Blockbuster / mistakenly charged my card

CT, US Review updated:

I have been a loyal customer for Blockbuster for a good 6 years now. I always bring my movies back on time and always make sure if I don't, I pay them right away. I also have their rewards program that you have to pay extra for, and I've had this since I have been a customer.

Basically what had happend was, I rented a game. I made sure I brought this game back 2 DAYS before it was due back, that way I gave the employees ample time to get it from the bin, check it in, and put it back on the shelf. Well, I go to my bank the other day and deposit some money. My bank teller tells me I am negative $57. I look at her and go there is no way. I have nothing huge pending, and I haven't made any big purchases in god knows how long. She looks up my statement and tells me that Blockbuster took out $63.99 and then returned it the same day. But because I didn't have enough money in my account, I was charged an over the limit fee. Now, since I had things pending from before this happend, when everything from the previous days came out, there was no money in my account to clear it, so everytime one of my purchases came out, I was charged another over the limit fee. After everything had came out, I was charged a total of $150 in fees. I'm a fulltime college student, I don't work, and I just picked up selling Avon as a way to try to get some sort of money in my pocket until I can find a job. That is my only source of income, and now since my bank account is negative, when I go to put any sort of money in my account, it's going to just suck it up.

I was livid with the fact that they took this amount out since I know for a FACT I returned this movie myself 2 days before it was due. I get to the Blockbuster and tell them that there must be some mistake. They look up the account and tell me that the movie was checked in on 8/31/09 at 6:50 PM. I tell them there is NO way that somebody returned it at that time because nobody on the account was in town at the time, and nobody went to Blockbuster to begin with that day. I told them that this isn't the first time they had mistakenly charged mine, or my friends card because my friend is still going through a dispute with this SAME Blockbuster because they charged his card almost $80 for a game he "never returned". He went down there and looked at the shelf. The game he just so happend to rent only had two copies in the entire store and when he got there, low and behold, the 2 copies were sitting on the shelf. The representative apologized and said the money would be refunded, and that was over a month ago and he still hasn't recieved any sort of compensation for their mistake. The manager told me that it was there mistake but they don't refund any over the limit fees caused by their mistake. I calmy tell them that this is unacceptable and I'm not taking no as an answer. This was their mistake and I shouldn't have to lose that much money because of them. They tell me that they will call my bank manager and talk to them. I take that and leave.

They call my bank manager and my bank manager tells the Blockbuster manager that the bank is not going to refund any sort of over the limit fees because this was not a bank error, it was their error. The Blockbuster manager tells her that they don't do this and they are going to have to refund the money themselves. Again, the bank manager tells her no, she needs to. This goes back and forth and finally the Blockbuster manager hangs up.

I call the Blockbuster manager back and ask her what's going on with them refunding my money because something needs to be done soon. She tells me that my BANK needs to refund me, not them. I tell her, listen, you've talked to my bank manager already and you've talked to me. I don't know how many people need to tell you that the bank is NOT going to refund ANY money if it is not their fault. She tells me that that's the situation and that's it. I told her I will be contacting the district manager and headquarters. She hung up on me.

I then called the district manager 3 times within the week and have not heard anything back from him. I called headquarters twice and got the run around every time. I was told first that a district manager would call me within 24 hours. I didn't get a call so I called headquarters back the next day and was then told it could take anywhere up to 72 hours to get a call back. I am then told that if it was a Blockbuster error, they will pay back my over the limit fees, whereas 2 days earlier I was told that they don't do that and I will have to have the bank pay me back.

I am so disgusted with the amount of customer service I have recieved. They refuse to realize that this problem has arised because of THEIR mistake. They have openely addmitted to me, my boyfriend, my mother AND my bank manager that it was their fault, but they are not refunding me my money. I have reported them to both my state's Better Business Bureu, and the Consumer Protection Agency. I will keep calling back until I get an answer and if I don't get this issue resolved I will have no option but to file legal documents and take them to court to get my money. I think this is unacceptable for a company that is nationally known to act like this and have such poor customer service. It's not enough that they are charging people's cards as they see fit, but the fact that they act so non-chalantly about an issue that one of their LOYAL customers have. I will be taking my business somewhere else, and I will be letting everybody in my area know of this problem and referring them to other businesses as well. I really hope I get this issue resolved soon and hopefully I will get a call back ASAP. I would suggest taking your business somewhere else if you would like to keep your money in your account where it belongs.

Comments

• Lo
      Sep 22, 2007
    Blockbuster - Fraud and cheating!

