Blanche Macdonald Canada's Makeup And Hair School / Blanche MacDonald is Canada's worst make-up and hair school!

1 Canada Review updated:

This is the worst makeup school in Canada. Anyone needing to go to school for makeup and esthetics should stay away from BlancheMacDonald. My friend joined and they ripped her off. Never gave her a refund cos she was sick as a dog.

The teachers are known to be the worst in the industry so if you want to get a job after graduation then go to John Casablanca or some other college but stay away from this scamming school of makeup and heir design.

These thieves have whats coming to them they ripped my best friend off and the world is going to know. BlancheMacDonald is Canada's Worst Make-up and Hair School- Blanche Macdonald Centre - Professional Training in Make-up Artistry, Hair Cutting, Coloring and Styling, Fashion Design and Merchandising, Esthetics/Spa Therapy, and Nails.

Comments

• Di
      30th of May, 2007

Yeah a lot of my friends got ripped off by blanche mcdonald, you should go some other school. This school is a real rip off. I have heard many people say nasty things and once you join you are forced to finish as they will not give any refund.

Even the teachers are really nasty. A good school would be John Casabalance and it is recognized worldwide. Blancemcdonald is the worst school for aesthetics, makeup and hair design

Darcy Posted - 5/30/2007 6:10:12 PM

Yep, you are right. That is my sister you are talking about. My mom had cancer and so she missed a couple classes and they terminated her without a refund. Mow we are taking them to court. BlancheMcDonald is as bad as they appear to be good. Join some other school.

This is the worst makeup school in Canada. Anyone needing to go to school for makeup and aesthetics should stay away from BlancheMacDonald. My friend joined and they ripped her off. Never gave her a refund cos she was sick as a dog.

These thieves have whats coming to them they ripped my best friend off and the world is going to know. BlancheMcDonald is Canada's Worst Make-up and Hair School- Blanche Macdonald Centre - Professional Training in Make-up Artistry, Hair Cutting, Coloring and Styling, Fashion Design and Merchandising, Esthetics/Spa Therapy, and Nails.

• Fr
      6th of Jun, 2007

This blanche mcdonald is useless. they appear to be nice at first but soon after they get your money you are not treated with respect. the teachers are rude and obnoxious and so is the recruiting director. She will actually go out of her way to make sure you fail if you cross her. Stay away from BLANCHE MCDONALD they have a really bad name in the industry, and if you are looking to get work after finishing here, good luck cos now everyone knows their reputation and you will not get a job.

• Am
      16th of Jul, 2007

I have attended Blanche Macdonald, and so have plenty of my girlfriends, and we all had a wonderful experience, I thought the teachers were well trained, and went out of there way to make sure you understood. I have heard great things about the school since i have graduated. It is well known in the industry, its to bad that these things have happened to you, but you cant deny that these people know what they are doing, and talking about. Its a tough school, yes. They don't mess around, your there to learn, and be trained. The teachers are tough, their not there to be your friends, although there are some who like to talk and joke around with their students. I would have to say if there is anyone out there looking to learn these trades, this is a well respected school, and you learn all the proper techniques. I really enjoyed my time there, and continue to work in my field and talk to the admins there.

• Pr
      7th of Jan, 2008

Exactly why are you making these comments and not your sister friends who were actually involved? That makes this just hearsay.

• Su
      17th of Jan, 2008

I am considering attending this school at the end of the year but I am concerned now with all the complaints. HAs anyone had a good experience?

• De
      31st of Jan, 2008

Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with complaints made against this school. My daughter started the full-time make-up diploma program in September and she absolutely loves it! She hasn't had any complaints worth talking about since she started. She loves the instructors and has been thoroughly enjoying each course. In fact, she's going to be really sad when she finishes in July. Before she went to Blanche, she read all kinds of negative comments posted by disgruntled students and wondered about the school's reputation. I'm glad she didn't listen to them because her's has been a wonderful experience. For anyone planning to go to Blanche, don't believe everything you read. Check it out for yourself. If you are serious about the make-up buisness, have an aptitute for creativity and are willing to put 100% into it, you won't be disappointed with this school. It will be what you make it.

