to supply my name and address for the cause!

Comments

• Ju
      2nd of Sep, 2009

I've done a bit more home work...if we can't get blockshopper.com to remove our name, we can work from the other end to get the result of removing our names associated with our addresses off the web...we need to work with the county assessor's office. I called and and found out that if I set up a living trust, which will include my property, my name will not be identified, only the name of my living trust. And as a side bar there are other benefits to a living trust other than this one. Until the laws change, this is one way to prevent our names being associated with our addresses. And if your home phone number is published, all anyone needs to do is take your home address and go to whitepages.com and click on reverse address and your home phone number will appear if it is published. i asked the assessor's office about abbreviating my name or removing my name all together from the title and that is not possible if I am the owner of the property at least in Los Angeles county. You can change your name but that requires a legal name change! This is not what I'm looking to do. But the living trust idea is a good one to consider...what we have to do is work with our city/county and state officials to get some kind of law passed that makes our personal information from the assessor's office available to 3rd parties with our written permission.

• St
      11th of Sep, 2009

If we get a living trust, will that mean they will need to remove our names and addresses? While I understand they can publish public information, I find it infuriating they are using our names for their profit. Don't we own our names? Can our names be used to sell a product we don't endorse and without our permission? I am in the process of contacting their advertisers (Target and Walmart) and their real estate agents. I don't know how much good it will do, but some may not want to be associated with slime.

Thanks for the info.

13th of Sep, 2009

Mine is posted with all of the living trust information

so that is NOT a way to cover yourself

if anything it gave MORE information about me and my life.

• Ge
      24th of Sep, 2009

BS has posted my real estate info and my full name, i have requested to remove my name for privacy, they won't listen, i will now contact the DCA and the police dept detective and ID theft unit, lets stop evil BS before they publish our entire info online.

• Sm
      4th of Mar, 2010

Unfortunately the laws CURRENTLY allow this information to be public. The laws need to be changed so that companies like these cannot post the information on the internet and make it so readily available. But if they post copyrighted information such as photographs then you have a case and can make them take it down.

Changing the laws probably won't happen so is there anything we can do? YES!

The only reason Internet companies like BlockShopper exist is because they make money by selling advertising. The rate they can charge is based on how many hits they get so try to go to their site as little as possible. But one thing we can do is BOYCOTT any company that advertises with them. List the companies that advertise with them on every forum you can find and spread the word. Write to each company and explain that you are boycotting them because they advertise on BlockShopper who you feel is an unethical company. If they aren't making any money, they can't keep running their business.

• Tb
      30th of Apr, 2010

I contend that posting my name, Hernandez, on my property or any legal activities that might be publicly received to potential buyers in the future would conceivably tarnish the value of said property by enabling prospective buyers to form personal opinions based on, race, gender, or historical legal issues, of said property owners, and neighbors, that my otherwise have not influenced them on whether or not the home in question was worthy of purchase.

4th of Mar, 2011

I was horrified today when I googled just the street name of my address and to see my full name on Blockshopper.com. I was even more horrifed to see that if you search a name on this website, it will list every asset that person owns. And if you are one of the lucky ones, they even post which company you work for and your position. This is a total invasion to ones' privacy. Many people complained and Blockshopper finally put in an "opt-out" to let people's name be removed from their website. That is if you can prove that you are being stalked with policy records and etc...So basically this "opt-out" option is VERY VERY limited. I do not see this as a real "opt out."

The website kept saying all the records it published is "public records." Yes, it is public records if I known a particular address and I go to the government to request the information or I pay a fee to a private company. What blockshopper does it creates all these links and free indexing so that information about home owners can be obtained in a matter of a couple clicks and it is ALL FREE.

Phone numbers can be blocked why can't the home owners name and assets be blocked? It is one thing to post housing values such as zillow but it is very different when you tag on names and I mean full (legal) names. If I want to know where Joe Smith lives and how much properties he owns, all I need to do is google it and this website will tell you everything regardless where I am (I could be in China). I come from China and I always thought the Americans view privacy very high...I can not believe though that such website can exist. People want to live in a safe environment not being exposed like this on the cyberspace!!! Please someone start a legal action aganist them. There SHOULD BE LAW written to protect US citizens and residents! We clearly need new laws to govern what is considered "public information" on the internet!!!

Still very disturbed and shocked about this website. I will never search anything on this website because that will only encourage them to do what they are doing now...people making profit out of other peoples' safety is really not right!

10th of Oct, 2011

Posting my name/address thereby invading my personal privacy, even after asked to kindly remove my personal info.