I'm really ticked off... I've had blockbuster online for about a year now...I really like it... I get 3 movies in the mail that I can exchange in the store for more... they just raised my plan from $17.99 a month to 24.99... & they took away the once a month free coupon for a game...that's complete crap... I could see them raising it a little... but by $7.00?... seriously rude... like they don't make enough money... everything is always about greed & how much can we screw people over...

•   Oct 28, 2007
    Blockbuster - What happened to reasonable prices and service?

Blockbuster - www.blockbuster.com

It seems Blockbuster even limits complaints on its website. When I attempted to register my complaint as I was canceling my online account the page kept me from doing so. Now I'm forced to complain on an open site instead. The company recently changed its "Total Access" to extremely LIMITED access. It now costs 99 cents per night for local rentals. Further, the program to exchange online mailers for local brick and mortar rentals has changed as of this Tuesday so that the customer is no longer able to use the DVD for more than 1 night. The employees who had been working that very night at Newark, New York's store did not really understand this and had told every customer who walked through the door that the DVDs would be due 8 days from that night. I understand that local employees would at first be confused by the new pricing policy. What I will not tolerate is that the young woman who checked out my DVD today told me to my face that I was wrong that they didn't understand the policy. That the customer is EVER wrong is a bad practice and I am glad that I did not buy stock in Blockbuster when I had the chance. It seems the company is so desperately in trouble (the receive a D grade from my broker where Netflix is a B+ "buy" recommendation) that they will say and do anything to rip off the few good customers they have.

• Kh
      Jan 16, 2008
    Blockbuster - Using expired card!
    Utah
    www.Blockbuster.com

I signed up for Blockbuster's online services and was billed a monthly fee. Since I never used the services, I did not give them my new credit card number when it expired in July of 2017. They continued to email me stating that they needed the new card number. I ignored the emails, since I wanted to cancel anyways. Last week my wife noticed that they had continued to charge our expired credit card since July. When I emailed them, they wouldn't even answer my questions about the expired card. It doesn't even look like they are reading my emails, just sending me some stock response that has nothing to do with my complaint. I'm now on my third email and they will still not discuss the expired Visa. I have told them repeatedly that I do not want my money back before the card expired, even though I didn't use their services once. I only want the money they have stolen off an unauthorized card after the expiration date in July. I even contacted Visa to see if they had given them my new card expiration date (they claimed they didn't). Blockbuster won't even address the expiration issue, but keep saying things that have nothing to do with my emails.

And here's the kicker. Even though I canceled my account officially the first time I sent them an email, they charged my expired card for another month afterwards. When I sent another email asking why they hadn't canceled my account, they wouldn't even address the card being charged after my cancellation.

Please beware. I don't want anyone else to have to go through this. I am still hoping to resolve this amicably, but am contacting my bank and if necessary, an attorney. Are there any class action lawsuits against Blockbuster on this issue...

•   May 21, 2008
    Blockbuster - They charged me $61 after I cancelled my membership
    www.blockbuster.com

I was tired of Blockbuster using my checking account as their own IOU fund (no late fees means they help you buy the movie when it is late and if you bring it back within 10 days...you get a store credit but not a refund), so I decided to cancel and switch to netflix. I deleted all the movies in my Q and returned the last of my movies.

I tried to cancel my membership at the store but they said Blockbuster Online is a different division of the company. I had to cancel online. So, I went home and cancelled. The next morning I checked my bank account and discovered that Blockbuster charged me $61 for the movies I turned in 12 hours earlier.

They won't resolve the issue saying that I am no longer a member and am not eligible for in-store credit. So, I get to keep 3 crappy movies that cost $20 each. Their previously viewed movies sell for 4 for $20. Go figure!!! The only positive I can think of is that there is a reason why their stock is about $3 a share and with this kind of ###ic management, they will hopefully go bankrupt soon.

• Qw
      Jul 14, 2008

You need your head examined.

• Bd
      Aug 06, 2008

I found out that if you do'nt return a movie by the due date (even though they claim no late fee's) they help themselves to your bank account because they keep your debit or credit card on file, they then charge you the sale of the movie with no warrning and no receipt to indicate a transaction has taken place from your account, then when you turn in the movies they are suppost to refund your money to your bank account within 30-days, I had some bank fee's did some digging and found all kinds of charges by blockbuster!! suprise! It's on your agreement plan when you sign up to be a member in itty bitty print, next time I'll bring my attorney to help me fill out.

• K
      Aug 23, 2008

Actually you don't get charged right after the due date, you get 10 days from the due date. Just to make sure you know they also give automated calls to let you know that something is going to sell. You have 30 days from that day to bring it back for a refund less a 1.25 restocking fee. If you can't manage to get a movie back in roughly 6 weeks... then I say that's your own fault. The people who keep them out that long are the same ones whining in the store when what they want isn't there. And on the note about the terms only being on the initial membership try reading a reciept, as every single one says the policy regarding late items at the bottom.