14th of Apr, 2008

My daughter attended this school and it was the worst experience she has had.

The school is absolutely ridiculous and has no proper staffing and the instructors are very abnoxious.

If you want to lose your money, and learn nothing, then go to this school.

My dauher now attends ubc and blanche macdonald was a complete waste of her hard earned money.

• Ev
      14th of Apr, 2008

I arrive here from Europe and had send deposit to blanche macdonald school from my country. when i got here and ready to start the director lady say the place was not availalbe as they did not fill the class and i have to wait til next semester. I try to get money back but they say no you have register, so i say but you have to give money back becos you don't have the class.

i come all the way and spend many money to come and study on student visa, and now can not go and immigration said i have to go back. We are hard working family and education from canada gives good job but now i suffer for doing of blanche macdonald.

Not very nice people after they get money from you, so you have to be careful. Please you mustmake inquiry and never send money until you come to this school.

I go then to John Casablanca and they help me very muchand enrol me so i dont go to my country by immigration and wait till my father send more money to me. John Casblanca is very nice, the people nice and the staff very very good.

Evangela

• Pr
      15th of Apr, 2008

The company is a ripp off. You should try some other make up schools, but stay away from blanche macdonald.

Search results: 9 matching "BLANCHE MACDONALD"
    Blanche MacDonald Canada's Makeup and Hair School (complaint)
    Posted: 2007-05-30 by Binder [send email]
    Blanche MacDonald is Canada's worst make-up and hair school!

The teachers are known to be the worst in the...

BLANCHE MACDONALD CENTRE (complaint)
    Posted: 2008-04-11 by Angela Leblanc [send email]
    WORST MAKE UP ARTISTRY SCHOOL
    Industry loser in make up Make-up Artistry for Television and film, Fashion Design & Merchandising, Esthetics, and Nail Technology. Makeup Artist, Makeup Stylist, Make-Up Stylist, Make Up Stylist, Make-Up Artist, Makeup School, Stylist School, Make-Up Stylist Schools, Make Up Schools, makeup...

BLANCHE MACDONALD CETRE IS WORST MAKE UP SCHOOL (complaint)
    Posted: 2008-04-11 by Angela [send email]
    THE WORST MAKE UP ARTISTRY SCHOOL
    IF YOU WANT TO GET RIPPED OFF AND LEARN A BUNCH OF HIDEOUS MAKE UP TECHNIQUES, THEN GO AND WASTE YOUR MONEY AT BLANCHE MACDONALD

Company information:
    BLANCHE MACDONALD IS WORST MAKEUP ARTISTRY SCHOOL
    Vancouver, British Columbia
    Canada

Industry...

Posted: 2007-05-30 by Diana [send email]
    Blanche MacDonald is Canada's worst make-up and hair school!

Even the teachers are really nasty...

Posted: 2007-06-06 by Francisca [send email]

Posted: 2007-07-16 by Amber [send email]

Posted: 2008-04-14 by Joann [send email]
    Blanche MacDonald is Canada's worst make-up and hair school!
    My daughter attended this school and it was the worst experience she has had.

If you want to lose your money, and learn nothing, then go to this school.

Posted: 2008-04-14 by Evangela McCarthy [send email]
    Blanche MacDonald is Canada's worst make-up and hair school!

BLANCHE MACDONALD CENTRE (comment)
    Posted: 2008-04-11 by Angela [send email]
    WORST MAKE UP ARTISTRY SCHOOL
    Company information:
    BLANCHE MACDONALD IS WORST MAKEUP ARTISTRY SCHOOL
    Vancouver, British Columbia
    Canada

• Ka
      25th of Apr, 2008

I worked at a cosmetics counter with a graduate from blanche macdonald, and was advised not to waste my money on makeup school, she really regrets spending her money, lots of money. And she is only making a bit more than min wage for all the money spent on her makeup training and working in a department store at a cosmetics counter with all her training, and making less than the counter manager with no training except what the line she works for trained her on. She is an amazing makeup artist, but the work is not guaranteed, i work with alot of untrained artists that are getting more work than she is with her education, the school doesnt help with decent job placement. I was interested in attending this school but now that i was informed by my coworker that this school is way over priced when you can get the exact same training at another school im not going. I am going to the school of makeup art in toronto, i have gone to the marvel school of esthetics and loved it so i know it will be a better school and cheaper.