•   Aug 25, 2008
    Blockbuster - Very bad service
    BlockBuster
    Oklahoma City
    Oklahoma
    blockbuster.com

I've had Blockbuster Movies on-line DVD rental service for 3 months now and have had many serious problems with poor service.

Three times already they sent me movies that were too damaged to play - and I tried them on two different makes of DVD players. When you get a damaged movie, you have to wait for them to re-ship the same title and you end up getting fewer movies for your bucks. The movies were so obviously deeply scratched that if they had a better quality control, the bad DVDs should never have been sent out in the first place.

Also, today they shipped me a movie I had already got through their Total Access plan. When you exchange a movie you received by mail for one from the local Blockbuster store, their system is supposed to remove it from your on-line waiting list (which they call the "queue") of the ones you want them to send you next. Sometimes they remove it, sometimes not. So then you have to wait for that same movie to come in the mail, send it back, and then wait for another one to come. This takes more than a week total!

Also, they have been slow to ship the next movie, even though they claim it will be sent within a day - this is by no means rare.

My last complaint: read about a movie I wanted to see, Blockbuster on-line didn't have it. I checked the Netflix site and they DID have it.

I will be dropping my Blockbuster on-line service as soon as the period I've already paid for expires.

•   Sep 11, 2008
    Blockbuster - Bogus company
    blockbuster.com

The date listed is approximate as this is an ongoing event. Having cancelled my Blockbuster Total Access account due to the economy, I received an e-mail asking me to REACTIVATE my account, at which time I would receive a two-week free trial and $25.00 deposited into my PayPal account at the end of the trial period. Of course, I reactivated only to find out that this offer is not available to previous customers. We had a go-round, I received my initial month's fee back (no $25.00, of course). Lo and behold, I received another identcial e-mail last week with the exact same offer. Of course, Blockbuster has no intention of following through as I am a former customer. WHY DO THEY CONTINUALLY SEND THESE OFFERS TO PREVIOUS CUSTOMERS IF WE ARE NOT ELIGIBLE? Is this not deceptive advertising? I do not want to receive any further e-mail or mail offers from Blockbuster.

•   Sep 11, 2008
    Blockbuster - Money scam
    806 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
    Seffner
    Florida
    blockbuster.com

The Blockbuster store I am complaining about store #12377. It is located at 806 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Seffner, FL 33584.

I have been a Blockbuster customer for years and have never had a problem in any store I have gone into. I moved, and decided to go to above store; however I couldn�t find my card. I have always been able to use my Drivers License, but the guy at the counter said he couldn�t find my account, so I reopened another account at that location. I gave them my debit card information with the understanding that they were a legitimate, respected company and would use the information responsibly. I rented a couple of movies, and left them on the roof of my car as I drove off. They charged my card and then I proceed to rent more movies there. I usually rent about 5 at a time. I rented a few with no problems, and low and behold after just a couple of times renting at this store, they are now claiming I did not return a movie. I was checking my bank account online, and noticed a $10.69 charge from Blockbusters. I didn�t know what this charge was so I called and spoke with one of the associates. He informed me the charge was from Dora the Explorer that I did not return. I specifically remember returning that movie, because at first I couldn�t find the case and had to search my son�s room for it. I found it and when we got to Blockbusters I put the movies in the drop box and my son got all upset because he thought I threw his Dora movie away. I told him that I returned that movie and he said he would look. While I was on hold, I thought about it and I never received a phone call from them telling me I had a movie out late. I had recently changed my cell phone service and got a new phone number, so I thought that I hadn�t updated my phone number. When he came back and told me he couldn�t find it, I asked him to update my phone number. He sighed and asked me what my number was and I gave it to him. He said that was the number that they had on file for me. I didn�t specifically ever remember giving them my phone number, but asked him if they had my correct phone number why I didn�t receive a phone call about an over due movie, I may have been able to get this fixed 2 weeks ago. He then told me that the computer shows they did call me, and mentioned that I had a movie out that was one day overdue, and that I would start receiving phone calls tomorrow about it. I went on about the movie I just paid for that I do not have. He said he looked and they didn�t have it in their store. I told him that I would be in, to find out more about this. I went in and told him that I wanted him to find my movie. He took me to shelf where it would be and showed me that it was not there. He said that when I spoke with him on the phone that he looked in a mix match drawer. I asked him to look again, and he did not. I asked him if they had a defective drawer that it could have gotten thrown in and he didn�t respond and walked behind the counter to talk to another associate. He told me I could talk to the store manager tomorrow. It concerned me that he said my number was correct in the system, even though I didn�t receive any calls, that he says that computer shows that I did get, and also that he made no effort to look for the movie while I was in the store. When I left and got home, I thought about it and regardless if I could get this problem resolved store level, I would never return to that store again, because I think that something is not right there, I don�t think they look for movies, or care, or try and cover up their own mistakes at the expense of the customer. So I went on-line and emailed Blockbusters and explained the situation and told that I would never return to the store again, however whether or not I continue going to any Blockbusters ever again is dependent on whether or not I get my $10.69 back. I told them that there are way too many options out there to continue going to a company that took my money, which is what they did, because they took my money and I received no benefit at all from it. I don�t have the movie but I�m out $10.69. They have my movie somewhere and now have an extra $10.69. The next day I returned the movies that I had previously rented, when I returned my other movies and asked the girl at the counter to give me documentation that I returned these movies. She asked the same guy that I spoke with the day before how to do it, and he told her to print a history. She did and handed the receipt to me. It had notes on the receipt that he had put on my account about my visit with him yesterday, saying that I was upset and rude to him. I was absolutely upset, he was telling me I didn�t return a movie, that I did- he was telling me I got phone calls that I did not receive, and would not look for my movie while I was there in the store, even though he claimed to look for it while I was on the phone. I just kind of chuckled when I saw the comments on the receipt because in the end I get the last laugh. There went a large amount of money that I would have put into that store. One day he will grow up and realize that it�s customers that give him a paycheck, and if he continues acting the way he does and loses more customers, he�s going to be looking for a new job when it shuts down because it�s not making any money. He can say what he wants about me, in the end I�m one of the reasons he got a paycheck and that reason is gone. Though it doesn�t seem like a lot of money, it�s still my money. I work to hard for my money, for someone to just take it for no reason. I don�t have $10.69 to just throw away.

I have not received a phone call as of yet about my complaint so I guess Blockbusters doesn�t care if yet another customer is gone, because they got their $10.69. I will now post this on any consumer complaint board that I can find on-line.

•   Oct 24, 2008
    Blockbuster - Bad service
    blockbuster.com

I have been with Blockbuster Total Access since they originally launched. Lately I've been receiving DVDs that are either unplayable to actually broken. The quality control is hideous and it can be seen at the local branches as well. They do not take care of their older DVDs or even replace them. Sure they ship fast, but I would rather have my damn movie work when I watch it. I can't imagine anything more frustrating while watching a movie than see it freeze up because of scratches.

I also tried to re-surface all these DVDs and some even twice but I could not get them to work to play all the way through the disc. Shame on blockbuster for becoming a Corporate mongrel with ZERO ACCOUNTABILITY.

I'm aware of the feature to send back damaged DVDs, but I'm not here to get something free. I want to talk to supervisor from Blockbuster and ask them "Where is your quality control?" They don't even list an 800 number to call and voice your complaints. You have to email them instead through a form that doesn't even reveal their email!

Nov 01, 2008

Wow, thats a horrible scam.

I really hate these companies. A very similar thing is happening to me with Microsoft Xbox Live. HORRIBLE!

• Am
      Nov 03, 2008
    Blockbuster - &No Late Fees&
    Mechanicsville
    Virginia

I have been renting from Blockbuster for some years and have never had a problem. I have paid late fees when I had them prior to Blockbuster changing the policy on "No Late Fees". I have now dealt with two issues within a month's time.

Recently, since the beginning of October, I had returned a dvd that was "late". Either way, it was returned and I was told that it was not in. After searching the entire store, they finally found the "lost" dvd. They had slipped it into a section that was considered to now be owned (after paying the dvd owner fee of $24.40). The dvd was returned one of the many copies it had. I still had to pay the ownership fee and now own a dvd that was orginally returned to the store.

Secondly, I received a call from Blockbuster saying that I had late dvds. I rent the dvds the same day I had supposedly never returned the last dvd. I returned those dvds two or three days after renting them out. I went into the store tonight and complained. The person at the counter wrote down the numbers and searched for them throughout the store. She found them both and took both late movies off.

She was very polite about it. But, now, after dealing with issues twice of "late" movies, I have decided to end my membership and make sure that this does not happen to anyone else I know, or they know.

So maybe now, Blockbuster's slogan should be "No Late Fees, now Own the Movie".

• Wo
      Nov 04, 2008

i am thinking that most people on this site are customers who expect others to bend over and let them rape the employee. do people not understand that you are not right all the time if you are the customer. a customer cannot just come in and say, hey change the rules i have rented here forever, bend over now. or hey i don't like that price change it, i am a customer here me roar just stop whining, and learn that customers are not the boss.

and most people should understand that if you are going to a rental service you should understand there is a contract for fees and others fines. you agree to it with the contract, don't you understand you should pay attention to whatever you sign.