• Me
      30th of Jun, 2008

I have nothing but good to say about this school. True, they expect you to work hard, be there every day, and be prepared, but, hello! welcome to the work force. I agree, it is a lot of money, so get there prepared and ready to learn, and it wont be a waste of money. I was offered a job right out of school at a trendy downtowne Vancouver salon. I made more money than I have have ever made and the the job was great. When I moved back to my home town, I dropped off many resumes. Almost every placed phoned me, intrested in offering me a job. Because of my education I had the advantage of basically choosing where I wanted to work.

I graduated from B.M about 6 years ago. I have two daughters, so i am not in a salon any longer, however I now work in my home. I love it. I make my own hours and am quite busy.
    I laugh now because I just read through our local college brocshure and saw that there is a former B.M student there now teaching and ethetics program. (in AB, you dont have to be licenced).

I learned a lot and was very confident and knowledgable when starting my esthetics career.

• Ra
      19th of Sep, 2008

I have used Blanche MacDonald esthetics and now the new hair program's services (as a client) and have found the students to be even better than the actual people out there working in the industry and I've been modelling for many years and have seen some of the best around.

Over the 18 years I've been going there (City Square, Robson and back when they were on Smithe Street), I've met many wonderful students and not one person has said anything bad about their training, experience or instructors and said they were super pleased they chose them. I've been to Dominelli, London School, VCC and no one can top the training received there. I even went to modelling school with them in 1988 when I first started for a rather long period of time and everyone was so great and professional. In fact the owner is still the same professional woman I knew back in 1988 with the same high ethics and standards.

So all I'm saying people is that to do your research and you will find many people recognize this school and don't go on what you read here, do your own research by calling some top salons in Vancouver and see what they say.

• Je
      21st of Nov, 2008

I presently am attending the fashion design program at BMC. I love my teachers. Our teachers also taught at many schools in BC. So i understand that the two crazy lady that made the complaints about the school is just totally over the top. you want to know why you don't get a refund!!! you sign a contract for crying out loud. At the beginning of the school year, BMC sent at least 3 contracts, you probably didn't read them clearly. It's 3 pages double sided for heaven sake. Read the Contracts ladies. And by the way, your mother having cancer, really, it got nothing to do with the school. In the industry, people don't care. this is reality. life is hard. and also, the complaints are coming mostly from people that didn't finished the program. So, the accuracy of their exprience is just inadequate. Don't blame the school for your issues, put yourself in their shoes for once, they have family as well, they also have to take care of hundreds of people that's in the school. And really John Casablanca is not any cheaper you know!!! And if this is really the worst school like you said, how is it that half of the graduate are all from east coast, and its interesting that the school has survived for the last 40 years.

• Cu
      6th of Mar, 2009

I think you guys are just jealous this is a wonderful school and you wouldnt no what a good school is if your life depeneded on it .. get a life and find somthing else to ### about!Welcome to the real world wheres theres not sun shine and lollypops sweeties and open your eyes work hard for what you want cant handle it then move on you dont love it enough.. seriously people if you havnt been to the school then you have no idea .. and for the people who think they ripped you off, your own fault for putting yourself out there saying your going to attend there school what school would just give you, your money back just like that .. really come on

• Ly
      1st of Apr, 2009

bmc isnt that expensive, vancouver film schools makeup program costs 29 000, and BMC costs 12 000. and john casablanca is a scam, everyone knows it, and ive noticed that most of these comments have "copy and paste"'s from other comments, over and over and over.