PAY ATTENTION!!!

• Wo
      Nov 04, 2008

i dont think you returned your online movies, they can charge after a month that you have not returned your online movies.

• Ad
      Jan 30, 2009

I ordered a game (that was in-stock) from their website, and they charged my credit card immediately. After a week and a half of waiting and my order had not shipped, they cancelled my order, saying they "can not fulfill", even though their website still shows the game as in-stock. After waiting for my refund and not receiveing it for a couple days, they told me it could take up to 14 days! They charged me immediately, never shipped the order, and they claim it could take up to 4 weeks after the order for me to get my money back? Terrible, and possibly illegal. I will never do business with blockbuster.com again. I still haven't gotten my money back.

• Pa
      Mar 18, 2009
    Blockbuster - Charges to credit card
    High Point
    North Carolina

I recently returned a movie late and expalined to th eclerk my son had beem in the hospital for 6 weeks and that I wante dto pay the late fee. He stated he understood and not to worry about it I did not owe anything. I just happened to check a credit card that I will not use anymore and found a $1.25 charge from blockbuster. That is BAD businees. I tried to pay the late fee, however the guy was "doing me a favor." I am glad I checked the account or this would have cost much more, because I have suspended all use of that account. I will visit the store tomarrow and let them know how I feel and cancel my account with these scam artists. There are cheaper and better places to rent from.

• Ga
      Mar 24, 2009
    Blockbuster - Not credited as returned.
    Blockbuster

I was first left a voicemail saying that a DVD was overdue. I called the Blockbuster, told them I had returned it without even watching the movie in its entirety, as it was not what I anticipated it being even with an actor like Anthony Hopkins. They kept on insisting I never returned it and it has been turned over to a debt collection service now, for less than $14.00, (Fourteen) they have lost a customer because they absolutely refused to even consider that it may have been one of thier employees (maybe a disgrunteled individual) had removed said DVD from the premises.

• Ho
      Mar 28, 2009
    Blockbuster - membership movie ratings
    blockbuster
    website

I was going to write a movie review on blockbuster's website about Synecdoche, New York, the movie but decided to read all the 19 available prior to submitting mine. The membership "star rating" showed 3 full stars for this film. All 19 submitted reviews at the time of my reading them had NONE above a 2.5 star rating. How does blockbuster come up with a rating of well over the actual member rating but more so, WHY do they do it? I do rely on member reviews with SOME movies I rent...would have rented this one anyway but you tell me? What a stinky way to get people to rent a movie...lie about what people really think. So, I've learned my lesson and will NEVER rely on the star ratings again since they obviously manipulate them. Anything for a buck. Shame on Blockbuster.

• My guess is that that is not an average rating but Blockbuster's own corperate rating. Funny though how most of those movies are rated one and two. Not one is rated three. Perhaps the rating was from some other resource? Or perhaps some ratings were deleted. We never know.

Mar 30, 2009

Here is something to watch...

If you keep your movies at home for a couple of days and then return them to Blockbuster, they usually process your queue quickly and ship your new movies the same day.

If you return your movies the day after you receive them, Blockbuster will not process them for several days and it will usually be two to three days before your queue gets updated.

As a network engineer and software developer, I’ve noticed these scenarios and the results are the same each time.

I have contacted Blockbuster several times by e-mail concerning this practice and I get generic replies back about not having enough available movies in my queue. Because I have over 300 movies in my queue, I find this hard to believe.

• Ba
      May 03, 2009
    Blockbuster - Unauthorized billing
    blockbuster.com

Here I am sitting at home waiting for Blockbuster Online, of which I have been a loyal customer for two years, to send the set of movies next in line on my online queue. One week, two weeks, no movies. I send an email, and then I called my local store. Apparently, Blockbuster had changed the Blockbuster Online contracts right under our noses, and we can’t do anything about it?

My contract states that I get unlimited online rentals “Unlimited Mailings”, but I can only hold up to three at a time. It also states that I can, at any time, return one, or two, or all three of these movies to my local store in exchange for a free in-store rental, “Unlimited In-store movie exchanges.” For this plan I am paying $19.99 + tax.

Let’s say I get my first three movies in the mail, I watch them, then I head over to my local Blockbuster, return those movies, and get three totally free rentals. That Blockbuster store logs in the mail-ins and I immediately would get the next three movies on my queue. Within the next few days, I would have a total of 6 movies, the ones that I picked up in-store and the new three that I received in the mail for returning the others. This is great, and this is also the reason I chose the more expensive Blockbuster plan over the Netflix plan.

Now, under the new plan, Blockbuster requires that you return the in-store rentals prior to receiving your next mail-in movies. This will make it definite that I will only be able to have three movies at a time, whether online or in-store. Therefore, I am paying the same $19.99 + tax for fewer movies. Very smart on the part of Blockbuster, but I’m not having that crap. If we’re getting fewer movies, we should pay less. I really need people to take a look at this and tell me if they totally agree.

• Cu
      May 13, 2009

I realize this is an old post, but... if your credit card expired, how were they still able to charge you?

• La
      May 17, 2009

I too experienced this and worse. We have been receiveing many scratched and unplayable movies. I tried all Sat to report and URL was down so I returned to the store marking the envelope as damaged. I email the company upon returning home and receive an email which is rude to say the least.
    They complain I didn't report before returning and then suggest as a solution for me to just return and get another video from store. Isn't this fraud? I paid for working DVD's and get attitude to boot!
    Has anyone a solution to this?

• Mi
      Jun 23, 2009

Did you know they made on-lines, so they can be switched out with in store movies with no due dates. So you can keep your in store movies for a long time. However, they dont send your on-lines out until the in store movies are checked in.

Jul 16, 2009
    Blockbuster - Banned from store useing foul langue
    Blockbuster

I went to return a game on the 2 out and 2 in thing and the manger said i needed a valid card on file because they cant charge my account and i said i am payed up to the 11 of next month she then started to mouth off to me and saying stuff to me i said i want the number to the corapation and she kept goin on i said shut the ###up and just give me the number and she said what and i said agin shut the ###up and give me the number she state i was banned from the store for saying that and when i looked at the number it was the number for there not the corapation number which i never got my rental or my money back.

• Mr
      Jul 26, 2009
    Blockbuster - 2 in 2 out
    1950-4 E. Greyhound Pass Carmel
    Carmel
    Indiana
    Phone: [protected]

Ok, first off. We have used blockbuster for 10+ years. and this year we started using the switch the games out and get another one. well, the first time it was used it worked perfectly but then a couple of weeks later we go in and rent 2 games and 4 movies. the employee asks us if we want the 2 in 2 out deal. since at the time it sounded good and it was good in the past, we did it. then we came in the next day to flip out a game. i wanted the lego indiana jones instead of the non lego version. we came in very recently and when we went to get a new game in line we went up and the dude and employee said that we didn't have the deal. so we aksed him to look for it and said that is was not there. but the woman the day earlier said that we had it. aparently the reciept machine was broken so we didn't get a receipt with the actual purchase. so then we just left and i do not know if we will ever go back because of their poor service.

• Hu
      Jul 27, 2009

I totally don't get what you're saying.

• De
      Aug 01, 2009

WHEN DID IT BECOME GOOD BUSINESS TO CHANGE A CONTRACT WITH A CUSTOMER IN MID CONTRACT WITHOUT CONSULTING THE CLIENT FIRST. BLOCKBUSTER MUST NOT NEED TO KEEP THIER 12 YEAR GOOD CLIENTS. IM DONE. BYE BYE BLOCKBUSTER.YOUVE GOTTEN THE LAST OF MY $.RED BOX HERE I COME. SINCERLY DISSATISFIED&DISAPIONTED, DENISE FORMER MEMBER OF THURSTON OREGON BLOCKBUSTER.

• Mo
      Aug 07, 2009

I don't know anything about the PayPal deal, but few months ago, I received an email from Blockbuster asking me to REACTIVATE my account for a two week free trial. Naturally, I called them to confirm if the deal was for real since I was a previous member a few years back. They said "yes", so I reactivated my account and sure enough, I got the two weeks free trial plus the five free exchange at the local store during that two weeks. After my free trial was expired, I continued for another month, then canceled it just last week.

Although their offer to me was valid, I must warn you that Blockbuster can't be trusted. They do not honor their rental plan. Although I signed up for total-access-unlimited-three-out-at-a-time with the 5 free exchange at the local store per month, most of the time, Blockbuster would send out only 1 movie at a time. This would leave two empty slots on my queue about 99% of the time. This happen during the last two weeks before my cancellation. Blockbuster was absolutely wonderful during the free trial period and during the first two weeks of my paid membership, but after that I would be lucky to get three movies per week. Since I live just about a block from the local Blockbuster store, I have always returned their mails to the local store, this may explain why it may cut into Blockbuster's profits; therefore, they intentionally send out only 1 at a time and leave two open slots on my queue 99% of the time. Please don't get me wrong...I'm not really complaining...even with 3 movies per week plus the 5 free exchange per month, it still is a good deal. I just don't like their false advertising tactics. Therefore, I canceled my membership and probably will never do business with Blockbuster Online ever again. A dishonest company like Blockbuster will eventually come up with other scam to increase their profit margins. One of these days, they may claim to send out the movies but never do, then claim that we didn't return them, then charge us the full price for it. It will be just a matter of time before a dishonest company to resolve to this source of thing... They can count me out as their victim because my days with Blockbuster is over. For the rest of you out there that is still with Blockbuster, be careful! You are dealing with a dishonest company. Good luck!