• Ka
      18th of Apr, 2009

i have no idea what you guys are talking. Blanche Macdonald is an amazing school. You say that they have a bad reputation and that no one will hire you because of it? Sorry but they have one of the BEST reputations in the industry, potential employers are ALWAYS stopping by to talk to the students because they know when they graduate they will have the knowledge to be succesfull in their business. The teachers expect you to be there on time everyday and can be strict BECAUSE THEY ARE TRYING TO GET YOU PREPARED FOR WHAT EMPLOYERS WILL EXPECT FROM YOU. It is expensive, but you get what you pay for. If you're there to just mess around, then you've wasted your time and money.

• Me
      9th of May, 2009

I went through another hair school in 2001 and suffered an accident a little more than half way through. Any hair schools policy is that if you attend more than half way you are liable for the whole tuition regardless of the cicumstaces. READ the fine print. I didn't do that either beforehand. my hand was injured during a car accident and I had all the doctor's letter's in the world, but the point is WE signed that paper. BLANCHE MACDONALD is an excellent school i have never attended, but the head instructor of hair is the same guy who taught at my old school (phil) and he is amazing!! And well known. I don't believe for one second that no one who hire you because of your attending Blanche. Could it be your attitude? I think so. If your online placing blame on a well known school I'm willing to bet your attitude has a factor. Take responsibility for your own actions!! You wanna see bad staffing and snippy instuctors go over to John .C
    ALWAYS REMEMBER... regardless of what school you choose read the fine print!!!

• Ar
      17th of Jun, 2009

If you're looking to read full fledged reviews from alumni of Blanche visit http://www.artschoolreviews.ca/category/reviews/blanche-macdonald-centre.
    You'll find in-depth and informative reviews, rather than short and small comments.

• Na
      21st of Aug, 2009

I have been researching schools for Fashion Design in Vancouver, and the two I've been wavering between are Blanche Macdonald and John Casablancas. I live in Ontario, and have not actually visited either of the schools, but I did notice in a phone interview that the John Casablancas rep was significantly putting Blanche down...because they are in competition. Both schools are at around the same price, same length, and relatively simular curriculum. I am still choosing, and I am still open to both of the schools. However, I do wonder if the fashion industry is maybe just too ### for me. Does anyone have any suggestions of a great school at a simular price and length with kind-hearted, talented instructors? Or have all of your experiences with these industries been shallow and cruel?
    Thanks
    N

• Dg
      21st of Sep, 2009

I attended BM 7 years ago. Here is what I can present as a balanced view;

Instruction

The faculty are well qualified. You learn alot. There are no complaints about them. If you want to learn makeup, they will teach you. They also provide alot of opportunties to do real gigs, although unpaid, as a student, which is a good thing.

Administration

Positively evil. Especially Karen, the head of the program. For one, her makeup skills are abyssmal. She cant teach her way out of a paper bag. But thats not my complaint, thats just my opinion. BM introduced me to Rob Walters, a leading theatre artist. I took them up on the offer and began to help Rob out on productions. Got alot of great education from him, really worthwhile. I missed 3 classes, over ONE year, and was kicked out of the program for that. I have a Ph.D. from University of Toronto, served as an Academic Dean in Toronto, and worked at Ryerson University, UBC, and Simon Fraser in admini and faculty. In all my days I have NEVER seen someone expelled for missing 3 classes. I lodged an appeal and was readmitted by going above Karens head, to the director, who was a fair minded gal. At the end of the day, I withdrew from the program, I didnt want to stay in such an anal retentive, essentially negative environment.

I went on to become the National Artist for Estee Lauder, then for Arden. I then accepted a faculty position at the School of Makeup Art on Yorkville Avenue in Toronto.

So what is my final verdict?

I would avoid BM and seek out JC or another program. All the good instructors in the world dont make up for the repressive and old style high school style of administration they have in place there. For a tuition of 8 grand, I feel, with a Ph.D. behind me, at 49 years old, that I should be able to miss 3 classes without being expelled. The 3 classes I missed were because I was workign on set on production, and couldnt make the class. I wasnt hanging out at the beach, I was gaining industry experience.

I wouldnt submit anyone to this type of treatment.