• Cj
      Aug 21, 2009

I have had many problems at Blockbuster. among them is scratched discs, wrong discs, no disc in jacket, and poor customer service. I had one incident that I was so upset about I had to blog about it. If anyone is interested, the article is here:

• He
      Aug 21, 2009

I find that hard to believe.

• Ji
      Sep 08, 2009

i went to my local blockbuster for the first time a week ago i got out mall cop and gangs of new york was told they were due back the following thursday. came home gangs of new york only had bonus disk in had to go back to the store and ask for another copy. the geek behind the desk seemed baffeld and said oh weve messed up.the girl who was ###ing about with the hoover with another co worker (was shocked by the immituraty of workers all school leavers) said your have to get another film. i picked up knowing went to the till and he ###ing charged me an extra 2.00 and told me it is a new release and it was due back sunday. i took knowing back on saturday and returned back to blockbuster yesterday to hire out more films and was then told mall cop was due back 4 days ago and i will be charged when i return it. what a load of ### they are no way charging me for a film they told me was due back this thursday. i am not impressed with blockbuster at all .

Oct 25, 2009

There is no contract on your membership information you can read that Blockbuster can change the rental terms with out notice. The policy changed in march nationally but was rolled out earlier in some markets.

Oct 25, 2009

If they flow off your roof once it could happen again.

• Jh
      Nov 05, 2009
    Blockbuster - Illegal Policy: Won't Provide Receipts
    2700 E Thompson Blvd
    Ventura
    California
    Phone: [protected]

Blockbuster has an illegal policy of refusing to issue receipts upon the return of DVDs. This violates Calif Code of Civil Procedure section 2075, which states: "Whoever pays money, or delivers an instrument or property, is entitled to a receipt therefor from the person to whom the payment or delivery is made, and may demand a proper signature to such receipt as a condition of the payment or delivery."

Last night, when I was returning three DVDs on November 4, 2017, I asked for a receipt. I was told, as I've been told many times before, "we don't do that and don't have any way to do that."

I explained how, years ago, Blockbuster wrongfully charged my wife and I for a video that we returned by placing it in a Blockbuster dropbox. In response to the wrongful charge, my wife and I spent hours communicating with various levels of the corporation, but eventually caved in and paid so that we could keep our credit records clean.

Last night, I was fed up. I asked to speak to the manager. The girl said she was the manager. I asked that she call whoever she would call if there was a problem. She refused. I asked her for a handwritten receipt with her first and last name. She refused.

I took the videos and walked out. She accused me of stealing in front of other customers and employees. I told her that when I get a valid receipt, I'll give her the videos.

If any reasonable attorney is looking for a plaintiff for a class action suit, please contact me.

Joe
    Area code (eight zero five) two five eight - six zero nine one

• Ss
      Dec 02, 2009
    Blockbuster - Fraudulent charge
    blockbuster.com

I recieved a charge on my credit card for $19.01 in April, saying I had signed up for the online service and will be billed each month for this amount unless they decide to change the amount. It is at their decreation to make changes when ever you want. I contacted my credit card company to say I had not signed up for this account and please credit my account. I was later sent paperwork showing, Susan (My name is not Susan) had applied for the account using my credit card, her name and address. I can infact cancel this account at any time, but I do need an account number and password. Since I did not sign up for this account I have neither. They have responded with the fact that they cannot cancel this account because I do not have any athority to cancel since it is not in my name. However they seem to think they have athority to charge my charge account every month for $19.01. The report also showed there had never been any activity on this accound. How this happened I do not know but I do intend to correct it.

Dec 21, 2009
    Blockbuster - Lack of Human compassion
    Dallas
    Texas

My grandson recently had a bad fall and many stitches in his face. While waiting on the MRI his big sister told me that the nice man at night at the Blockbuster had acknowledged her each trip there and knew her to buy the popcorn box gift, for many friends for several occasions. We went in and picked out all the treats to put in it. The night manager picked up the phone and talked for at least 3 to 4 minutes while trying to look up my name. When she finally hung up I told her my daughter had the card in the hospital. We offered her our cell phone to call and she refused. We called the mother in the hospital and I demanded she talk to her. She did and refused the sale which did include the rental of a movie. I offered to buy the movie and she said they did not have another one. We went back to the shelf and brought another up and she still said no. By this time I was enraged. She did mention two other men could buy or rent and I called my daughter again. She said it could only be her husband and her father my Husband. I had moved aside long before so that other customers could be served and one of them got into my face. I will not discuss here what I told him. She told me she was calling the police and I told her please do so. That I would like very much to sue her and the company for bad customer service, with a jury panel. She put the phone down. My husband had been called and he was one of the signers. He bought the package and we found one of the child's favorite candy bars missing. My daughter's mother-in law called and was told it was in the package. She said no we had searched the car and the package. We asked to come down and get another and she said no we would be credited. I am sure the woman who constantly told us she was a manager followed policy to the letter but what about human concern and concern for a little boy in the hospital crying at the very time we were in a word "battle". This woman had the nerve to say "God Bless You" as I left. I am also going to have to go to confession to talk about what I said to her. Blockbuster has no compassion for anyone. Just a big Business not the nice little store down the street as my granddaughter told me. One of my gifts to the family is a mail in video computer site.

Jan 17, 2010

I just encountered the same problem and I'm outraged. The company is masking their practices by hiding new rules and regulations hidden in the fine print. I think there should be a class action lawsuit against this company for misleading consumers into thinking there are no late fees but charging the full price of movies

• Ra
      Feb 04, 2010
    Blockbuster - Worst experience ever
    Blockbuster

What has happened to Blockbuster? I, as a customer, am absolutely done with the company if the store I frequent is any indication of the companies attitude toward consumers who spend a great deal of money with them. Especially in this economy.

I have been renting movies at Blockbuster for almost 10 years. I would say on average I spend $100 - $200 per month on movie rentals, as I am not an active cable subscriber, and rely on movies as my primary source of at home digital entertainment. One of the primary reasons I have consistently used blockbuster, up until now, is their relaxed policy toward late fees.

I have always, and repeat, always enjoyed the "no late fees" program blockbuster has offered. I often rent 5-10 movies at a time and return them when I want another batch. This has worked perfectly well for me since the launch of the service. Even paying the restocking fees which bumped my average rental price above the competition, I was always happy to pay what I consider a premium for the ability to return a movie I will never watch again.

About 3 weeks ago I went to rent movies and upon checkout was presented a single movie case (12 rounds was the movie) and a lengthy receipt documenting a charge of one hundred and eighty dollars ($180) made to my card on file. I immediately questioned what the receipt was for and why on earth I would have a $180 dollar charge (on top of all the rental fees I have already paid). This being a Saturday night, there was a lengthy line forming behind me as the person helping me struggled through her system to figure out answers to my questions.

I was briefly told that my movies were "too late" and that I was charged for them. This didn't make any sense to me as I have never, and I repeat, never, had an issue like this. I finally, after 5 minutes of standing there and quite a few angry customer looks, told the lady helping me, that I would follow up at a later time to resolve the matter. I left the store with my rental dvd's and one additional unexpected DVD that I was told I bought. But for $180?

Two weeks go by, and I as a business owner, being very busy did not bother to follow up on the matter. Some simple misunderstanding, a mistake made in a system, it didn't matter. It was just $180. I return to this same store with my girlfriend to return these movies as well as rent a few more for a nice quite evening. That night, my girlfriend was checking out while I skimmed through a magazine that caught my eye. From a distance I could hear a store clerk explain to her that she owed $120 on her account for movies she failed to return in time. Keep in mind this is totally unrelated to my account and the movies I just returned. Of course, hearing this, I walked over to try to understand the situation and was told the policy is more than 10 days late and we purchase the movie with no exception (rather than 30 days in the past).

I politely asked for the contact information of the store manager, the clerk we were in front of, said she was the store manager. I asked her for a card so that her and I could discuss the matter at a later time. She declined to give me any information and instead told me to call the store the next day. I asked for the information of a district manager as well as if blockbuster was a franchise or corporately owned. I was told it was a franchise and that the only way to contact a district manager was through the store manager. She then highlighted a store phone number on our newly created receipt and wrote the name of someone who she referred to as the store manager (I guess she wasn't?).

I spend thousands of dollars a year legitamitly renting movies. Now I'm spending hundreds of dollars a month buying previously viewed movies for $20 a piece that I have never ever had to buy before. My rental habits have not changed. The store, the company, the policy has.

In addition to all of this, the initial $180 that was charged did not result in any movies being given to me (owned). On top of all this I do not believe there is a signed authorization on file for Blockbuster to charge the account they have on file.

I ask the consumers, what would you do? In this tough economy, with so many rental options, I would think any establishment would bend over backwards to ensure customer satisfaction.